Georgian TV reporter shot by Russian sniper during live broadcast carries on with her

Status
Not open for further replies.
"One shot . . . one kill" has been hi-jacked by lots of people, including a movie entitled Sniper, a song, and an NCSi episode title.

But Texan Guy is correct that it got its recent attention from the motto by marine snipers in Vietnam, particularly the skill of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. My cousin Major Ed Land was Hathcock's commanding officer.

Back on topic, I agree the reporter has lots of courage, but I suspect a stray shot -- or Royal's funny comment about the shooter drinking vodka.

Some trivia on the subject: I've competed against Russian army marksmanship, and their snipers usually hit where they aim.

About "bulletproof vests," I don't know of any available at this date which will stop a military rifle bullet (unless it's spent from extreme long range.

All that current vests will stop are pistol and submachinegun bullets and light scrapnel. Still, I always wore my flak jacket when presenting myself as a target. Better something than nothing.

ah yes..... you are correct. I need to switch the word from my original post. "jesus. that reporter should be wearing the FLAK JACKET in the first place!" oh and Kevlar helmet too!

23rtxg8.jpg

This reminds me.... I remember a news crew were accidentally bombed by tank... Was it Israeli tank? I forget.

it looks like shrapnel from bullet that hit her, wasn't it?

Or like I said, a strayed bullet....

Or like I said, a strayed bullet....

no not stray bullet. I meant SHRAPNEL from the bullet impact. the wound looks too small for bullet unless the sniper was shooting .22

I am no stranger to the principles of that of the sniper mentality. If the Russian sniper intended to kill the reporter, he would have.

Why did s/he shoot in the first place? (The "scrapnel" was not, typically, widespread of the area . . . it was, obviously, targeted.

One can only think that is was a bullying tactic. He'd missed purposedly - WHY?

no not stray bullet. I meant SHRAPNEL from the bullet impact. the wound looks too small for bullet unless the sniper was shooting .22

The current favored rifle ammunition for U.S., European, and Asian infantry is .233 (5.56 NATO). Its not as tiny as a 40-grain .22 LR, but it's a releativey small bullet which tends to fragment easily.

Yep, doing everything she can to aggravate the situation by painting Russia as the bogeyman.

You're so right that the press is hardly ever the neutral reporter of facts they like their readers/viewers to think they are. Most reporting is heavily biased, here and abroad.

I'm not saying it's true in this case, but many times reporters have staged events. It's gives a whole different meaning to "No news is good news."

The current favored rifle ammunition for U.S., European, and Asian infantry is .233 (5.56 NATO). Its not as tiny as a 40-grain .22 LR, but it's a releativey small bullet which tends to fragment easily.

It's .223, not .233. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back