Getting interpreters

Deanne

Reaction score
Ok guys, help me out, please!? I don't want to step on toes, and have NO idea how to go about all this.

My hearing is bad enough and my signing good enough that I could benefit from an interpreter for certain things. How the heck do I get one?

I want to go to a concert (band, large stadium) in a few months and though I'll probably be able to follow the songs, I have no hope of understanding any of the speaking in between and that's half the fun of going. Do I contact the venue? The company in charge of the tour? Is it even possible? I have no idea where to start :(

Anything else I should know? Are there times/places where I shouldn't get an interpreter because it could negatively affect other Deaf people? I feel like I'm sticking my neck out into a new world here....:hmm: I can still get along ok in quiet settings so I don't want people to think I'm posing or being an ass...... I don't know. I'm probably overthinking this.

Ok guys, help me out, please!? I don't want to step on toes, and have NO idea how to go about all this.

My hearing is bad enough and my signing good enough that I could benefit from an interpreter for certain things. How the heck do I get one?

I want to go to a concert (band, large stadium) in a few months and though I'll probably be able to follow the songs, I have no hope of understanding any of the speaking in between and that's half the fun of going. Do I contact the venue? The company in charge of the tour? Is it even possible? I have no idea where to start :(

Anything else I should know? Are there times/places where I shouldn't get an interpreter because it could negatively affect other Deaf people? I feel like I'm sticking my neck out into a new world here....:hmm: I can still get along ok in quiet settings so I don't want people to think I'm posing or being an ass...... I don't know. I'm probably overthinking this.

My experience in getting assistive listening devices is that the organization putting on the "show" is more likely the one who needs to provide the assistance, not the venue.

Thanks LoveBlue. That was my thought too, so I emailed the company in charge of the concert but haven't heard back yet. Trying to get it sorted before I get tickets -- wasn't sure which section to buy or if it would matter.

Here in Austin, we contact the venue directly. On the website where they are selling their tickets... there is usually an "accomodations" or "accessibility" option. Contact the venue and request an interpreter. DO IT WELL IN ADVANCE as they will try to "relocate" you if you have great seats. Concerts ARE included but you may have to "convince" them. Do consider your approach. Be cool! Even if they say no. Sometimes we are too blunt for our own good. Please note that a good attitude is very important when you are having a dialogue with a venue host regarding a specific accommodation (interpreter) you are requesting... so that way it would be most likely that they will successfully accommodate you.

I suggest sending them a letter asking if they are aware of Title III of the ADA which pertains to public accomodations. Note the bolded word for you...

Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires businesses open to the public to ensure that individuals with a disability have equal access to all that the businesses have to offer. ADA Title III covers a wide range of places of public accommodation, including retail stores and the wide range of service businesses such as hotels, theaters, restaurants, doctors' and lawyers' offices, optometrists, dentists, banks, insurance agencies, museums, parks, libraries, day care centers, recreational programs, social service agencies, and private schools. It covers both profit and non-profit organizations. Unlike the employment section of the ADA, which only applies to employers with 15 or more employees, ADA Title III applies to all businesses, regardless of size.

Americans with Disabilities Act | National Association of the Deaf

More on public accommodations at another link below... Often they will try to "determine" your accommodations for example... movies and their awful closed captioning glasses. Don't let them decide for you!

Businesses are expected to “consult with the individual with a disability before providing a particular auxiliary aid or service.” 56 Fed. Reg. at 35567. A comprehensive list of auxiliary aids and services required by the ADA for deaf and hard of hearing people includes, but is not limited to: “[q]ualified interpreters, notetakers, computer-aided transcription services, written materials, telephone handset amplifiers, assistive listening devices, assistive listening systems, telephones compatible with hearing aids, closed caption decoders, open and closed captioning, telecommunication devices for deaf persons, videotext displays, or other effective methods of making aurally delivered materials available to individuals with hearing impairments.” 28 C.F.R. § 36.303(b)(1).

Public Accommodations | National Association of the Deaf

I got my wife tickets to Bon Jovi for Christmas and they will be providing her and her companion with an interpreter. I'm not going as I'm just not interested in music but she loves it.

Thanks Nitro. I got a response that 'there is not going to be an interpreter available unless the band is bringing one and hasn't informed us' ARGH. I'm going to need your info, so thanks! You would think Mohegan Sun would have a darn terp, as big as they are.

Thanks Nitro. I got a response that 'there is not going to be an interpreter available unless the band is bringing one and hasn't informed us' ARGH. I'm going to need your info, so thanks! You would think Mohegan Sun would have a darn terp, as big as they are.
I believe it's the responsibility of the venue to provide the interpreters. However, it's probably up to you to make a formal request for one. It's not automatic.

The agency I used to work for was very proactive about going out and getting contracts for interpreting services with all the hospitals, colleges, theaters, auditoriums, museums, etc. They offered discounts and trial (free one-time) services, and educated the businesses and services about interpreting and the ADA.

I believe it's the responsibility of the venue to provide the interpreters. However, it's probably up to you to make a formal request for one. It's not automatic.

The agency I used to work for was very proactive about going out and getting contracts for interpreting services with all the hospitals, colleges, theaters, auditoriums, museums, etc. They offered discounts and trial (free one-time) services, and educated the businesses and services about interpreting and the ADA.

I've heard differently in that it's not the venue's responsibility, but the people/organization using the venue. Such as my kids' high schools needed to provide my assertive listening device and interpreters for their graduations at the university's field house.

It would be nice if the venue offered the services...for a fee to the organizations to offset their costs because then they would already have the equipment and/or source for interpreters and the "little guy" wouldn't have to expend the money or time to find out how & where to get them.

I haven't the foggiest idea how one goes about contacting a huge band and asking. I tried twitter, we'll see how that goes :) This is a total PITA.

Just send them the links that I showed you. If you want to take this off-board, we can (via PMs) but I would probably think it's best to post here so others can also take advantage of this EXTREMELY useful information. However you decide, I am happy to help however I can. Hopefully you will be able to get an interpreter.

I hate being forceful; it's not my strong suit. I was thinking about sending the following email in response to his 'there won't be a terp unless the band brings one' -- do you think it's ok?

Hi Aaron,

I'd like to formally request a terp please, under section III of the ADA:

Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires businesses open to the public to ensure that individuals with a disability have equal access to all that the businesses have to offer. ADA Title III covers a wide range of places of public accommodation, including retail stores and the wide range of service businesses such as hotels, theaters, restaurants, doctors' and lawyers' offices, optometrists, dentists, banks, insurance agencies, museums, parks, libraries, day care centers, recreational programs, social service agencies, and private schools. It covers both profit and non-profit organizations.

I'll be attending the May 31st show -- please let me know where to go to meet up with the interpreter, and if you need any additional information.

Thanks for your help,

Back