G'day all.

mum2bubba

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am Cassie, I'm from Australia and I am going to learn Auslan (Australian sign language) next year as it would be good to be able communicate with deaf people. I have two kids who are 1 and 3 so I'm a stay at home mum at the moment but I used to work in a daycare center. I would like to go back and work in childcare and maybe become an interpreter one day in the future. I would like to be able to teach my kids sign language too and maybe also other children in childcare.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on.

Can anyone please tell me is it really hard to learn sign language (Auslan) I know the alphabet and a few words (or signs) but nothing much else.

Thanks. :)

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

Good luck for next year. It will takes time for ya to learn Auslan. If you socializes around Deaf community you will pick Auslan up a lot faster.

zyf5hs.jpg

At AllDeaf!

There are quite a few Australians here who can tell you your answers.

Welcome to the boards Cassie. What part of Australia are you from? One of my really really really good friends is in Australia. She knows Auslin and would probably love to help you learn.

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

Good luck for next year. It will takes time for ya to learn Auslan. If you socializes around Deaf community you will pick Auslan up a lot faster.

I would like to do that, how do I get involved though. The only few deaf people I have ever met is at my friend's church but I only go when I see her.

G'day mum2bubba,

A fellow australian here, what brings you here to alldeaf.com? :lol:

I am a volunteer auslan teacher, but I am located in Canberra ;)

G'day mum2bubba,

A fellow australian here, what brings you here to alldeaf.com? :lol:

I am a volunteer auslan teacher, but I am located in Canberra ;)

Sign language (Auslan) is something I've always had an interest in. It would be good if everyone knew it then we could all communicate with one another. Does it take a long, long time to learn?

G'day! :welcome: aboard to alldeaf! I hope you will enjoy browsing and posting here.
Anyway, I am an aussie here and am in the West. About Auslan, it depend on how quick you can learn it and how keen you are too. Some people are slow to learn and some are quick to learn. If you emerge yourself into the deaf community and having deaf friends, you will learn it quicker. You just can't learn it overnight and it does takes time to learn. Also keep practising and remember the sign language you have learnt.
Another thing, maybe you could find an Auslan course in your state that if you want to be an interpreter and you will learn all aspect about the Deaf community and it history. You can either have a full time course or a part time course.

Here is an url about auslan and it is helpful when you need to look up a sign language. Enjoy!

Auslan - Signbank

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. Just listen to AD members that really make sense. See you around. :wave:

Hello and :welcome: to AD from another Aussie! Hope you will stay around with us and enjoy. :)

Good luck in learning Auslan and hope your dream of becoming an interpreter comes to fruition one day.

Sign language (Auslan) is something I've always had an interest in. It would be good if everyone knew it then we could all communicate with one another. Does it take a long, long time to learn?

What Koala have said, that's correct. It depends on your ability to learn, but it will take time to be fluent, hmm.

What Koala have said, that's correct. It depends on your ability to learn, but it will take time to be fluent, hmm.

I don't plan on going back to work until my kids are both in school so I have 5 years to kill, do you think 5 years would be long enough to learn it fluently (provided I get involved with the deaf community on a regular basis)?

I don't plan on going back to work until my kids are both in school so I have 5 years to kill, do you think 5 years would be long enough to learn it fluently (provided I get involved with the deaf community on a regular basis)?

Yes, on a regular basis, you will be fluent in no time

:welcome: to the forum and enjoy your stay. Jclarke could teach you Ausian language. ;)

Back