Giving up on hearing aids

I gave up my HAs for like 10 years and did fine but then I missed listening to music so I went back to wearing them again. However, I dont wear them for the purpose of interacting with others when I go out..I just like to hear the loud music. hehehe

I got my CI for much the same reason. I wasn't able to listen to music for 20 years as a result of severe recruitment and I missed being able to listen to music. My fashion tastes are not necessarily dictated by the bands I listen to.

I listen to a lot of country music on the radio though I'm told that if I could understand the words, I wouldn't like country music. I've tried to listen to punk music but it sounds like static to me. However my fashion tastes are influenced by both Punk and Goth bands.

Yep. That is the standard ASL sign. The other one could be considered insulting. My Italian friends tell me it is a cultural gesture for "Up yours."

Yes, that one is NOT a LIS sign (LIS is italian sign language) but a simple everyday gesture which hearies use, too:
337737_fangulo.gif

So quite clearly understandable from eveyone around here!! But it's actually quite insulting so use it carefully :P

Messymama, I love the emoticon for it!! Where did you find that?

I would never do such a thing in public. I thought that insult was widely known. Deafskeptic, you are clearly a nicer person than I am not to recognize that one! :lol: Please note it does NOT mean "Italian..." anything, it's just a plain and simple insult - of the fightin' words variety. :shock:

Messymama, lucky you to be living in Italy. I've traveled quite a bit there, my father's parents came from Lucca, but I've never lived there. That's on my bucket list.

I wonder what being born prelingually deaf (just like me) has to do with giving up hearing aids? I could choose to give up mine today. Or not.
To drphil, in order to be deaf, you cannot hear anything...total silience. Hence, why wear hearing aids. Of course, we know that many/most deaf can hear and some can hear quite well with HAs.

Yes, that one is NOT a LIS sign (LIS is italian sign language) but a simple everyday gesture which hearies use, too:
337737_fangulo.gif

So quite clearly understandable from eveyone around here!! But it's actually quite insulting so use it carefully :P

Just as I thought!:giggle:

Yup. That's why I only use it with my husband. We can laugh at each other's insults, but it wouldn't be something to be done in public.

I have HA's and only wear them sporadically. Like in situations where I need to hear...like client meetings classes/workshops. I also do tarot readings, and wear them then. But every day at home...not usually.

I rarely ever use my HAs anymore. They were useless and I operate better without them. I still have a number of misunderstandings when communicating with hearies but I'd rather have that then be continually frustrated with the HAs. Plus, I found them uncomfortable to wear for a full day. Itchy ears.

PFH: the question I posed to you was specific-not what some/any parents did with their children re hearing impaired or deaf.

The term prelingual deaf is specific one can't hear from birth,unfortunately and doesn't have "auditory memory".

I am aware of course the multiple/contradictory use of certain words eg deaf/Deaf.

From prior thread- when I mentioned that-to me- deaf was silence you maintained that "condition" didn't apply to you because of your use of ASL.Another instance of words means what I say-so it seems. ASL apparently "assists in hearing"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

PFH: the question I posed to you was specific-not what some/any parents did with their children re hearing impaired or deaf.

The term prelingual deaf is specific one can't hear from birth,unfortunately and doesn't have "auditory memory".I am aware of course the multiple/contradictory use of certain words eg deaf/Deaf.

From prior thread- when I mentioned that-to me- deaf was silence you maintained that "condition" didn't apply to you because of your use of ASL.Another instance of words means what I say-so it seems. ASL apparently "assists in hearing"?

Actually, that is not correct. Prelingually deafened refers to becoming deaf before having developed a native language. Congenitially deaf refers to having been born deaf.

Many prelingually deafened people have auditory memory. I think you are confused about what, neurologically and psychologically, auditory memory is and how it functions.

The term prelingual deaf is specific one can't hear from birth,unfortunately and doesn't have "auditory memory".

I am aware of course the multiple/contradictory use of certain words eg deaf/Deaf.

I answered specifically as well.

I looked at supported aural methods such as SSE and cued speech, which are far more my cup of tea, but far less widely used.

