Greetings and Salutations

sabachtani

Reaction score
I'm a college student from North Idaho, currently taking ASL classes. I've always had a great love of language but resources are limited in my area so I haven't been able to take up learning anything in earnest until I started attending college. When I registered for classes at my local college, I was yearning to take up a new language, and I picked ASL because the idea of communicating in an entirely different way than I had been used to seemed fascinating. I wanted to open my mind, and I thought there was a definite beauty to a visual method of communication, like a living, breathing artform (although that could be said of any language, but it seems especially true of ASL). It turns out it was a PERFECT choice for me!

My ASL instructor is amazing, and I'm enjoying my studies so much that I am seriously thinking about starting a career that involves ASL, whether in education or something else I'm not sure quite yet.

Not only do I love the language, but since I've started taking courses my eyes have been opened to the idea of a deaf culture :shock: . As a HOH person who grew up alienated to the normal hearing world, this has sparked a burning interest in me. I had never thought anything of my HOH until now. It definitely caused me problems when communicating in the past, especially as a young child- and it still does every once in a while- but I have learned to deal with the frustrations and misunderstandings well enough over the years that it's become much less of a problem.

I have spent about a week browsing these forums, so I'm new not only to AD, but I'm very much a newbie to everything HOH/Deaf related. I hope to learn more and grow as a person from being here, and I hope that I can be a beneficial addition to the alldeaf forum!

Wishing you all the very best,
Sabachtani

It CONSTANTLY amazes me how many hoh or functionally hoh as kids come here and post that they wish they'd had ASL early on. Hoh kids are the most auditory verbaled kids of kids with hearing loss. (with the exception of not having auditory verbal therapy) That indicates something is screwed up with the whole auditory verbal movement. It's good for kids to develop speech skills, so that they'll have an additional skill to handle the hearing world with BUT it's also good for kids to develop ASL and be a part of the Deaf world. Damn and HLAA wonders why there aren't a lot more young dhh folks involved with their organization. It's b/c their approach is FUCKING boring.

I'm a college student from North Idaho, currently taking ASL classes.
My ASL instructor is amazing, and I'm enjoying my studies so much that I am seriously thinking about starting a career that involves ASL, whether in education or something else I'm not sure quite yet.

Not only do I love the language, but since I've started taking courses my eyes have been opened to the idea of a deaf culture :shock: . As a HOH person who grew up alienated to the normal hearing world, this has sparked a burning interest in me. I had never thought anything of my HOH until now. It definitely caused me problems when communicating in the past, especially as a young child- and it still does every once in a while- but I have learned to deal with the frustrations and misunderstandings well enough over the years that it's become much less of a problem.

Wishing you all the very best,
Sabachtani

So you've started on your journey to Deafhood! So glad to have you! You do know you could transfer to NTID or Gally or a college with a strong dhh population. I think it would be SO neat if you became a TOD or something. Sadly they're closing Idaho School for the Deaf and Blind, but there's still Washington School for the Deaf and Oregon School for the Deaf (which is HOH friendly)

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I appreciate it. I feel like I'm just peering at the world through a crack in the door. So much left to see!

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I appreciate it. I feel like I'm just peering at the world through a crack in the door. So much left to see!

Welcome to Alldeaf! Give us a little time and we will help you crack that door a little wider. Eventually you will be comfortable walking through it any time you please.

I grew up HOH and only in the last 15 years really got into the Deaf culture so I understand where you are coming from. If something doesn't make sense, ask, pretty good chance someone else was thinking the same thing (someone like me...:giggle:). :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back