getting a cochlear implant as an adult?

sirena rossa

Reaction score
I am wondering about something a bit specific: Who here is deaf/HoH since birth/childhood, has worn hearing aids, but then got the cochlear implant later in life, like a teenager or better yet as an adult? (NOT as an infant or a child).

I've been profound all my life, since I was 1 yr old. i wear hearing aids and have done speech therapy from age 1 till age 13. i've also been mainstreamed all my life and did very well. and I am 28 now and wondering if maybe i should get the implant? I know the CI is way different technology than a HA, so i wonder exactly how much of a difference it is. Does it make that much of a difference that ur able to do things such as carry a decent phone convo with ease? If anyone has been in the same boat as me but has actually done this surgery and could share their experience - it would really help!

i'm a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, mainly because I am told the CI actually destroys any remaining hearing u have left. If that's the case and should the CI fail or my body reject it, or whatever.... then i am pretty screwed!

So, if u are one of these specific people, gimme a shout :wave:

I am wondering about something a bit specific: Who here is deaf/HoH since birth/childhood, has worn hearing aids, but then got the cochlear implant later in life, like a teenager or better yet as an adult? (NOT as an infant or a child).

I've been profound all my life, since I was 1 yr old. i wear hearing aids and have done speech therapy from age 1 till age 13. i've also been mainstreamed all my life and did very well. and I am 28 now and wondering if maybe i should get the implant? I know the CI is way different technology than a HA, so i wonder exactly how much of a difference it is. Does it make that much of a difference that ur able to do things such as carry a decent phone convo with ease? If anyone has been in the same boat as me but has actually done this surgery and could share their experience - it would really help!

i'm a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, mainly because I am told the CI actually destroys any remaining hearing u have left. If that's the case and should the CI fail or my body reject it, or whatever.... then i am pretty screwed!

So, if u are one of these specific people, gimme a shout :wave:

I wore hearing aids since I was 10, so for 27 years. I started my progress 6 years ago with the same questions you are asking. Most of the questions are normal ones and I sugesst a lot of research with the three companies that manufacture the implants: Med-El, Advanced Bionics, and Cochlear. I had my surgery last July. It has been the best decision I have ever made.

The newer surgeries do not destory our residual hearing. I still have some left. When you get to the point of wanting a cochlear implant, you really don't have much usable residual hearing to begin with. As for CI failure, yes there are cases of it. I know one who was reimplanted a few weeks ago. I am not sure of the numbers of failure. I only know what it has given me. For the first time in my life, less stress, ability to understand speech better, and my daughter. There are a lot of blogs out there where people share their experiences. You might want to check out deafvillage.

Same here, I had HA for 28 years. Recently got implanted in January and May.

Read on the past posts, a lot of people have asked this question and went though the surgery. I thought that I had too much residual hearing and I could hear well with my HA. I could not be any more wrong.

First - Why are you considering CI? Is it because you feel your HA is not benefiting you anymore? Are you losing your residual hearing (like me for example)?

Second - Not ALL implantees had their residual hearing gone. I didn't. I still have residual hearing in both of my ears. These days, the surgeons are more careful and newer surgery techniques. Right now, I don't give a hoot if my residual hearing was completely gone because I love my CI and would never go back to HA's.

Failure rates are actually very small percentage. There was a small amount of failure rates a few years ago, but it has been fixed.

I have never heard of a body rejecting the implant. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I just have never heard of it.

I found with my CI that I can pick up all the higher frequencies that HA couldn't give me. I found I can talk to people more at ease, understanding teachers, TV without really straining to hear or looking at the CC.

I never really use the phone, so I cannot really give you any insight from that, however a friend of mine in the blogsphere, has been able to use the phone without any problems and it's so much better.

The only advice I have for you is to look at both sides of things, the negatives and the positives about CI. Do not focus on the negative and make the decision of not getting a CI based on that. Do make a decision based on how you feel about CI, your research with CI, going to the CI audiologist. That way, when you do go through the actual surgery, it would be the best decision you made, not feeling rushed or anything with it.

I wish you best of luck in your journey!

I wore hearing aids since I was 10, so for 27 years. I started my progress 6 years ago with the same questions you are asking. Most of the questions are normal ones and I sugesst a lot of research with the three companies that manufacture the implants: Med-El, Advanced Bionics, and Cochlear. I had my surgery last July. It has been the best decision I have ever made.

