Funny Situations that have happened cuz of your deafness

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Want to read your experiences of funny or weird situations that happened cuz of your deafness..

Here is mind that happened last week:

My husband was doing some work around the house so he was going in and out of the basement. I was sitting on the couch watching TV with my son, just relaxing. My husband tells me that he is going to mow the grass in the backyard so I said, "Sure." The basement door was open and my son ran to the base of the basement stairs so I told him no no and closed the door. Locked it. So, I sit on the couch to play with my son and watch TV. I was exhausted from the first week back at work. About an hour and half passed, still no hubby. Didnt think too much of it and then the basement door burst open. My hubby came out and said that I locked him in the basement and that he had been banging on the basement door. I was like ooops cuz I took my hearing aids off due to a headache. He was like "ARRGGGG!!! U need to wear your hearing aids!!!!!" He was locked in the basement for over an hour. OOOOOOPPPPPSSSSIIIEEE!

I thought it was funny. He didnt at first but then he laughed after that. He found a screw to unscrew the door knob. LOL!

My family likes to tease me about the time they found me vacuuming without the vacuum turned on. I didn't have my hearing aid on.

My family likes to tease me about the time they found me vacuuming without the vacuum turned on. I didn't have my hearing aid on.

funny. but I can tell if a vacuum cleaner is on or off even without my hearing aids.. yes I can hear the vacuum's high sound.. maybe you have very profound loss ? ( mine is around 92 dbl)

Hahaha that's hilarious!

Well I have a lot but most of them are common thing like making so much noise without knowing it, out in public and many people try talk to me and when I point at ear and they try yelling it louder *dumb*, one thing I'm not sure if everyone experiences this but trying on clothes in fitting room and people walking in by accident cuz can't hear knock, people trying get my attention and sometimes some went all the way like jumping, dancing waving arms and yelling like idiot and other people stare at them like they're crazy, hmm what else?? Oh yeah I forgot I locked people out or animal in cabinet or closet all time by accident so you're not alone lol I'm sure there's a lot more but I don't remember or think about it that much cuz its normal thing for me

funny. but I can tell if a vacuum cleaner is on or off even without my hearing aids.. yes I can hear the vacuum's high sound.. maybe you have very profound loss ? ( mine is around 92 dbl)

Yep...have the profound loss. We have a central vacuum, so most of the noise is contained in the garage.

Depending what kind of vacuum type you have, I have an upright so I can feel the vibration when it's on. Not a problem. But back then, I used to have a canister vacuum. That kind, you can't feel the vibration and I've experienced that. My sons would turn it off and I would have no clue until I would realize it's not picking up stuff. lol.

Hmmm Ive had several funny instances with my deafness.

I remember one time a friend of mine in first grade was whispering something in my ear and she looked at me funny then started talking to me in a loud hateful way then I yelled back to her "MY EAR IS BROKE DUMMY!" I remember all the kids looking at me like what??

Another time was when I was at my grandmothers house and I had to go do some number 2 buisness, well appearently I was in there for a really long time and I was finishing up my buisness when my mom came in through the window behind the toilet and we both screamed and she fell backwards out the window. Appearently they had been knocking on the door and I did not respond so they thought I had passed out or something in there so they sent mom to go through the window to see what was up. That brings a whole new meaning to being scared shitless. :lol:

Hmmm Ive had several funny instances with my deafness.

I remember one time a friend of mine in first grade was whispering something in my ear and she looked at me funny then started talking to me in a loud hateful way then I yelled back to her "MY EAR IS BROKE DUMMY!" I remember all the kids looking at me like what??

Another time was when I was at my grandmothers house and I had to go do some number 2 buisness, well appearently I was in there for a really long time and I was finishing up my buisness when my mom came in through the window behind the toilet and we both screamed and she fell backwards out the window. Appearently they had been knocking on the door and I did not respond so they thought I had passed out or something in there so they sent mom to go through the window to see what was up. That brings a whole new meaning to being scared shitless. :lol:

Now that's embarassing and funny! My family would put a piece of paper underneath the door to let me know they want me. If your toilet is facing the door, it would work. Apparently yours wasn't, unfortuately, or they didn't think of it...

