Frustrated!!!

I am going to be talking to the Union rep on Monday, as well, after reading all the suggestions and comments, and see what they have to say about this. I am a School District employee, and I know there are situations in which we can refuse (without facing disciplinary action) to do certain work, and I want to know exactly what the contract says about it.

I am not going to just let this drop, though, no matter what happens...it's wrong and needs to be rectified!

i hate to say this, but sometimes a union is a good thing. there, gt that out. your union is the best bet for something like this. protects you and gets the job classification made clear to the school. though i don't think their concern will be the student so much as your job.

i hate to say this, but sometimes a union is a good thing. there, gt that out. your union is the best bet for something like this. protects you and gets the job classification made clear to the school. though i don't think their concern will be the student so much as your job.

That is what I am thinking...but that in itself may make it so that the school district will HAVE to get their asses in gear and hire another terp...because they won't be allowed to use Intervenors, or anyone else who isn't certified! *fingers crossed*

school foot dragging

Back before mainstreaming was an idea I went thru school as the only deaf. Didn't even have a notetaker back then. That is the reason when I do any adult education classes for pleasure I force the school to follow the law they evaded while I was in school.

Last edited:
I can't even imagine how frustrating that must have been... We dealt with an elementary school teacher when my son was in grade 1 who was really resentful about having a child in a wheelchair in the class... came right out and said that she didn't see why SHE should have to "make accommodations" (like access to a computer, a wheelchair-friendly desk, etc.) for my son. She denied ever having said it, of course, and did what the law said she had to do, but she made it clear to us through the way that she treated my son, that she was not happy about it.

I don't get that way of thinking....but I am awfully thankful to all the adults now whose parents fought, or who themselves have fought, for the right of all kids to have the support they deserve in regular classrooms.

Everyone deserves a fair chance in class. Students and parents need to stand up for the students rights. i can not count the amount of times i have had to stand up for my rights in class. The accommodations are never unreasonable, i just wanted to be able to type up my in class essays so that the teacher could read my essay. I thought it would not only be helping me but also the teacher. A lot of teachers like to be stubborn and stuck in their own ways. luckily a lot of the new teachers believe in inclusion because that is all they are taught in school and that they have to accommodate students.

i am glad you are standing up for your rights. even if the school district only changes because of your contract, the student will still benefit. Sounds like no matter what happens both you and the student can only benefit.

I can't even imagine how frustrating that must have been... We dealt with an elementary school teacher when my son was in grade 1 who was really resentful about having a child in a wheelchair in the class... came right out and said that she didn't see why SHE should have to "make accommodations" (like access to a computer, a wheelchair-friendly desk, etc.) for my son. She denied ever having said it, of course, and did what the law said she had to do, but she made it clear to us through the way that she treated my son, that she was not happy about it.

I don't get that way of thinking....but I am awfully thankful to all the adults now whose parents fought, or who themselves have fought, for the right of all kids to have the support they deserve in regular classrooms.

that's how some deaf get harrass in workplace about their hearing, but they act like "what's the big deal? you are just overreacting" Sad thing is that they don't have to deny of saying it because too many people agree with them since it is about communication.

Back before mainstreaming was an idea I went thru school as the only deaf. Didn't even have a notetaker back then. That is the reason when I do any adult education classes for pleasure I force the school to follow the law they evaded while I was in school.

they didn't have a notetaker for me either during the whole time I was in public school as the only deaf and I'm a grad of 1996. I didn't know such thing exist until I got in college. They did write on the boards and projectors for me, so I was my own notetaker.

pass the bick

they didn't have a notetaker for me either during the whole time I was in public school as the only deaf and I'm a grad of 1996. I didn't know such thing exist until I got in college. They did write on the boards and projectors for me, so I was my own notetaker.

i find it hard to figure if the schools are just clueless about providing terps and note takers for deaf or if they are hoping they will not have to do it. they are after all in the education field and should be aware of the different needs of students who are not the norm. i do know from experience they will go kicking and screaming to provide a terp in some districts. others need a nudge in the form of a letter from an ADA lawyer. i often do things or attend classes or whatever where no deaf has gone before, even in a large deaf population area. still people are clueless !! banging my head against this wall makes me leery about doing it for minor things.

Most of the hearing parents of Deaf students for whom I've interpreted do NOT sign. :(

So true, it same in UK as well. I only met 2 parents that can sign with their Deaf child in my whole life. My parents cannot sign and same with almost everyone else. It very rare to see hearing parents that DO sign with their Deaf child.

i find it hard to figure if the schools are just clueless about providing terps and note takers for deaf or if they are hoping they will not have to do it. they are after all in the education field and should be aware of the different needs of students who are not the norm. i do know from experience they will go kicking and screaming to provide a terp in some districts. others need a nudge in the form of a letter from an ADA lawyer. i often do things or attend classes or whatever where no deaf has gone before, even in a large deaf population area. still people are clueless !! banging my head against this wall makes me leery about doing it for minor things.

it was all above, I think my mother was clueless as well, but they did provide me visual aids so all is cool. It was worst when I was in elementary school ffrom k-3rd when I only had my FM system and rarely any other visual aids. I believe they wanted me to practice my auditory skills while I learn. Somewhat, it did help my listening and speaking skills, but it wasn't good enough.

You have to understand how people try to raise deaf children orally.

I've had to deal with people like that at my old job when I worked for a freight company. They were good about it at first but then they started to resent all the "special" stuff they had to do for me.

It's always going to be a constant fight to get equal access in the mainstream. It's even worse when you have parents who are less than supportive when it comes to struggling to achieve in the mainstream.

I don't get that way of thinking either( ie... that teacher you mentioned).

I've had to deal with people like that at my old job when I worked for a freight company. They were good about it at first but then they started to resent all the "special" stuff they had to do for me.

It's always going to be a constant fight to get equal access in the mainstream. It's even worse when you have parents who are less than supportive when it comes to struggling to achieve in the mainstream.

I don't get that way of thinking either( ie... that teacher you mentioned).

You know, I wish the general population would get what you just said, about having EQUAL ACCESS... so many people think that it's "special" access/ accommodations and they resent it, think it's not fair, etc. they don't seem to get that accessibility should be for everyone, not just able-bodied, hearing people. It's not providing something "special" to ensure that there are Interpreters for the Deaf...it's ensuring that both hearing and deaf have EQUAL access to the same information! It's not providing something "special" to ensure that someone in a wheelchair can get into a bathroom, it's ensuring that both able-bodied and non-able-bodied have EQUAL access.

Sigh.

Why don't some people GET that???? :(

yeah, I told someone, "Hey, even though I never been a man, I know everything about being a man" and told him "see what I mean when I tell you you don't know know what it is like to be deaf?"

Back