Gally Students are Fainting & Starving

No.

Two words. Personal responsiblity. The students made up their mind to hunger strike, so the consequences of that decision is on them.

Absolutely! The students are responsible for the decisions they make. And, just my opinion, but a hunger strike is not the most effective way to protest.

Absolutely! The students are responsible for the decisions they make. And, just my opinion, but a hunger strike is not the most effective way to protest.

Agreed! :gpost:

I've only seen one instance in which a hunger strike actually worked. Someone was protesting against the Cuban "Wet foot, dry foot" policy.

The protestor actually got what he demanded, so he ended his hunger strike. But, this is the ONLY TIME I've seen this happen.

There is another hunger protest which was successful back in 1970s. The IRA fighters were jailed by the British soldiers and they started hunger strikes to protest the poor treatment by the British soldiers. 3 men died of hunger before the gov't backed down and gave better treatment to the prisoners in Ireland.

This doesn't mean I support hunger strikes though even if the cause is good. The studenst are young and probably not know what they are getting into with starvation issues. The question is how far will they go in hunger strike to acheive their goal of forcing JK out of Gally Prez position?? To the death??

This doesn't mean I support hunger strikes though even if the cause is good. The studenst are young and probably not know what they are getting into with starvation issues. The question is how far will they go in hunger strike to acheive their goal of forcing JK out of Gally Prez position?? To the death??

That's a good question, and I have to say, I doubt it. These kids are young, and probably don't have the resolve to really stick this out. There's a big difference between forgoing food for a week or two to get headlines for a cause and really dying for what you believe in. I doubt these kids have it in them to REALLY put their lives on the line. I don't want to sound disrespectful, but it really sounds like they are just doing this for attention.

That's a good question, and I have to say, I doubt it. These kids are young, and probably don't have the resolve to really stick this out. There's a big difference between forgoing food for a week or two to get headlines for a cause and really dying for what you believe in. I doubt these kids have it in them to REALLY put their lives on the line. I don't want to sound disrespectful, but it really sounds like they are just doing this for attention.

I understand what you're saying, but from my understanding of the Deaf psyche and a history of marginalization by mainstream society, I think these deaf kids can really punch it through.

Testament to this is the fact that they've kept the protests strong even though the end of the Spring semester temporarily dampened the situation. If you watch some of the vlogs and blogs coming out of the protests, you'll see the protesters are very emotionally charged.

I understand what you're saying, but from my understanding of the Deaf psyche and a history of marginalization by mainstream society, I think these deaf kids can really punch it through.

Testament to this is the fact that they've kept the protests strong even though the end of the Spring semester temporarily dampened the situation. If you watch some of the vlogs and blogs coming out of the protests, you'll see the protesters are very emotionally charged.

Maybe, but you have to have more than just outrage. You have to harness that outrage and know how to use it effectively, and I don't know that they know how to do that. I'm an outsider looking in, but if they wanted my attention, then they'd better come up with another plan. Hunger strikes and disrespect (the alledged throwing of liquids at Jordon and putting excrement on the floor), would make me turn a blind eye, regardless if they had valid complaints or not.

I am on nobody side...

I emailed Jane and told her to ignore the Protesters and Ricky Taylor....
They can't do anything.... Let them stay outside freezing their butt off.

Maybe, but you have to have more than just outrage. You have to harness that outrage and know how to use it effectively, and I don't know that they know how to do that. I'm an outsider looking in, but if they wanted my attention, then they'd better come up with another plan. Hunger strikes and disrespect (the alledged throwing of liquids at Jordon and putting excrement on the floor), would make me turn a blind eye, regardless if they had valid complaints or not.

I agree. They need more strategic planning, but that doesn't mean they're going to give up easily. GU's admission rates have plummeted and they're still going down. I'm actually worried about the damage being done to the school and hope we can keep Gallaudet for a long time to come!

The students could really benefit from stellar PR. That is exactly what the Gallaudet administration is doing. They're responding to the media, not the students, because they know the media controls the outcome. To beat the administration at their game, Gally students should definitely play the PR arena.

Back