The newer surgeries do not destory our residual hearing. I still have some left. When you get to the point of wanting a cochlear implant, you really don't have much usable residual hearing to begin with. As for CI failure, yes there are cases of it. I know one who was reimplanted a few weeks ago. I am not sure of the numbers of failure. I only know what it has given me. For the first time in my life, less stress, ability to understand speech better, and my daughter. There are a lot of blogs out there where people share their experiences. You might want to check out deafvillage.

oh, thanks for the tip on deafvillage! i have not heard of them, i will definitley check them out.
You said that u had HAs since u were 10, but what about before that? did u have normal hearing then? Is your hearing the type that worsens gradually?
that's the ONE thing that makes me a bit different- mine is not the kind that will get worse. I have been profoundly deaf since birth and its not possible for me to lose any more (unless of course, i have some like severe trauma to the head or something).
That's great that u were able to get re-implanted with no problem :) glad they are working out for u! may i ask what made u choose the brand u have?

Same here, I had HA for 28 years. Recently got implanted in January and May.

Read on the past posts, a lot of people have asked this question and went though the surgery. I thought that I had too much residual hearing and I could hear well with my HA. I could not be any more wrong.

First - Why are you considering CI? Is it because you feel your HA is not benefiting you anymore? Are you losing your residual hearing (like me for example)?

Second - Not ALL implantees had their residual hearing gone. I didn't. I still have residual hearing in both of my ears. These days, the surgeons are more careful and newer surgery techniques. Right now, I don't give a hoot if my residual hearing was completely gone because I love my CI and would never go back to HA's.

Failure rates are actually very small percentage. There was a small amount of failure rates a few years ago, but it has been fixed.

I have never heard of a body rejecting the implant. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I just have never heard of it.

I found with my CI that I can pick up all the higher frequencies that HA couldn't give me. I found I can talk to people more at ease, understanding teachers, TV without really straining to hear or looking at the CC.

I never really use the phone, so I cannot really give you any insight from that, however a friend of mine in the blogsphere, has been able to use the phone without any problems and it's so much better.

The only advice I have for you is to look at both sides of things, the negatives and the positives about CI. Do not focus on the negative and make the decision of not getting a CI based on that. Do make a decision based on how you feel about CI, your research with CI, going to the CI audiologist. That way, when you do go through the actual surgery, it would be the best decision you made, not feeling rushed or anything with it.

I wish you best of luck in your journey!

Finally some people in the same boat as me! lol. It just seemed like everyone I met (with the exception of a friend of mine) was implanted at a very young age and not as an adult - there is quite the difference, i think.

To answer ur question: I am actually NOT losing any hearing, and I never will, according to doctors. The cause of my hearing loss is NOT the type that is lost gradually. I have a profound loss (85-90 dB) most likely due to ototoxic drugs given to me as a newborn (and this was in '80).
The reason why I am considering the CI all began when one of my best friends (same loss as me, raised orally like me, mainstreamed, etc.) began considering it (because she, on the other hand, is losing a bit of hearing) and so it just got me thinking. All my life I have felt like I have been successful with HAs. I just wonder if i would do even better with a CI. Since it seems like a CI is THAT much better than a HA. the reason why my parents never implanted me when the CI first came out was because it was too new, too many side effects (like the loss of all residual hearing). and looking back i am GLAD they didn't! because back then the CI was something like 6 channels, and now it has gone up to 22, i think?

How do u know u have residual hearing left? Thats really good to know that the operation has improved so much so that issue is now no longer an issue :) but is there some sort of test they do post-surgery to ensure ur hearing is still there? Just wondering ...

I have another question... related to Post-CI.
how about speech therapy? Did u have to "re-do" speech therapy to "learn" how to hear all over again?
I imagine the difference between HA and CI is so drastic and the brain wont be accustomed to hearing certain sounds, especially high frequency ones (which is where most of my loss is) and so the brain would have to be "exercised" in order to understand what is being heard.

Hey, I am another born profoundly deaf that got CI, I was 30 when i got my CI.

how about speech therapy? Did u have to "re-do" speech therapy to "learn" how to hear all over again?
I imagine the difference between HA and CI is so drastic and the brain wont be accustomed to hearing certain sounds, especially high frequency ones (which is where most of my loss is) and so the brain would have to be "exercised" in order to understand what is being heard.

