Gallaudet Board Chief Steps Down!!

gotin

Reaction score
Celia May Baldwin, the interim head of the Gallaudet University board of trustees, has resigned from the board because of the stress of an emotional presidential search process that has sparked angry protests and "numerous aggressive threats" to her in recent weeks, according to a memo sent to the board secretary.

Yesterday afternoon, Jane K. Fernandes, whose selection as president set off a continuing demonstration at the school for the deaf, said again that she has no plans to resign. And the longtime outgoing president, I. King Jordan, asked people to come together in support of Fernandes.

The search process has been an emotional one from the start because for many the president of Gallaudet symbolizes the leader of the deaf community. On blogs and Web sites across the country, alumni, students and others have exhaustively debated the candidates, analyzed news and traded rumors -- some funny, some venomous. More...

When are people going to accept the new president and move on?

If she has a few flaws, so what? Everyone has flaws. You can't expect anyone to be perfect.

Sheesh! I don't blame her... All those stress, emotional and more...

Let's BLAME on those students that drove her and everybody CRAZY!!!

Why can't everyone deal with it and move on??? Student are going to school for 4 years of B.A. and 2 years of M.A. and they leave that college.. So what, she is only running the campus.. NOT the students.. RME!!!

This is SAD and pathetic. "Aggressive Threats?" How CHILDISH are they? Sheesh. People GET OVER IT and Move ON!

CrazyMomma said:
Sheesh! I don't blame her... All those stress, emotional and more...

Let's BLAME on those students that drove her and everybody CRAZY!!!

Why can't everyone deal with it and move on??? Student are going to school for 4 years of B.A. and 2 years of M.A. and they leave that college.. So what, she is only running the campus.. NOT the students.. RME!!!

Oh sorry in Gallaudet most people get their B.A.'s in 6-7 years and their M.A. in 3-4. Because they don't know how to MOVE ON!

Hey Gally protested students...Get Real Life And Move On! Since out there gotta be worse than new Gally Prez here. Iraqi wars...racism...gas price...and more. :thumbd:

:nono: Don't make the hearing people to think us like you, protested ones.

New Gally prez don't have a job to learn about the Deaf Culture there because she got a job to make Gally to be better education. I am sure she will learning about the deaf cultures time to time. :|

Wait a minute! I know who's Celia May Baldwin! I think that was my middle school principal at CSDF in the 90's. I didn't know she worked at Gallaudet until she resigned.

sequoias said:
Wait a minute! I know who's Celia May Baldwin! I think that was my middle school principal at CSDF in the 90's. I didn't know she worked at Gallaudet until she resigned.

She didnt work at Gallaudet she was one of the Board of Trustees. :)

My biggest concern is people spooking the current BOT could cause them to quit and be replaced by strong audists that could be a lot lot harder to spook.

Richard

We Need Someone With Mor Spine!

It is too bad that she had to leave... we deserve someone with more spine...and still the wrong person for the position on the board... she needs to go too!

Too many audists spoil Gally!

:whistle:

Well that is just might what happen.. They push and push then before you know it.. the BOT will be run by audist and then BOOM! Gallaudet definitely wont be the same! Because too many will feel threatened by the deaf community.

Immature...

In my viewpoint and opinion, the aggressive threat are biggest immature to go against human being...I do support protest but I dont allow any verbal or physical threat because it will not get anywhere...One of Gallaudet Almnui utterly said "Dont do anything extreme but be civil" he is right...so just be real...get real protest isnt for violence war it is just to speak out right of our where we are left in dark and left unheard this is simply... :pissed:

sequoias said:

actually she was interim mean temproray...

VamPyroX said:
When are people going to accept the new president and move on?

If she has a few flaws, so what? Everyone has flaws. You can't expect anyone to be perfect.

Oh well, students have power they paid alot of money to go to Gallaudet and they expect them to be fully run by strong identified Deaf person not any kind of halfling or whatever...When I was MSSD student at this time..I was told by one of MSSD faculty this students have power to disagree or agree because it is their school...student go to school because they wanted to learn not to bum around...if student bum around it is their loss and let faculty have the power!

The Gally students in protest need to get a clue. They're making a mockery of the DPN protest and attracting negative attention to ASL and the Deaf community in general.

