GEEZ! Here we go with this BS!

It's a failure to see things from another perspective. I'm sure if this person were born deaf or went deaf and got a CI they'd be singing another tune.

I think that most people don't understand the issues that go into CI and ASL and overall deafness. They are actually trying to help.

BUT, regarding the bolded part.....I'm not sure those professionals are wrong. If you are choosing an oral path for your child, they need to be able to access spoken language through listening. If hearing aids do not provide that, the school would be irresponsible to continue that path. I think they would be right to say that the child needs a CI or they should choose a different language path and school.

Need a CI? Come on..many of us grew up oral-only without a CI.

Now, CIs are required?

No wonder I despite the oral-only philosophy. My friend is an oral deaf but she was forced to put her sons in a TC program all because she didnt want them to get CIs.

oh boy...

The world is going nuts.

Need a CI? Come on..many of us grew up oral-only without a CI.

Now, CIs are required?

No wonder I despite the oral-only philosophy. My friend is an oral deaf but she was forced to put her sons in a TC program all because she didnt want them to get CIs.

oh boy...

The world is going nuts.

You grew up oral and HATED it precisely because you could not hear! You struggled to follow conversations and the teacher, because you could not hear. You were left out socially, because you could not hear. Deaf kids oral language was delayed and they struggled in the mainstream because they could not hear.

THAT is why oral schools push for CI's, so the kids do NOT have those experiences. So that the kids CAN access language and curriculum, they would be irresponsible if they allowed kids to continue and NOT be able to hear and understand.

You grew up oral and HATED it precisely because you could not hear! You struggled to follow conversations and the teacher, because you could not hear. You were left out socially, because you could not hear. Deaf kids oral language was delayed and they struggled in the mainstream because they could not hear.

THAT is why oral schools push for CI's, so the kids do NOT have those experiences. So that the kids CAN access language and curriculum, they would be irresponsible if they allowed kids to continue and NOT be able to hear and understand.

wait a min, i thought shel grew up, not realizing that she's oral, not hated it precisely until she learned ASL then she realizes about oral experiece. I thought she can hear some with HAs. remind you that some of us who have HAs and can hear some or most. It does not mean we can't hear all the time with HAs. If we can't hear HAs then don't wear HAs in the first place.

shel, sorry!

wait a min, i thought shel grew up, not realizing that she's oral, not hated it precisely until she learned ASL then she realizes about oral experiece. I thought she can hear some with HAs. remind you that some of us who have HAs and can hear some or most. It does not mean we can't hear all the time with HAs. If we can't hear HAs then don't wear HAs in the first place.

shel, sorry!

That is my point. The school is saying that it is irresponsible to force a child to grow up not understanding and struggling to hear. They are saying that it is not ok for kids to miss out on information and fall behind in language. They are saying that if hearing aids do not provide clear access to speech through listening, a child should get a CI or not do oral only. That seems responsible to me.

That is my point. The school is saying that it is irresponsible to force a child to grow up not understanding and struggling to hear. They are saying that it is not ok for kids to miss out on information and fall behind in language. They are saying that if hearing aids do not provide clear access to speech through listening, a child should get a CI or not do oral only. That seems responsible to me.

Ok.
I do not have any evidences for kids with ci when they are older then they will tell us their experiences. I always thought any kids with ci hear a little more, but not does mean to hear 100 percents therefore they would miss some out some informations. again, i can't discuss with you about this because its no evidence.

About a few years ago, one of my husband's co-worker told me that deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI and continued to give me a hard time about it. This was a well-educated lady in her 50s.

Then a few years ago, my neighbor had a friend who was late deafened who got a CI and he was shocked that I wouldnt get one and went on and on about how it would improve my life and make me more normal.

Then, my friend endured these kinds of comments from the other parents and staff from the oral-only school her kids used to go to for deciding not to implant her children.

I just want to know what the heck is the medical community is feeding to society about CIs...that they will make deaf people function better and then give hearing people the wrong impression?

Medical Community's job is to fix the restore the function to damaged part. That's their hippocratic oath. It's up to you to ask for their help or not.

But they shouldnt FORCE CIs on parents. I thought you were all for parental rights to decisions about their deaf children? :hmm:

No, the oral only philosophy seems to discriminate anyone who is not functioning as hearing as they can. Before, it was about speech skills, ASL and now against those who dont have CIs. Their agenda is to make all deaf children as hearing as they can. I am not stupid.

No, the oral only philosophy seems to discriminate anyone who is not functioning as hearing as they can. Before, it was about speech skills, ASL and now against those who dont have CIs. Their agenda is to make all deaf children as hearing as they can. I am not stupid.

Precisely why I'm slightly concerned for Adam in the future...he's not 'deaf enough' in one ear to get a CI but I know he doesn't hear everything w/his HA's either... and he goes to an oral school... so far though, his loss doesn't slow him down--he's learned to compensate and figure things out on his own already...

If you break the link, the blogger can't find this discussion.

But they shouldnt FORCE CIs on parents. I thought you were all for parental rights to decisions about their deaf children? :hmm:

They are not forcing, the parents can, and do make the decision. They can choose to implant their child, or they can choose to add sign. That is stilol 100% the parent's decision. They are simply telling the truth, if a a child can not access speech through listening they should not be in an oral only classroom.

Their agenda is to teach deaf children English through listening and spoken language. That is their goal, plan and simple.

just making sure - who is "they"?

ok whoever wrote/posted that on myspace... is the actual idiot. wow. and some of the comments on there too. oh bother.

:lol: Lol that guys just got no life and do not understand at all. Very narrow minded. :lol: I just laugh at him.

A lot of people think deaf children must have a CI or two CIs. Well, funny, I see the opposite; deaf people with HAs are good at speech and listening. :dunno:

I guess people with HAs are not count. So whatever. :roll:

I couldnt use HA's it distorded speech for me. But my CI gives me the ability to distinguis speech and I can also distinguish the difference between male and female voices unlike what Ha;s did for me... So I personally do not think that Ha's are for everyone.. But I do understand the stance on the surgery aspect with CI's for children . A child it might be a lil rough on but as an adult it was not bad at all..

Back