I am having hearing therapy (bit like speech therapy) Yes we need to learn to hear and recogonise sounds. My hearing therapy told me that you will learn as you go along, they will advise you things like listening to radio, audio books, music etc. I also had listening therapy for letters/words/sylablles/ sentences. I am only one month activcation, I can recongise some sounds at the moment and it's still very early days. It will take time and patience to learn the sounds.

How do u know u have residual hearing left? Thats really good to know that the operation has improved so much so that issue is now no longer an issue :) but is there some sort of test they do post-surgery to ensure ur hearing is still there? Just wondering ...

Yes. Your CI audi will give you a hearing test post activation to determine this. At 3 or 6 months post activation (I can't remember which at the moment) I was given a hearing test without my CIs to find out whether or not I had any residual hearing left. I'm one of those who didn't (both ears are completely deaf), but as Lady said, when someone reaches the point of considering/needing a CI, there really isn't much residual hearing left to destroy in the first place.

I know cuz I tried on my hearing aids. :) It still sounds the same before surgery. It's funny because I just tried it a couple weeks ago for both ears and I just cannot believe how much I was missing. I was missing all the high frequencies.

Some audiologist still do audiogram without CI to see how much you have left. I didn't, because all I had to do was put on my HA. It sounded the same pre surgery.

There's ways to "retrain" your brain. Like Overthepond. Some have to do more therapy, others just do therapy at home.

It's basically retraining your ears and brain on how to hear again. I find that people who have good auditory memory do better, and those who have very poor hearing skills with HA's (such as just hearing the environmental sounds, not voices, not music, etc), tend to have a little bit longer time to go through the training.

You said it exactly right. When I was first activated, I never heard the blinker of my car...but I know the sound because I remember hearing it as a child (I had severe loss at that time). I never heard the microwave beep. I never heard crickets. Now I can. HA's amplifies sound, that's all it does. If you have a good amount of residual hearing, it will help. If you don't, then you're SOL. My residual hearing has progressively gotten worse, hence why I got the CI.

I highly suggest you to find a CI audiologist in your area. Find one that deals with at least two of the companies - Advanced Bionics and Cochlear is the popular ones in America, and then she/he can help you tell the differences between the two. I have Cochlear, Vallee has Advanced Bionics. It does NOT mean one is better than the other. Just preferences. Vallee can hear very well with her CI. I can hear very well with my CI. So, to me, it doesn't matter what brand a person has, but what matters is it works..

Once you go through CI audiologist that you're comfortable with you can ask her all the questions and do the research on the web, read people's blogs (including some of those who had issues...I think it's important that you're aware), etc.

I have been profoundly deaf since birth and its not possible for me to lose any more (unless of course, i have some like severe trauma to the head or something).
Well........here's a question. How much does a hearing test show you can hear with hearing aids?
I do know that the thinking is that the sucessful adult but dhh as kids implantees had a base of hearing with hearing aids (and could build on that base) or they are using their infant memory.
Also if you're an ambigious canidate, (ie you do have quite a bit of hearing from hearing aids......the criteria has changed, so adults with a lot of residual hearing can get implanted) it's possible that you might get a lot of benift from a digital aid
Just make sure that you're not falling for the " Oh it's the latest technology so it's gotta provide the best hearing" thing.

oh, thanks for the tip on deafvillage! i have not heard of them, i will definitley check them out.
You said that u had HAs since u were 10, but what about before that? did u have normal hearing then? Is your hearing the type that worsens gradually?
that's the ONE thing that makes me a bit different- mine is not the kind that will get worse. I have been profoundly deaf since birth and its not possible for me to lose any more (unless of course, i have some like severe trauma to the head or something).
That's great that u were able to get re-implanted with no problem :) glad they are working out for u! may i ask what made u choose the brand u have?

The doctors knew I had a hearing loss but in the 70's they thought it was nerve damage and refused to fit with a hearing aid. I went unaided for the first 10 years of my life. I do have sensorineural hearing loss and lost the majority of my hearing by age 18. I just got by with hearing aids.

I have advanced bionics. I researched and one reason was the type of programs and the recharagable batteries. It is different then cochlear which also has recharageble batteries. It is a very personal choice and when you see the brands up close, it just tends to "hit" you on which one you feel the most comfortable with.

