GOP Wants to Raise Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite a radical proposal - I'd be interested in seeing it put into practice to see its real impact.
Me, too. :)

My last good ear blew out suddenly and without warning a week ago causing profound hearing loss. Last Thursday I began the paperwork for Disability SS; The next day the press announced that SSI is insolvent, due to the overload of new claims.

My timing for going deaf is impeccable!!!!!

It's not the end of the world - it just feels like it. Hang in there!!!

It's a nickname for the Republican party that dates back to 1888. It was first used in a newspaper editorial.

The Origins of the Republican Party

"The nickname of the Republican Party didn't get attached to it until 1888. Previously, the nickname had been used by Southern Democrats. After the Republicans won back the Presidency and Congress for the first time since the Grant administration, the Chicago Tribune proclaimed: "Let us be thankful that under the rule of the Grand Old Party ... these United States will resume the onward and upward march which the election of Grover Cleveland in 1884 partially arrested." "

It's a nickname for the Republican party that dates back to 1888. It was first used in a newspaper editorial.

The Origins of the Republican Party

"The nickname of the Republican Party didn't get attached to it until 1888. Previously, the nickname had been used by Southern Democrats. After the Republicans won back the Presidency and Congress for the first time since the Grant administration, the Chicago Tribune proclaimed: "Let us be thankful that under the rule of the Grand Old Party ... these United States will resume the onward and upward march which the election of Grover Cleveland in 1884 partially arrested." "
I reading it understand clear :)

Get rid of all income and personal property taxes and support the Fair Tax.

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
I agree it would be a great idea to reform our tax system, but I'm not so much a fan of the Fair Tax. While it may encourage saving, it would have its own complications with compliance and enforcement and I'm afraid it would be too regressive. What I prefer is a simple income tax that's mildly progressive (maybe two or three brackets) and allows deductions only for charitable giving. The tax brackets would be lower than they are now, but there would be fewer exemptions, so it would balance out to take in about the same revenue as a percentage of GDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back