Greetings from Idaho

Kit

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a 23-year old from Idaho. I have mild bilateral hearing loss from my loud-angsty-music teenage years. I first realized I was hoh a couple of years ago, when I was working in a busy sandwich shop; I noticed that if I was not looking a customer in the face when they were ordering, I was unlikely to get their order right on the first try. I tell people, "if I can't see your lips, I can't hear you."
I used to work for a company that served people with developmental disabilities, so I know some signs, but many of them are modified ASL signs. I am interested in learning more sign, and maybe one day going to school to become an interpreter. I would also like to become more a part of the Deaf community.

Welcome. I lived in Pocatello 4 1/2 years going to Idaho State. Go, Bengals!

Welcome Kit, you IMd me the other day! Glad to see you took the plunge. We welcome EVERYONE here...........we even have a few unilaterally hoh folks who post.

I was hearing impaired from the begining but I hid my loss well in Highschool by making sure I watched everyone talk, If I missed what they were saying I blamed it on daydreaming and asked them to repeat it. Now I have digital hearing aids in both ears that I wear most of the time. I am using ASL Deluxe computer software that I bought thru the store here to help teach myself sign. It's by Instant Immersion and it even has a brief history of ASL in the beginning.Also I went to ASL American Sign Language and they have cue cards you can print out and put the answer on back and get some one to help test you with. They also have a link to fingerspelling and number signs. It picks a random word and fingerspells it for you so you can get faster at it and betteer at it before you go on to learn other things. Dr. Bill as he calls himself seems to be a good guy just wanting to help people learn any way he can. Good luck. Hey we can both download the gallaudet type font off the website and send each other emails with letters attached and we have to translate them and send back to the other person if you want. I think that would be fun to do a little pen pal thing like high school or something.:giggle:

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! It's with courage and guts to tell another person to 'look' directly at you so you're able to 'read their lips' and of course, keeps from messing up the order the first time-- :lol: Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! :)

:wave:
~RR

Kit, Yep, U of I is an enclave for liberals, all right. Anyway, the main topic isn't "Got yer spuds in yet?" The panhandle is certainly the prettiest part of Idaho, in my opinion, although the area around Ketchum and Caldwell are nice, too.

Back