Grand jury announce decision on Darren Wilson on TV 8PM tonight

nope. college degree is not required for being a local cop unless you're aiming for state police.
It depends on the locality. Each one is different.

Charleston, SC:

• A bachelor’s degree or above; OR
  • An associate’s degree with 4 or more years of law enforcement or military experience; OR
  • A high school diploma or GED with 6 or more years of law enforcement or military experience

http://www.lawenforcementedu.net/south-carolina/charleston/

. . . historically and statistically - the grand jury almost always returns with "yes"- would could be viewed as an abuse in justice system by prosecutor. that's why this was surprising for America that the grand jury returned with "no". But the prosecutor CAN disregard grand jury's decision and go ahead to arrest and charge Officer Wilson if he wants to. That is usually viewed as a politically-motivated move.
The fact that the Grand Jury found no probable cause could also indicate that the prosecution case had no legs to begin with, and that the case was brought to the Grand Jury only because of political pressure. That is, if it weren't for political pressure, the case would never have even been brought to the Grand Jury in the first place because there was no probable cause.

I am thinking out loud "Why are cops always getting away with murder to innocent people every time they went to court? Or never been arrested except some of them get suspended with pay? When the cops are doing wrong with how to talk and restrain the innocent people without hurting or killing innocent people. It just made me sad and fear of the police department that don't give a damn on innocent citizens. Police cops can hurt us when they are full of anger and want to beat the shit out of us like a boxing bags. We are the boxing bags. Geeze. :(
It happens more often than it should (it shouldn't happen ever). But it doesn't "always" happen. There are plenty of good cops and police departments.

My understanding is that the decision to use the Grand Jury was also affected by the fact that the one that would hear it had already been appointed several months before Michael Brown was shot. The idea being that it was clear that it was NOT selected based on what the makeup of that jury was most likely to decide and thus less likely to not have their decision accepted. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

People could say the same about the jury on the OJ Simpson trial. "Oh because there were black people on the jury so he was found not guilty."

Really, the truth is we all don't know what evidence either juries were presented with so people cant say it is because of the color of the juries that was the deciding factor. Otherwise, it makes the American justice system invalid which is not a good thing.

Yes, I understand that people will say that but if they want to say that, I will throw the OJ Simpson trial back at them.

OJ case is totally difference that was not a racial issues , it was a domestic violence case . So I see no point in bring it up.

Yes, it is awful that the schools had to close because of the violence. However, the schools weren't called off for a week, just Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week they were closed anyway for Thanksgiving.

Good grief woman I know the school is closes b/c of thanksgiving !

When Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston, the police chief told his officers that looting would not be tolerated. He gave orders that looters would be shot, not arrested. Result: no looting happened.

Oh, and that was Chief Reuben Greenberg--a black man.

No that was a Black man . And I saw good for him .

Another problem is how to encourage young black people to join the police force when the community disrespects the police so much. Why would anyone want to become a police officer if all their family and friends hate the police? That's a problem.

Yes! The cops have to earn the trust of the community and that is not only Black people , there were White people and Rabbis in the protest too.
The cops needs to start going to the grade schools and talking to students about gun safety and what to do if a stranger come up to them. If the cops can earn the trust of the kids when they're younger they 'may' trust the cop when they get older.

I can't believe what is going on ! Building are being burnt down and news reporters are getting hit with rocks or tear gas.

I wish the rioters would move on. They just don't want to hear facts. To be honest, I'm tired of this stupid racial issue when it is not. They're disappointed in my brother's biracial niece (she is half black.) on Facebook for not standing for the black community. Blah Blah Blah. She tries to convince them to look at those facts, but naw..they don't care. Currently, it's exploding all over her page. At least, she doesn't care if any friend deletes her disagree with her.

OJ case is totally difference that was not a racial issues , it was a domestic violence case . So I see no point in bring it up.
Some people tried to make it a racial issue. There were threats of mob violence if OJ had been convicted. It was a real concern at the time.

Yes! The cops have to earn the trust of the community and that is not only Black people , there were White people and Rabbis in the protest too.
The cops needs to start going to the grade schools and talking to students about gun safety and what to do if a stranger come up to them. If the cops can earn the trust of the kids when they're younger they 'may' trust the cop when they get older.

I can't believe what is going on ! Building are being burnt down and news reporters are getting hit with rocks or tear gas.
Yes, developing community relations can help. That's something else Chief Greenberg did. He got his officers out of patrol cars and onto foot patrols, bicycles, and horses. He wanted to get the cops and people closer.

