Grammar

Deafies can be grammarians as well. They look down on people who have 'bad' ASL. The difference is that the written word is a mark of education.

Also, sometimes bad grammar helps me out on the internet, eg, when I say something like
as it can show my tone and suggest what it sounds like out loud.

People don't tend to get into flame wars in person re: grammar. :) I suspect the reason why Deafies on here don't get up in arms about it is because they're sensitive to other people's backgrounds.

My daughter is hearing. She is also a terp. She does NOT hesitate to correct my ASL -- Though she would never dream of correcting my English no matter how bad I Oxymlocate it.

I'm pretty sure this is more of a hallmark of online culture (especially on websites where the majority of communication is done via text, such as a forum) than in the greater hearing culture, since my experience with other people in the general population is that grammar is much less of a focus there (such as in emails, text messages, etc) than online.

it could also be a generational hearing thing, too...

There is one grammar Nazi in the family, used to be one at work. Fortunately he retired.

Seems like there is always one somewhere.

There is one grammar Nazi in the family, used to be one at work. Fortunately he retired.

Seems like there is always one somewhere.

Yes, there are always those that prefer to ignore the message in order to concentrate on the superficiality of the grammar.

My personal opinion.

Grammar is okay for a guideline or if you are writing professionally.

But for everyday communication:

Creativity is best.

There was no prescriptive grammar in Shakespeare's day nor in the days of Charles Dickens. It was created to keep illiterate people like them in line. It was obvious to the people of their own time that the were out of hand in the way they used words and they needed firm rules to keep them in check.

It is only us, three or four hundred years later, who cannot get it through our thick skulls how poorly these people wrote.

Think how much better they would have written had they followed the rules we recognize as proper English Grammar today.

:hmm: That's possible.

However, my parents think I don't know a lot of words because I have no idea how to pronounce the one that I do know. Phonics has never been my forte. They're always explaining the meanings of words that I already know much to my annoyance.

I've seen the hearing come down so hard on deaf when it comes to reading and writing that I became very conscious of my grammar; I'm always correcting my grammar but I never seem to find all of my mistakes before I post. They will dismiss those who have problems with writing and reading as not being very intelligent.

And it's not just deaf who has trouble with writing. I can think of one hearing poster right here on AD who has trouble writing. Every time I read that AD poster's post, I'm always aware of the effort that she put into her posts. It's clear from her posts that writing does not come easily or naturally to her. I'm sure she has gotten a lot of flak for this.

Not sure if you're referring to me, DS. However, if you are, the answer to your question is ironically, I have NOT. The only person who has been critical of my grammar on here has been...... ME. I'm extremely critical of the way I write because I know my grammar is subpar. I'll never be happy with myself or my writing. It's just the way it is. I do the best I can, though, and will get cranky with anyone who tries to call me out for my grammatical errors.

Not sure if you're referring to me, DS. However, if you are, the answer to your question is ironically, I have NOT. The only person who has been critical of my grammar on here has been...... ME. I'm extremely critical of the way I write because I know my grammar is subpar. I'll never be happy with myself or my writing. It's just the way it is. I do the best I can, though, and will get cranky with anyone who tries to call me out for my grammatical errors.

I was indeed referring to you. I tend to be very critical of my grammar as well. I don't like it when others correct my grammar either. :giggle:

I don't worry about grammar (too much) but I don't like text speak in forums. I also hate the silly online errors like your/you're their/there/they're then/than rediculous etc. I feel if no-one cares then the myth you can type anything that sounds right is perpetuated. I do accept though that deaf people think in ASL and therefore English is not their first language.

Some of those more common errors are hurry. I'm often guilty of that. To write correct grammar and do the most concise writing job and make yourself clear -- Takes time.

In order to be sure you are writing your best you need to proof read and usually rewrite.

Time.

Right now I gotta beta werk in 20 mins.

Laters.

Some of those more common errors are hurry. I'm often guilty of that. To write correct grammar and do the most concise writing job and make yourself clear -- Takes time.

In order to be sure you are writing your best you need to proof read and usually rewrite.

Time.

Right now I gotta beta werk in 20 mins.

Laters.

I do that all day long in my professional communication. When I am online, I rarely take the time to proof read and make certain I have not made spelling or grammar errors. Just don't see the need in casual conversation. But there are those that continually feel the need to bust me out on any slight error I may make as a result. Oh, well. I guess I should be grateful they are paying such close attention to my posts.:lol:

I was indeed referring to you. I tend to be very critical of my grammar as well. I don't like it when others correct my grammar either. :giggle:

I'm touched that you realize how hard grammar is for me. I really am! Thank you for being so understanding as I do try. At this point, I figure that if I can get my point across, I'm doing alright. Having said that, I correct the obvious errors that I make as I go along, but, I don't catch them all.

I also figure that this is NOT graduate school. If it were, I'd probably go completely insane over the way I write. As it is, I'm SO hard on myself. I have OCD, and, I could honestly sit here ALL DAY and rewrite my posts. It's SO not worth it, so as I said, as I long as I've gotten my point across and it's readable, that's good enough (or that's what I tell myself!).

I'm touched that you realize how hard grammar is for me. I really am! Thank you for being so understanding as I do try. At this point, I figure that if I can get my point across, I'm doing alright. Having said that, I correct the obvious errors that I make as I go along, but, I don't catch them all.

I also figure that this is NOT graduate school. If it were, I'd probably go completely insane over the way I write. As it is, I'm SO hard on myself. I have OCD, and, I could honestly sit here ALL DAY and rewrite my posts. It's SO not worth it, so as I said, as I long as I've gotten my point across and it's readable, that's good enough (or that's what I tell myself!).

I tell you that, too. Some just need to take the iron rod out of their spine.

There is a hearing member (name is intentionally being withheld) on this forum that keeps throwing the "I'm better at English than you" attitude around...it really is RUDE. I'm shocked that people still interact with this person. :(

There is a hearing member (name is intentionally being withheld) on this forum that keeps throwing the "I'm better at English than you" attitude around...it really is RUDE. I'm shocked that people still interact with this person. :(

Yeah, I am too.

Maybe this shouldn't shock me, but, it does. I'm tempted to ask who this person is, but then I thought... "Never mind. I really don't want to know!"

The thought that anyone; let alone a hearing person, would throw around a superior attitude on a deaf forum for any reason disgusts me.

The thought that anyone; let alone a hearing person, would throw around a superior attitude on a deaf forum for any reason disgusts me.

Yeah, I'm trying to think of who that is too. At first I thought I figured it out, but then I realized the person I am thinking of is deaf. So I don't know ..

That's the important part. :D

I think I can guess. I hate this attitude as well.

Back