Ok, I'll share a funny story as well... not really because of, but related to!

One day while riding around town after remapping the fuel/air mix in my motorcycle I decided to take it for a quick spin (30-40 miles or so) So I headed through the back roads out of town to make sure all of my low and mid. range settings were what I wanted them to be.. next was time to check the high RPM ranges (9-14K RPM) so I hopped on the interstate where I was horrified to realize the traffic would not allow such a task.. so, after about 10 minutes of riding on the interstate I exited to head for the house..

The road off the interstate towards my house (which was about 4 miles away or so) has a really nice downward grade followed by a gentle sweeping turn... This was the chance I thought I had.. very light traffic so I gunned it through 5 of the 6 gears.. at the point where I reached I would say 120 or so I passed a motorcycle cop (although I did not see him) who was at a stop sign from one of the streets connecting this road..

I cranked the bike up to 140 which was about the time I started running out of road before the stop light.. but luckily there was a protected green arrow pointing the way home.. so I slammed the bike over and ripped through the turn on the way to the neighborhood...

Now.. I know the old saying of "never sh*t where you live" holds true with neighbors.. so once I reached the neighborhood I toned it down and went the speed limit all the way to the house..

Now to get to my house you have to take a 90 degree turn and go up a slight hill... than my driveway goes down a hill into the back of my house where the garage is..

I made this turn and just as I crested the hill I noticed a motorcycle cop was just turning onto the street as well... so I calmly rode down my driveway.. hit the garage opener which is stored in my jacket pocket and rode inside the garage..

By the time I made it into the garage and was able to shut the bike off.. i see the motorcycle cop in my driveway just outside the garage.. I was thinking of how much bail was going to be, at this point..

So, I took my helmet off and riding gear and made my best "suprised" look at the officer.. at this point he steps off his bike and asks me something which I was unable to understand.. He says something again..but I did not catch that as well (probably due to the fact that not only did I not WANT to understand him..but also because my aids were in my pack and a mic from his helmet was covering his mouth..)

I begin to tell him that I cannot understand him..(which goes on for another half minute as we try to talk back and forth) By this time he is already getting angry.. or angrier.. but he clearly asked me for ID and insurance.. that was pretty unmistakable..

So I hand him my out of state license which was not endorsed for motorcycles..as well as my insurance card.. with those in hand he goes to the back of his motorcycle and radios the information in... by this point im sweating not only from the heat.. but also from the situation. I was trying to think how I could help the situation but felt honesty was not the best policy in this instance..

After a few minutes over next to his bike.. I grab my PDA out of my pack and write on it.. "whats the issue?" still using my sense of shock and suprise face.. He takes a pen out and writes on his little yellow pad that he clocked me doing over 100mph.. at this point i yell at him saying there was no way I could ever be doing that speed.. (note. my bike is not a sport bike in the true sense.. it has no farrings on the sides.. it is a sport bike motor and frame.. but just does not look like one.. Although the engine has been bored out .30 over and race cams and injectors have been installed.. just in case your wondering it is about 130hp.. not bad for a bike that weighs about 350lbs)

He asks me if I can understand him.. I say.. sort of.. then he goes on about the dangers of speeding and how people die.. blah blah blah.. Well.. at the end of his 5 minute rant to which I stopped paying attention to a few seconds into... he writes THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING... SLOW DOWN on his pad and shoves it in my face... then he goes back to write.. so.. how fast WERE you going?.. I shrug and tell him.. 50.. i think. He gave a half-grin and hopped on his motorcycle and out of my life..

Yah... sometimes life can be good... and as Mark Twain wrote "A stolen watermelon tastes better than one bought" I tend to savor that ride more than most of my others due to "getting away with it.."