It still requires the parents to develop their children's attitudes about police. They can learn positive things about the police at school but they copy the attitudes and beliefs of their parents, older siblings, and peers. If the rest of the community doesn't get onboard with that then the talks they get at school won't get very far.

What sometimes happens with school cops (resource officers), is that the students do develop good relationships with their own officers at their school but they don't transfer that positive attitude to cops in general. They sometimes believe that their resource officer is the exception to "cops" in general.

I found it also disturbing to see many kids in the mobs that were out last night. What kind of parents let their kids attend riots late at night?!

I see that there are lot of people, just demonation peace outside of the federal building in syracuse ny.

Yes, developing community relations can help. That's something else Chief Greenberg did. He got his officers out of patrol cars and onto foot patrols, bicycles, and horses. He wanted to get the cops and people closer.

It still requires the parents to develop their children's attitudes about police. They can learn positive things about the police at school but they copy the attitudes and beliefs of their parents, older siblings, and peers. If the rest of the community doesn't get onboard with that then the talks they get at school won't get very far.

What sometimes happens with school cops (resource officers), is that the students do develop good relationships with their own officers at their school but they don't transfer that positive attitude to cops in general. They sometimes believe that their resource officer is the exception to "cops" in general.

I am not taking about school cops , I am talking about the city or town cops
going to the school . The cops in my city will bring their dogs out to a park to show people how they're trained or have gun safety training for adult to go to going . The cops tried to get out and talk to people., I was talking to a cop
and I told him the reason I was looking at his face the whole time is b/c I am
HOH and the cop he knew that. I was glad to hear that , I try to get to know the cops as much as I can. I really feel the cops are partly the blame for what happen , if they had a better relationship with the Black community this shooting MAY had not happen. Something needs to be done so people can trust cops.
The parents may had been out with their kids , or least I hope they were. Al Sharpton was saying on TV today the peaceful protesters are for Mike Brown and the one looting and burning things down are for themselves. The Brown family did not want the rioting to happen all over again and it a shame people are respecting that. I would never let my child go out
to a riot in a thousand years

Last edited:
I am not taking about school cops , I am talking about the city or town cops
going to the school . . .
Yes, I know. I was just explaining that it sometimes takes more than just talks by cops at schools. A talk by a visitor cop is not the same as developing a long-term daily relationship, such as can happen with a school cop.

The cops in my city will bring their dogs out to a park to show people how they're trained or have gun safety training for adult to go to going . The cops tried to get out and talk to people. . .
Yes, they do that here, too.

I was talkie to a cop and I told him the reason I was looking at his face the whole time is b/c I am HOH and the cop he knew that. I was glad to hear that , I try to get to know the cops as much as I can. I really feel the cops are partly the blame for what happen , if they had a better relationship with the Black community this shooting MAY had not happen. Something needs to be done so people can trust cops.
I'm sure that the Ferguson community and cops needed a better relationship but I don't know if that would have prevented this shooting. It might have affected the people's reaction to the shooting though, if there had been more trust between them and the police.

The parents may had been out with their kids , or least I hope they were.
It didn't look like it but even if they were, why would parents take their children to a potentially violent, angry crowd late at night? What kind of family evening is that? The family that riots together stays together?

Al Sharpton was saying on TV today the peaceful protesters are for Mike Brown and the one looting and burning things down are for themselves. The Brown family did not want the rioting to happen all over again and it a shame people are respecting that. I would never let my child go out
to a riot in a thousand years.
Good points. (I know you meant that people are not respecting the Browns' wishes).

I believe more cops were killed this year than "innocent" young black men. I would never suggest law enforcement as a career choice anymore. Both my brothers are cops and both have been seriously injured, one permanently. The pay sucks, have to work all holidays and if you get hurt on the job they put you through hell.

Most cops go their whole career without shooting someone. Now cops are going to be afraid to protect themselves due to the high chance of being criminally prosecuted. A few days ago a black cop shot a white man and it barely made the news and there will be no rioting by white people.

The media needs to be overhauled and stop targeting the race issue such as white cop vs black civilians. Everyone should be treated equally and be respected. Get the facts straight, everyone is tired of all this same thing again and again. Unfortunately, I doubt this will end as we'll probably will hear more cases like this again in the future.

The media needs to be overhauled and stop targeting the race issue such as white cop vs black civilians. Everyone should be treated equally and be respected. Get the facts straight, everyone is tired of all this same thing again and again. Unfortunately, I doubt this will end as we'll probably will hear more cases like this again in the future.

I totally agree!!!!!!!

Witnesses can't keep a straight testimony, physical and timing of the evidence conflicts with initial reports, hand picked representation, of course Wilson is off the hook. That's our justice system at work.

Back