Graduate School

mewpal

Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently applied to 3 graduate school programs in Texas. I just finished resolving a paperwork mishap for one of them. I should now hear from all 3 within a few weeks. I can't stop checking my email! Have any of you applied to graduate school? How do they notify you if you aren't accepted? If you are? What about interviews? What is graduate school like? I have a lot of questions! Feel free to ask me any questions too!

i'm not in graduate school yet (i'm in my final year of study towards my bachelor's degree), but i will be applying within the next year or two. i have several friends who are in grad school who say it's much more demanding than an undergraduate program and requires lots of preparation when it comes to class projects and studying. as for how a university notifies you of your admission or denial, that depends on the campus. my university notifies applicants via e-mail and certified mail.

Hi all!

I recently applied to 3 graduate school programs in Texas. I just finished resolving a paperwork mishap for one of them. I should now hear from all 3 within a few weeks. I can't stop checking my email! Have any of you applied to graduate school? How do they notify you if you aren't accepted? If you are? What about interviews? What is graduate school like? I have a lot of questions! Feel free to ask me any questions too!

Which three?

I've attempted to apply to one recently about a few months back. It's one of the few Californian graduate programs for Criminalistics aka Forensic Science. Instead of applying straight on, I contacted the Dean thru email and asked for some quick advice on applying - she was very helpful and I learned that I needed some other things done prior to applying. I wasted a bunch of time with the GRE/GMAT beforehand, because I didn't realize that admissions for this program by your balaccurette alumni status would be scrutinized. It didn't even state it on the admissions registration. 3 months of GRE studying down the drain. Anyways..

I would suggest prior to applying, you contact them or the counseling board for the grad program to see how well you will fare. Better is done in person. But you've applied already, so all you can do is anticipate and hope they bring the good news.

All I can say is.. if you got a little measly letter :(. But if you get a nice fat package, chances are ;). Good luck anyhow.

Hi all!

They will generally notify you by mail once they have narrowed it down and done personal interviews. Personally, I found grad school to be a whole different world than undergrad. I truly enjoyed it.

It usually varies by college. I would hope that they would contact me whether I was accepted or not. It can be a pain in the butt when they say nothing.

What I would suggest you do is find out if and when they will inform you. That way, you can set a date to contact them if you hear nothing. Nothing wrong with a follow-up email. :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. If I don't get in this time, I'll definitely do what you suggested, naisho. I applied to University of Texas at Austin, Baylor College of Medicine, and University of Houston Health science Center.

I have been following up with everyone, and was told that I should have an answer for Baylor next week, and for the UTs sometime in February.

YAY! Here's hoping!

I've attempted to apply to one recently about a few months back. It's one of the few Californian graduate programs for Criminalistics aka Forensic Science. Instead of applying straight on, I contacted the Dean thru email and asked for some quick advice on applying - she was very helpful and I learned that I needed some other things done prior to applying. I wasted a bunch of time with the GRE/GMAT beforehand, because I didn't realize that admissions for this program by your balaccurette alumni status would be scrutinized. It didn't even state it on the admissions registration. 3 months of GRE studying down the drain. Anyways..

I would suggest prior to applying, you contact them or the counseling board for the grad program to see how well you will fare. Better is done in person. But you've applied already, so all you can do is anticipate and hope they bring the good news.

All I can say is.. if you got a little measly letter :(. But if you get a nice fat package, chances are ;). Good luck anyhow.

see bold print of your post. can you elaborate more on that? Do you mean that they're seeing how's your alumni connection?

mewpal - good luck! what do you wish to study in? I might go back to study in urban planning or something boring :giggle:

Good luck!!

Jillio how was it different?

because at grad school - you get to study exactly what you want to learn in depth and few other aspects such as maturity, enhanced research skill, knowledge increase, and the best part - befriending the brilliant/unique colleagues.

Sweeeet. I can't wait till grad school!

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............ it's not a joke. you really have to study seriously. I ain't ready for that yet. I just want to make money and relax for a while. :cool2:

Back