Future Interpreter!

loves2sign

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My name is Dana and I will be off to college next year where I will be studying to become a Sign Language Interpreter. I have 5 friends at my high school that are Deaf and HH, and it has been my dream since the sixth grade to become an Interpreter. I am new here and I look forward to chatting with many of you! Hope to talk to you soon : )

Hey everyone,
My name is Dana and I will be off to college next year where I will be studying to become a Sign Language Interpreter. I have 5 friends at my high school that are Deaf and HH, and it has been my dream since the sixth grade to become an Interpreter. I am new here and I look forward to chatting with many of you! Hope to talk to you soon : )

I too am studying to become an ASL Interpreter except you probably will get there before me because I am only taking one class a quarter because I am working fulltime to pay the bills because I am married. Hard to do but it will be worth it in the end. I also love ASL. Also welcome to AD

hey im shelby. im still in high school but im thinking interpreting is what im going to want to do. i was trying to decide between deaf ed or interpreting... & i think interpreting is what i wanna go into :)

youll have to let me know how your classes are once you start school :)

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Gee, all of a sudden an influx of ASL interpreters-to-be coming out of the woodwork and good luck with your studies. Hope you will enjoy being among us on this forum. :)

Welcome.... I too am going to take the interpreter program this fall... I am so excited! I started learning ASL through my ed degree... I had non ed options to fill... I became addicted to ASL class LOL

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

Feel free to post on any of these threads to your interest and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Again, welcome aboard!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Just take it easy and have fun with us. See you around. :wiggle:

Whoa! Its nice to see more interpeters to be coming here! enjoy your stay here and welcome to AD!

Welcome to AllDeaf. I hope ya will enjoy reading and posting. :)

loves2sign

Wow! Thanks for all of the support and encouragment! I love to see all the other interpreters on this site and of course all of the deaf and hard of hearing people too! I just finished my freshman orientation day and I signed up for Deaf History, ASL, etc. So I'm really excited to start the journey of becoming an Interpreter this fall!!! Hope to talk to all of you soon!

well count me out on the "naive welcome" bit, im leery of newcomers in this exploitative trade. Interpreters get paid alot and and they learn MORE signs than the hoh/late deafened or oral deafs who wants to be Deaf... its unnecessarily unfair.

I have changed my tune with helping terps because seven years ago, one flew over half the globe to enjoy a big OE whilst doing a luxurious terping job. I was the one who directed this terp to a contact that helped initiate this. I received NO thanks nor acknowledgement, and after like 12,000 miles she didnt even gave abit of thought of decency to visit me to say thanks which is only (then) 450 km away. This is Easy for a well-paid terp to hope on the bus or drive up. This is a disgrace and I am disgusted at the this self-interest pursuit she exhibited a long while afterward.

So, contrary to popular thoughts in AD, new terps are not openly welcomed BUT tolerated with caution.

While it is true that not all interpreters do this, just I wanted to point out that interpreters shouldn't take D/deaf ppl for a ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back