The doctors knew I had a hearing loss but in the 70's they thought it was nerve damage and refused to fit with a hearing aid. I went unaided for the first 10 years of my life. I do have sensorineural hearing loss and lost the majority of my hearing by age 18. I just got by with hearing aids.

I have advanced bionics. I researched and one reason was the type of programs and the recharagable batteries. It is different then cochlear which also has recharageble batteries. It is a very personal choice and when you see the brands up close, it just tends to "hit" you on which one you feel the most comfortable with.

I totally agree wthi Vallee.

I loved my audiologist so she only does Cochlear, so I stuck by that brand. Would I have changed my choices if I did the research (that was actually bad of me), No I wouldn't have.

All three companies have pros and cons. I did a lot in a post a while back, let me know if you want me to refer you to that post...but I suggest you to find a CI audiologist first. :)

I totally agree wthi Vallee.

I loved my audiologist so she only does Cochlear, so I stuck by that brand. Would I have changed my choices if I did the research (that was actually bad of me), No I wouldn't have.

All three companies have pros and cons. I did a lot in a post a while back, let me know if you want me to refer you to that post...but I suggest you to find a CI audiologist first. :)

My audie does all three, she was very neutral when she was discussing it with me. I took my three kits home and really studying them. I was drawn to AB. It just clicked.

Just remember everyone has different outcomes. It depends on how much auditory memory you have, auditory stimulation of the nerves, therapy(most on own) you will do, and more importantly your expectations. Set a goal and remember you are not getting 100% hearing, but it is better than what you had. My goal was to be able to carry on a conversation with my daughter. I also had a long range goal of enjoying music and finally to be able to just sit at the table and carry on a conversation with my family. I reached all my goals. So I view my CIs as a success.

For me I was born moderately hard of hearing, my hearing was stable until 1 day it took a dive to profound hearing loss so I got CI at 20 and it sound same as HA in some way and have much more new sound coming in like high frequency and more detail in sound like duck quacking it used to sound lower pitch with HA and with CI it sound like laughing lol
For me it wasn't drastic huge difference in sound only improved and much more detail, clarity and more frequency than ever.
I'm able to hold convo one on one without difficulity now (I used to have no freaking clue unless they mouth the word slowly with visual cues lol I'm horrible lipreader) and pay less attention to captions on tv, can hear some word on phone when listening to voicemail (no visual cue!) like to erase this message press 1, to save this message press 2, etc I can hear it clear as a day its awesome. Oh also I'm one of the unlucky few my CI killed all of my residual hearing but I don't miss it at all because CI's that great

I've been deaf since I was 2 and am now 23. I do want to get a cochlear implant, if it's possible to implant my left ear (it's my dead ear) if there's no or little ossification in the cochlea. I've decided I am going to leave my right ear alone for now, since hearing aids still work for the most part (though I highly rely on visual support to understand anything). I've already been declared a candidate, just still need to get the CAT scans of the ears done (mainly to see if there's any possibility at all for the left ear to be implanted).

I've been deaf since I was 2 and am now 23. I do want to get a cochlear implant, if it's possible to implant my left ear (it's my dead ear) if there's no or little ossification in the cochlea. I've decided I am going to leave my right ear alone for now, since hearing aids still work for the most part (though I highly rely on visual support to understand anything). I've already been declared a candidate, just still need to get the CAT scans of the ears done (mainly to see if there's any possibility at all for the left ear to be implanted).

Sure you can, you should consider Med-el
They have implant designed for severely ossified cochlea it's split array one have 7 electrodes and other have 5.
And if it have partial ossification you can get compressed one its shorter but has all 12 on one array.
I'm not sure if cochlear america have split array one of girl I know she had severe ossification she told me she have 2 array and she wear freedom.... so I'm not sure it doesn't say on website, something to ask :).

Yep just looked up cochlear america do have split electrode array too.
Here's the link
Cochlear Implants

If you have complete ossification the surgeon can perform 2 cochleostomies one at the basal and one at the apical end of cochlea so they can insert split electrode array inside. (Both Med-El and cochlear america have this)
So you do have chance for the "dead ear" :fruit:

Maybe a good idea might be to see a university or school for the deaf audi, rather then a general audi. They may have more experiance with dhh since childhood adults getting CIs.

Back