Getting a driving license for a HOH

Isadora

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right section.
I am an Italian citizen and I have a Green Card. I would like to get a driving license in the state of Indiana.
I read that being HOH I need to undergo a medical exam. Where can I schedule one? Will it take place the same days as the driving tests or else?
I just need to know how long the whole process will take.

I would talk the the drivers license dept (DMV) directly (where you'd go to get a license).

I'm Hoh/Deaf and never had to take a medical exam to get or renew my license.

I don't have anything that would inhibit my ability to drive (sudden onset vertigo, vision issues not correctable with glasses/contact lenses etc).

Do you have anything else medically (other than hearing or "correctable vision") that might make it unsafe for you to drive (epilepsy, fainting, sudden vertigo etc)?

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right section.
I am an Italian citizen and I have a Green Card. I would like to get a driving license in the state of Indiana.
I read that being HOH I need to undergo a medical exam. Where can I schedule one? Will it take place the same days as the driving tests or else?
I just need to know how long the whole process will take.

Hearing loss doesn't exclude a person from getting a driver's license in any state.

Laura

California has no restrictions either for being deaf. They do put "must wear corrective lenses" if you fail the eye exam. Good luck!!

Corrective Lenses and Outside Rear View Mirrors....

In Canada outside rear view mirrors are mandatory for all vehicles (as is an internal rear view mirror.

I'd be scared to drive without them! Yikes.

In kansas, IF you are deaf or HOH, they will have white background on picture so Police can tell that you are HOH. No need medical proof, Just tell them you're deaf or show them your hearing aid or CI whichever you prefer. Simple as is..

Catty

In NY if you list yourself as HOH or deaf you will have a restriction on your license. All the restriction means is that you either have to wear your hearing aid/s or drive a vehicle with a inside rear view mirror and both sides of the car must have mirrors as well. No need for a medical exam or proof but its helpful to have with you. I would go to the closest DMV and ask what it is they want done. A lot of times they have forms a doctor can fill out for you and you go to your own medical doctor.

Thank you very much for the info.
I'll get in touch with Indiana's DMV, then.

It sounds a lot more simple than in Italy, luckily!

One more question for you: how did you arrange the practical exam?

I need to lip-read the examiner to understand his/her instructions, unless he's willing to point left/right with his/her finger.

California has no restrictions either for being deaf. They do put "must wear corrective lenses" if you fail the eye exam. Good luck!!

that would worry me if eyes so bad no see car in front without prescriptive specs....i got neighbour she in her ninties register blind and been driving,her daughter has just forbib her to now..most people know her in town and make sure they well away from her she scare witts out of us

I'm in The Big Island (Hawaii) for my vacation, drooling the Hawaii's driver license requirements information in internet. What I see is no medical exams or vision test. Only u need to get it is USA residence and birth cert or birth ID plus SSN to get DL. Simple. I'm thinking to apply DL someday maybe next year. Aloha, dst

Back