Gallaudet closing??

yes, but most people rather be with their family than a residential school, if it is residential. But it is a sad situation for some students whose parent have little time with them. It's hard on hearing kids whose parents are too busy for them, but I think it is worst for deaf kids.

No, it's the city school for the Deaf. That is really sad...I think that there needs to be a continum of placement options available in metropolition cities. Especially since overall the St. Louis schools aren't known for being very good. I hope at least the students are being funneled to schools with formal Deaf ed programs. This actually might lead some students to transfer to the res school.
Bet you in a few years, they'll be a charter school started for deaf students in this area b/c they found that not all dhh kids can thrive in the mainstream.

Oh, itsa the one in St.Louis; did you see what the chief educator said? :shock:

Special education chief Dr. Chip Jones said it's in the best interest of the children to provide a mainstream education, in a traditional school, for Gallaudet students.
Oh really?

I know when I lived near St. Louis, the deaf community there was more into mainstreaming their children than using the deaf school. Did not make much sense to me, but they felt it was better for the kids since they would have more opportunities to do other things. I don't know what or much more, but it's really sad to me. I do know that enrollment at the Missouri School for the Deaf in Fulton, MO, increased each year over the last 5 years.

Oh damn, Mrs. Summers, you almost scared me as hell because I think it was Gallaudet Univ in DC. :lol:

Oh, I got it since it was in Missouri, okay.

It is very sad, anyway.

Oh damn, Mrs. Summers, you almost scared me as hell because I think it was Gallaudet Univ in DC. :lol:

It is very sad, anyway.

I went What?!! NO WAY!!Then I calmed down when I read it fully. *phew*

:lol: Abraham Lincoln would be spinning in his grave if it were the Gallaudet of Washington, D. D. !!

the deaf community there was more into mainstreaming their children than using the deaf school. Did not make much sense to me, but they felt it was better for the kids since they would have more opportunities to do other things. I don't know what or much more, but it's really sad to me. I do know that enrollment at the Missouri School for the Deaf in Fulton, MO, increased each year over the last 5 years.
Kristi, dhh program mainstreaming or regular school regular classes mainstreaming? I think there's a difference, and can totally understand doing dhh program route. Some of them can be really good. Besides, kids who are already connected to the Deaf community, have that out of school connection (as well as camps and stuff like that) That's good that enrollment has increased at Missouri School for the Deaf....

It is very sad, anyway.

I went What?!! NO WAY!!Then I calmed down when I read it fully. *phew*

Sorry Guys!. I thought it was the University as well till naisho said it was the school!. Didn't mean to scare ya!. :wave:

I believe there are 4 oral deaf schools in St. Louis and the surrounding area.

It doesn't matter. I believe this school was for signing deaf, and it is a real shame too. Because they have to use an interpreter for all their class, and if they are not writing as well as hearing children, they will be asked to be put in special education: either full time or for certain subjects that they are struggling with. Unless the school have charter school for the deaf or anything like that that specialize ASL and deaf children. To make matter worst is that their world probably get smaller because hardly anyone sign. Not that it is any different from my world as a deaf person who grew up with HA. I don't even know what it is like to walk down the hall and be able understand people around me no matter where I go. it have to be a one in one social interactive

Back