Forced to Voice

they don't know much about Deaf culture? I AM SAYING SOME..NOT ALL
Is that part of the interpreting program?

Here(nz) it is most of the local interpreters attend the local deaf club

also some interpreters who teach night school nzsl incorporated going to deaf club into their night school classes

Interpreter in training, actually. I hope to graduate this fall.

It depends on how they became an interpreter and what qualifications they have. Understand that not everyone who calls them self an interpreter has received formal training or is even aware that such training is necessary to be an effective interpreter. The program I'm attending emphasizes an understanding of Deaf culture and encourages interaction with the local Deaf community as well as extensive study of ethical decision making.

Then, of course, there are those who have received such training and still conduct themselves poorly because, well, some people are just jerks.

That's awesome. Hope you'll graduate this year. :)

I know that the ADA law says qualified. But hearing from what shes saying, her interpreter is not qualified. so therefore, she can have ADA on her side. she deserves a qualified interpreter.

If she's not qualified then she should not be interpreting.

Again, this is only useful if the terp is certified by RID. If not, there is NOTHING that RID can do.

If the state has certification or licensure, a complaint can be made to the state.

Even if rid does not do anything because she's not certified with rid it still gets on the record the discrimination. And btw, you are mistaken. You can file complaints against interpreters not certified. I have personally done it before. Its just rid is not the best way to go when filing that complaint against an interpreter not certified with them.

Also, you do not need to be rid certified to be a certified interpreter. There are lots of certified interpreters in the business that are not certified with RID.

Nevertheless, it can still get it on the record filing with rid and that is not a bad thing, especially if this interpreter ever wants to become certified with rid or you want to file a complaint with someone else. In addition, a complaint against the interpreter that is certified, as that interpreter permitted this during the training process, can be filed too.

Even if rid does not do anything because she's not certified it still gets on the record the discrimination. And btw, you are mistaken. You can file complaints against interpreters not certified. I have personally done it before.

Thank you for the clarification. You can't do anything to an interpreter who is not an RID member.

What if the interpreter is not a member of RID?
If an interpreter is not a member of RID, you cannot file a complaint against him/her through RID’s EPS. You may way to discuss the problem with the interpreter, and if that is not successful, consider talking to the employing entity that contracted or arranged for the interpreting service.

You can't do anything to an interpreter who is not an RID member.

NOT true at all!!!

Many local agencies have a place for complaints. Many will even fire the interpreter or suspened him or her if enough complaints are leveled against the interpreter. You can email a complaint to them directly.

Many colleges and universities have in house complaint offices as well. The University of Washington for example, has a University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO). That can make it so the interpreter is not allow to interpreter at that college. A significant loss of business for the interpreter.

There is the local registries too. RID is just the national. Their not rid, but complaints can be filed with them the same as RID. That can result in the interpreter losing his or her local certification.

And many states actually have laws against such practices, so a law suit or complaint with the state attorney general could be filed as well. TX and WI for example, have laws like that. That can put the interpreter out of the business forever, or at least, in that state.

There are so many courses one can take against an interpreter that is not certified or not rid certified. It is just patently false to think deaf have no recourse against an interpreter that is not certified or rid certified.

NOT true at all!!! Many local agencies have a place for complaints. You can email a complaint to them directly. Many colleges and universities have in house complaint offices as well. The University of Washington for example, has a University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO). There is the local registries too. RID is just the national. Their not rid, but complaints can be filed with them the same as RID.

*facepalm*

You can't do anything to a non-RID member by complaining to RID. Is it really that hard to understand what I meant?! I already discussed complaining to state agencies.

Deaf have rights!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU have rights as a DEAF person!! YOU do not have to sit idly by and do nothing while someone is discriminating against you. Nor should you let anyone tell you, you have too.

*facepalm*

You can't do anything to a non-RID member by complaining to RID. Is it really that hard to understand what I meant?! I already discussed complaining to state agencies.

As for rid, its not entirely true that filing a complaint with them against an interpreter not certified with them ... is not beneficial. Like I said, it does get on the record the discrimination. That is helpful as its documentation of the discrimination, which can be used as evidence.

Also, I did acknowledge that rid is not the course to go with for an interpreter that is not certified with them. And I did lay out steps one can take that does not involve a complaint being filed with rid. Seems like you just blatantly skipped over that fact though.

Deaf have rights!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU have rights as a DEAF person!! YOU do not have to sit idly by and do nothing while someone is discriminating against you. Nor should you let anyone tell you, you have too.

Wirelessly posted

It came to mind that the hearies who are receiving the interpretation may have pressured her to make you use your voice - hearies have this quirk about needing to hear someone's voice - perhaps they doubted that her interpretation was genuine.

It came to mind that the hearies who are receiving the interpretation may have pressured her to make you use your voice - hearies have this quirk about needing to hear someone's voice - perhaps they doubted that her interpretation was genuine.

You're totally right about that. Some people are that way. However...doesn't mean she has to do it. They can just deal with hearing the interpreter's voice.

Wirelessly posted

I got my own way of dealing with them. :|

I was raised in a family who didn't voice. JUST SIGN. Although I have the ability to speak I never used my voice as much. On top of this crazy year in college...I have one interpreter who forces me to speak for myself. I DONT LIKE VOICING sometimes..Yeah I can but I perfer not to. I think she does that because I can voice. I will if I have to but I have never been comfortable with voicing...how can SHE MAKE ME VOICE? Alot of people don't understand what I say anyway. What is her point :/. She has this Deaf pride thing going on, she wants me to advocate or something lol... I think she means no harm but PEOPLE LAUGH AT MY VOICE!!! CMON

If she had a "Deaf Pride thing going on", she would be respecting YOUR CHOICE, and YOUR wishes. Wanting you to be vocal has nothing at all to do with deaf pride, or with wanting you to be an advocate (self or otherwise). It has to do with her wanting to be in control. VERY disrespectful. :thumbd:

Tell us, tell us pleeese.

I would choke them with my bare hands. I would squeeze until their eyes pop out. Their tongues would stick out like bananas and they will crap in their pants. It would be a mess.

I would choke them with my bare hands. I would squeeze until their eyes pop out. Their tongues would stick out like bananas and they will crap in their pants. It would be a mess.

oh my!

Homer_Simpson_Strangles_Bart-292x300.gif

Back