GEEZ! Here we go with this BS!

I just don't understand...people complain that oral schools allow children who need visual language to fall behind and struggle, but then when the schools act responsibly and recommend that some students should attend visual schools, or say that this student wouldn't benefit from oral only, they are called discriminatory. Do you want them to serve every deaf child, even those who will fall behind and "fail", or do you want them to be responsible and insist that visual kids get visual language?

faire jour you do not "understand it" because you are attempting to discuss the issue and present logical and compelling arguments and therefore you are missing the point. The whole purpose of this thread and this "story" is to engage in yet another round of bashing oral schools and cochlear implants.

Given the long demonstrated bias against oral schools and cochlear implants by the OP I seriously doubt the "facts" as posited. I think the reality is that these kids, if they even exist, do not "have very good oral skills" and as a result are struggling and falling behind the other students who have better access to sounds and spoken language due to their implants.

Don't beat yourself up over this discussion and the failure of others to discuss these issues with you because it was a discussion that was never intended to even take place. You have made the points and they are right on the money.
Rick

faire jour you do not "understand it" because you are attempting to discuss the issue and present logical and compelling arguments and therefore you are missing the point. The whole purpose of this thread and this "story" is to engage in yet another round of bashing oral schools and cochlear implants.

Given the long demonstrated bias against oral schools and cochlear implants by the OP I seriously doubt the "facts" as posited. I think the reality is that these kids, if they even exist, do not "have very good oral skills" and as a result are struggling and falling behind the other students who have better access to sounds and spoken language due to their implants.

Don't beat yourself up over this discussion and the failure of others to discuss these issues with you because it was a discussion that was never intended to even take place. You have made the points and they are right on the money.
Rick

Ok, so you find it ok that a mother of deaf children is made to feel bad because she didnt implant her children? FJ is trying to defend the program for something that is totally unrelated and I am trying to get her back to the point of the topic which is about general society giving deaf people a hard time for not getting implants. How is she right on the money when she wasnt even talking about anything related to the topic of the thread? If you want to start a thread about how wonderful oral-only programs are, be my guest.

Of course, you dont need to restate it..I am against the oral-only philosophy and I wont hide behind it so your point is???

Rick

:gpost:

:ty: and the example used of the first post is one of the many showing society's new intolerance against deaf people.

And that was why I brought up the oral-only program..it was used as one of the many examples of society putting deaf people down for not getting CIs or not implanting their children..not about their philosophies. I dont know why this thread became about the philosophy of the oral-only programs. That is not what this thread is about.

No, that is not ok. Judgement and name-calling is never ok.

I am just saying that the oral school recommending a CI was the responsible thing to do. How much worse would it be if these schools allowed students to be underamplified, unable to access language and left for years without a way to communicate. They are being responsible by not allowing students who wouldn't be successful with their methods.

Shel is trying to tell you this:

While the school was being responsible they also treated her friend in a manner by way of looking down on her for making the decision not to have her children implanted. A parent who is a human being with feelings, who made the decision not to have her children implanted after being given a suggestion to two choices, get a CI or transfer. The former I believe because it would make the school's job easier and cost less.

What right does a school have to make a parent feel like crap because they decided on something for their children? The school didn't crap out a baby after nine months, the parent did. The schools don't decide what is best for the children, only the parents do.

Believe me I know. I have a CI, just activated a month ago and already the disability department in the college I am attending is trying to avoid the cost of interpreters because.... "You have a CI now! So you are able to attend class and follow along in the lectures!"

-insert sarcasm here- Like it's a miracle I can suddenly hear and understand everything that goes on! Whoo Hoo!

Not even close....

It was hard for my interpreters and I not to laugh at the look on the disability departments face when I told them that I require the services of the interpreters for the entire two years I attend for the Nursing Program.

While I understand your belief that the schools are being responsible, keep in mind, that not ALL schools are like this, that some will look upon you with disdain for not going with the best of the choices they lay out for you.

You have to really stand in the shoes of a Deaf person to understand what they go through and yes I do know you "see" how it is but you don't know the half of it, not unless you walk a mile in a Deaf person's shoes.

While the school was being responsible they also treated her friend in a manner by way of looking down on her for making the decision not to have her children implanted. A parent who is a human being with feelings, who made the decision not to have her children implanted after being given a suggestion to two choices, get a CI or transfer. The former I believe because it would make the school's job easier and cost less.

What right does a school have to make a parent feel like crap because they decided on something for their children? The school didn't crap out a baby after nine months, the parent did. The schools don't decide what is best for the children, only the parents do.

Believe me I know. I have a CI, just activated a month ago and already the disability department in the college I am attending is trying to avoid the cost of interpreters because.... "You have a CI now! So you are able to attend class and follow along in the lectures!"

-insert sarcasm here- Like it's a miracle I can suddenly hear and understand everything that goes on! Whoo Hoo!

Not even close....

It was hard for my interpreters and I not to laugh at the look on the disability departments face when I told them that I require the services of the interpreters for the entire two years I attend for the Nursing Program.

While I understand your belief that the schools are being responsible, keep in mind, that not ALL schools are like this, that some will look upon you with disdain for not going with the best of the choices they lay out for you.

You have to really stand in the shoes of a Deaf person to understand what they go through and yes I do know you "see" how it is but you don't know the half of it, not unless you walk a mile in a Deaf person's shoes.

:gpost: :gpost:

You have said the exact sentences what I want to say. Geeze, hearing people don't get it. They think powerful hearing aids or CIs, which they are a miracle, will make us hear perfectly. Thank you for making it clear to the hearing people about it. :thumb:

Not even close....

Thank you for this wonderful post. :hug:

When I was attending classes at my local community college recently, it was at the same time I considered getting a CI (but didn't), but I was warned by the "disability services coordinator" (what they call it there) that if I had one, I would no longer be eligible for interpreters or other services. What? :eek3:

Not even close....

:gpost:
And people wonder why I'm so uncomfortable when they tell me my CI is a miracle. :roll:

When I was attending classes at my local community college recently, it was at the same time I considered getting a CI (but didn't), but I was warned by the "disability services coordinator" (what they call it there) that if I had one, I would no longer be eligible for interpreters or other services. What? :eek3:

Oh, the ironing.. Would it have been worth it to bother correcting them about CI misconceptions?

From reading this thread: Isn't an Cochlear Implant "installed" because one CAN't BENEFIT from the use of Hearing Aid???? That is my experience. Also, doesn't every person who has a Cochlear Implant in reality decide NOT to remain deaf utilizing ASL as the primary method of interpersonal communications instead of hearing speech? To the best of my knowledge No adult is forced to get an Implant-your choice assuming the costs are met one way or other eg health plans. Yeah I am deaf-since Dec 20/06.

Advanced Bionics Harmony activated Aug/07

Back