Giving up on hearing aids

Discontinuing to use your HA is your right but keep in mind that hearing loss has been correlated with negative social, physical and emotional effects. Recent studies have shown that people with hearing loss are more likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s or dementia, and depression. Untreated hearing loss can also cause people to withdraw from social settings or activities they previously enjoyed.

Here are the articles from AARP and Betterhearing.

Alzheimers's and Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss and Depression

Lyric Extended Wear Hearing Aids

Well only if you actaully see being Hoh or d/Deaf as "depressing" lol

I'm PROUD of being Hoh/Deaf - wouldn't want to be anything else!

Also those studies typically rely heavily on a group with hearing loss who DO consider themselves isolated etc rather than people who are immersed in a culture and community in which they can communicate freely, as well as having attended a literacy proficiency level which allows us to freely communicate with anyone who doesn't sign (or is difficult to speech read).

The more people investigate those studies, the more they're likely to find that it's not that the person is Hoh or d/Deaf that "increases the risk" it's other factors which are present for SOME people who also happen to be hoh/d/Deaf (and typically LD, who don't want to become involved in socialization with other Hoh/d/Deaf persons.

I stopped wearing a hearing aid in my right ear years ago, as I have next to no usable hearing in there. I'm only aided in my left ear, although to hearing people it seems to mean that my right ear hears just fine! I feel like wearing a dud hearing aid in my right ear just to get the point across that I have issues with BOTH ears!

Back