Free dogs are bad idea

respectyoda, a "free dog" from a breeder is a red flag - ethical, responsible, hobby breeders do not have "free dogs" to the general population.

"Professional breeders" may or may not be reputable.

A craigslist ad is a risky way of finding a good home for a pet. I'm a member of freecycle, and offers for live animals are forbidden on that site.

Seeking out an animal rescue group that specializes in that breed or class of dog is probably a safer route to take.

Sure is. I got all three of my greyhounds from a rescue group. I had to prove less to get a mortgage! Dogs are like kids, only they can't sign....

Many forget, this is a messed up economy. We have an epidemic with pet overpopulation. Non-kill Shelters are overcrowded/full and is not accepting many private adoptions (in this area I'm in right now) Some of the shelters only accept from animal control they're networking with. Many families on craigslist do want to see who they rehome their dog to for the peace of mind. Shelters will not tell the families where the dog went and who adopted the dog. I found a puppy and wasn't able to keep it as I already have two dogs in the house and the 3rd one was too much so I turned her into a rescue group who in turn didn't tell me who adopted the puppy as I do wonder what happened to her if she's alright or not. Its always in the back of my head. I didn't turn the pup in the animal control because there was a chance she was a pit bull.

The dogs on craigslist is the same as the shelter dog. They all come from different kinds of families. Don't turn up your nose on a "free dog" it might be a better dog if it didn't spend weeks/years in the kennel, it might be a better adjusted housebroken dog that didn't have to go to the bathroom in its cage. The point is its the freaking circumstances, the economy it's making it harder and harder for people to be able to keep their dogs when their homes is foreclosed, there are renters who have ruined alot of landlords tolerance for allowing dogs on their properties. Those bad apples ruined it for rest of us responsible dog owners.

Many variables comes in play. I dont get why would someone bitch and whine about a free dog being a bad idea, its the same as a shelter dog, a rescue dog, a purebreed dog, a designer dog. All have same types of families from all walks of life. Just need to be more understanding and be patient about finding the right one when one is ready to adopt a best friend and encourage people to spay and neuter their animals.

Back