Frustrated NON certified interpreter

stacesigns

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been interpreting for almost 10 years. I am currently studying for the RID test. However, my issue, concerns the already certified interpreters. I can't tell you how many times I have had students come to me and ask me to interpret for them because they can't understand their "certified" interpreter. This is very frustrating. Here I am not getting paid as much, as a certified interpreter, and I have to step in and help the deaf student??? This makes me very concerned about the test itself and exactly what they are looking for.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of other interpreters on this.

Thanks, Stacy

I am certainly not implying that all certified interpreters aren't qualified!! I know others who are very skilled!

certified doesn't mean qualified. theres not really any other way to say it.

there is not a whole lot of things in the sign language interpreting field that gives legitimacy to interpreters as professionals. the NIC test is one of those things.

you have doctors who suck...they have all the right liscenses and qualifications, but they still suck. its true in any field.

certified doesn't mean qualified. theres not really any other way to say it.

there is not a whole lot of things in the sign language interpreting field that gives legitimacy to interpreters as professionals. the NIC test is one of those things.

you have doctors who suck...they have all the right liscenses and qualifications, but they still suck. its true in any field.

:gpost: That really sums it up perfectly.

One time, I used CSDVRS and one of interpreter answered and her sign language is very choppy just like the car speed up then stop fast then speed up then stop fast. So I hung up then call other VRS.

Non certification interpreter does sign very good but few of certification doesn't sign very good.

EEK! I don't know what to say about students' begging you to translate for them. But it might embarrass an interpreters enough.

Don't get me started on national certifications.

I've been in the same boat numerous times, although I am certified now, I wasn't.

Don't get me started on national certifications.

I've been in the same boat numerous times, although I am certified now, I wasn't.
You kniow, I've heard this before. I used to work with a CODA who wasn't certified. This person claimed that they didn't need certification, that because they were a CODA, everything was fine. Unfortunately this person was NOT well qualified, not as good as they thought they were, and nearly got fired on ethical grounds because they knew nothing of interpreter ethics, basic stuff that would have been taught first thing in an ITP.

Interpreters know that not all qualified terps are certified, and not all certified terps are qualified. But clients have nothing else to depend on, so they believe that certification equals quality, even if that isn't really the case.

Back