SSE is widely used in UK cos lots of oral deaf grew up mainstream learning sign first time start of with SSE, new learners hearing people signing uses SSE, teachers of deaf who can sign usually use SSE (rare few uses proper BSL). communication support workers uses SSE, total communication schools uses SSE and finally BSL Deaf need be taught how to write in English and English grammar have to be taught in SSE.

I wore aids on and off growing up, though most of time it was in my ears but not always switched on. Most of time was switched off. When I was 16 I stopped wearing it most of time but not completely cos it will causes problems with my parents, I had to go slow and finally stopped completely when I was 18.

I hated hearing aids cos sounds makes me can't focus and it sorta like hack into my brain and pounding and beating my poor brain. That what it felt like. It not loud, it quiet but not comfortable at all.

Yes, a prelingual deaf could still have some auditory memory even with just an hearing aid. It's just that they usually didn't hear as well as their hearing counterparts, particularly some of the speech sounds.

Yes, a prelingual deaf could still have some auditory memory even with just an hearing aid. It's just that they usually didn't hear as well as their hearing counterparts, particularly some of the speech sounds.

So what? They STILL have auditory memory. Regardless of how clear, unclear, loud, soft, whatnot the sounds are.

So what? They STILL have auditory memory. Regardless of how clear, unclear, loud, soft, whatnot the sounds are.

Exactly. Too many people commenting on something they don't really understand.

Deafskeptic, when you went from HAs to a CI, was it difficult to make the adjustment? Once you got used to it, did you find the sound quality of the CI better than your aids were?

I rarely ever use my HAs anymore. They were useless and I operate better without them. I still have a number of misunderstandings when communicating with hearies but I'd rather have that then be continually frustrated with the HAs. Plus, I found them uncomfortable to wear for a full day. Itchy ears.

I feel I am almost there. :roll:

Untreated hearing loss can also cause people to withdraw from social settings or activities they previously enjoyed.

Equally true of "treated" hearing loss which doesn't work!

Thankfully I didn't have to make that decision in the end as a quality audiologist arrived in my life at the right moment and fitted me a pair of what is essentially a Naida V SP which are so insanely better than the last set of hearing aids I am going to continue on this path. I'm excited by the hybrid implant technology and wonder whether it will ever get to a stage where it can cover the mid-frequencies without disturbing the outside frequencies, or whether anyone will ever be prepared to make the ethical leap of removing hearing which is apparently there but is not functional in pursuit of something which may be functional. Ho hum, Naidas for now!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

AlleyCat said:
I wonder what being born prelingually deaf (just like me) has to do with giving up hearing aids? I could choose to give up mine today. Or not.

I think that for those of us who are congenitally or prelingually deaf (unilaterally or bilaterally) or Hoh and don't consider ourselves "less" because of it - ie we're truly happy in our own skin, have a strong positive identity etc - we tend to also have the opinion that while we may use HA (or even CI) for our own enjoyment & benefit (music etc), we're not going to be the ones wearing them 18hours a day, always being the one putting in 110% to communicate while everyone (hearing) around us to pretends the HA make us hearing so they don't need to make accommodations etc.

I've never been aided on my right side (+120db,deaf) but as an adult I have used a HA for my left side (mild-mod HL,Hoh) - when I want to and only when it helps with understanding not hinders it (it's a Phonak MAXX BTE, nearly useless with lots of background noise because I also have APD and I can't afford a better HA anyway)

I have never had a desire to "fix" my right side, or even experiment with a ultra-super-'vibrate your teeth powerful'-HA to see if I could 'hear' anything with it.

For me HA's are a tool I sometimes bring out to do things - it's like having an iPod or TV ... It's interesting to have & at times enjoyable - but it's not critical for me and I get along just fine with out it.

Hope that makes sense?

Last edited:
Equally true of "treated" hearing loss which doesn't work!

Thankfully I didn't have to make that decision in the end as a quality audiologist arrived in my life at the right moment and fitted me a pair of what is essentially a Naida V SP which are so insanely better than the last set of hearing aids I am going to continue on this path. I'm excited by the hybrid implant technology and wonder whether it will ever get to a stage where it can cover the mid-frequencies without disturbing the outside frequencies, or whether anyone will ever be prepared to make the ethical leap of removing hearing which is apparently there but is not functional in pursuit of something which may be functional. Ho hum, Naidas for now!

good luck with the Naidas SP :) hope this is a good start for U!

Back