Here at NTID, it's worse. Some students take 7 to 9 years to get their AOS.

BigSpike said:
Oh well, students have power they paid alot of money to go to Gallaudet and they expect them to be fully run by strong identified Deaf person not any kind of halfling or whatever...When I was MSSD student at this time..I was told by one of MSSD faculty this students have power to disagree or agree because it is their school...student go to school because they wanted to learn not to bum around...if student bum around it is their loss and let faculty have the power!

ROFL! Students PAID alot of money? No No No - the Government wastes money on students who attend Gallaudet. Alot of students from Gallaudet get state aid - I know not all states but most of them. So, what you are saying are those who attend like lets say Howard University and because those students paid alot of money to go to Howard University they should have a say and decide who the President is. I don't think so! They do NOT have a degree, they DO NOT have years of experience in Educational Administration. This is WHY ALOT of money is spent on Search Committees and Firms for this kind of stuff. But you know what - personally looking at this protest - I think it is going to TURN off ALOT of young deaf individuals who had ONCE thought about going to Gallaudet and will definitely change their minds. And for those parents who thought about allowing their children go to Gallaudet will change their minds. This is NOT a CIVIL protest - this is a "I WANT" protest. Well here is what I want - I "WANT" all State Government to STOP paying for deaf people to attend to Gallaudet it is a waste of my tax payer's money because they just go and then drop out when RF or HC is over with. And I "WANT" the Government to start implementing a policy that deaf individuals can ONLY receive SSDI for a period of time if they show a need for it - not for the whole duration of their lives. Because all this is making us "DEAF" people look bad!

As most people in the Deaf community in Massachusetts know, there is a
significant protest going on at Gallaudet University over the
announcement of the 9th President, Dr. Jane K. Fernandes.

To summarize the issue:

In September 2005, President I. King Jordan announced he would be
retiring at the end of the year of 2006.

Gallaudet's Board of Trustees established a Presidential Search
Committee (PSC). They were to develop criteria and qualification
requirements for the position of President.

By late fall of 2005, the PSC sent out 36 applications to people deemed
qualified for the position. 24 applied.

On April 13th, the Board of Trustees announced the final 3 candidates.
They were all deaf; Dr. Stephen Weiner, current long time professor and
former dean at Gallaudet. Mr. Ron Stern, current Supertindent of New
Mexico School for the Deaf, and Dr. Jane K. Fernandes, current Provost
of Gallaudet since 2000 (she's a Worcester native).

Students, faculty, and staff had the opportunity to express their choice
or preference for President in polls, open forums, and surveys. In every
polls, open forums, and surveys, Dr. Fernandes came in last and/or least
favorable choice.

Students, staff, and faculty do not favor Dr. Jane Fernandes for several
reasons.
-ineffective as Provost of Gallaudet
-quality of education at Gallaudet declined as Provost.
-inability to work with faculty
-inability to interact with students
-inability to lead as a role model for the Deaf

On May 1st, the chairman of the Board of Trustees made the announcement
and the reaction on campus was shock and dismay. The protest started
because the presidential selection was seriously flawed. Faculty, Staff,
Students and Alumni organized themselves as FSSA to lead the protest.

The protest is not about Dr. Fernandes' signing skills and her being not
"Culturally Deaf". Dr. I. King Jordan isn't either of them but he was a
great leader. It's about a flawed presidential selection and many of us
felt it was a rigged selection from the beginning.

FSSA have 2 demands:
1) Jane Fernandes to resign and to re-open the Presidential Search
2) No reprisals against Faculty, Staff and Students

For further information of the protest:

The official website of the protest:
www.gallyfssa.org

Reports of the protest:
www.xanga.com/elisa_abenchuchan

Videos of the protest and forums.
www.bisontv.com

As a concerned alumni of Gallaudet, I urge you and all organizations of
the Deaf in Massachusetts to openly support the protest and call for the
Board of Trustees to re-open the Presidential Search.

You can check the website of gallyfssa.org and see what you can do to be
involved or donate.

You can also see how as an individual or organization can send an open
letter showing your support to the FSSA.

Thank you,
Don Gilbert.

Back