I will share a cute story from the first day I got my hearing aid....I went to the bathroom to go pee and was devestated that my peeing sounded like a freaking waterfall, I had no idea that made noise, and then I farted....oh my gawds, all those years I had farted whenever I had too and whereever without knowing that it made noise!!! I was so embarrassed!

Want to read your experiences of funny or weird situations that happened cuz of your deafness..

My husband was doing some work around the house so he was going in and out of the basement. I was sitting on the couch watching TV with my son, just relaxing. My husband tells me that he is going to mow the grass in the backyard so I said, "Sure." The basement door was open and my son ran to the base of the basement stairs so I told him no no and closed the door. Locked it. So, I sit on the couch to play with my son and watch TV. I was exhausted from the first week back at work. About an hour and half passed, still no hubby. Didnt think too much of it and then the basement door burst open. My hubby came out and said that I locked him in the basement and that he had been banging on the basement door. I was like ooops cuz I took my hearing aids off due to a headache. He was like "ARRGGGG!!! U need to wear your hearing aids!!!!!" He was locked in the basement for over an hour. OOOOOOPPPPPSSSSIIIEEE!

I thought it was funny. He didnt at first but then he laughed after that. He found a screw to unscrew the door knob. LOL!

LOL! That's a funny story. I'm glad he calmed down in the end though. You'll probably both laugh over it when you are both old and deaf!

:laugh2:

I amuse myself with the things I mishear.
The most amusing in recent memory is:
"...where the spanking machine is?"

I looked at her really strangely and sputtered out: "WHAT?!"

What she actually said was:
"Do you know where the franking machine is?" (Franking is the marking of mail by a company or government that offers free or low cost postage privileges, or the convenience of sending bulk mail without using normal postage stamps.)

lol :) who says losing ones hearing is humour free?

Aw, that's so cute. :giggle:

OH another one from childhood-

I was riding with mom in the car to my grandmother's house for Sunday Dinner and I noticed a new building going up so I asked mom what was going in it-

what I heard:
"A Lesbian Appliance store"

I said WHAT? Of course I was only about 10 at the time and I did not know what to think..

what she really said:
Gillespie's Appliance store.

I dont think I'll ever forget that one. Its become a joke between us over the years now.

probably those aforementioned 'spanking machines', :lol:

:laugh2: That was hilarious, Shel!

-Same thing happened to me Dixie. LOL

One day at work one of my crew worker came up to me and whisper something in my ear, and I looked at him real strange, said to him, "Hello? Do I have to remind you that I'm deaf!" and he started laughing so hard and was so embarrassed that he forgot! *smh* :giggle:

I got another one, when I was at the hotel during my road trip for work, I woke up earlier before my alarm clock vibration went off, I went in the bathroom, took a shower and while I was in the shower my alarm went off vibrating, I didn't hear it go off, so when I came out of the shower I got ready and just reminded myself that my alarm clock was still under my pillow, I went and got it out and packed it in my bag, ready to head out the hotel door, one of my crew worker said to me "Wow Cheri, I could hear your dildo vibrating going off for about half hour!" My face turns red beet I mean real red!!

Before I even had a chance to explained to him it was my alarm clock, everyone at my work knew and they all think it was my dildo that went off instead of my alarm clock. Rumors sure fly around so quick. sheesh!

I didn't hear it go off, so when I came out of the shower I got ready and just reminded myself that my alarm clock was still under my pillow, I went and got it out and packed it in my bag, ready to head out the hotel door, one of my crew worker said to me "Wow Cheri, I could hear your dildo vibrating going off for about half hour!" My face turns red beet that I had no idea that he could be able to hear my alarm clock through a thick wall of a hotel room.

Before I even had a chance to explained to him it was my alarm clock, everyone at my work knew and they all think it was my dildo that went off instead of my alarm clock. Rumors sure fly around so quick. sheesh!

omg, I'm so sorry! :hug:

:lol:

Back