For 23 years with horses/Ponies but this one I didnt know that!!!

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last week....

I just talked with my friend about how was her large miniature broodmare have to foal yet? She was so sad and said.

The vet told her that Foal is not alive in miniature mare. They did cut the foal out in pieces because is easier on the mare to not go through a C-Section!!

I told her that No way ***me faint and shock**

I asked my equine people about this... Yes True!

They said...

Easier on the horse than cutting her open for a foal that's already gone.

And

It's a fetotomy

commonly done in cattle; even when the calf is alive if its too large to pass through the pelvic canal. Its sad; they do it to save the cow, and yes- if the foal is dead, its a safer route to expel the fetus, as they often die as a result of being too large, the mare gets distressed, and you can lose both.

:shock:

Wow never knew that. hummmmmmmmm that something different to me. I am shocked. I will have to talk to my friend at work next week about that.

yeah, it often occurs because for one thing it's very tough to keep a horse's wound very clean due to being outside and they walk with their belly down. Imagine having a C-Section with your belly facing the ground. More pain and the muscles will take a LONG time to heal, as well as the wounds....it will cause more trouble than it's worth. It's not a pleasant task to do, but it's easier on the mare or the cow. Also, more often than not, C-sections requires cutting into the uterus, thus destroying the potential future of breeding.

Dogs and cats that go through C-sections (I've assisted in a few since I worked as a Surgical Veterinary Technician), are usually immediately spayed because the uterus and fallopian tubes are cut to get the babies.

Interesting, that's new to me. I'll have to ask my stepmom, as she works at the Vet. Maybe she will know or not.

:ty: for the heads up :)

That's interesting, it is something new to me. I did looked up in Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary about Fetotomy.

Thank you for heads up, Phillips. :)

yeah, it often occurs because for one thing it's very tough to keep a horse's wound very clean due to being outside and they walk with their belly down. Imagine having a C-Section with your belly facing the ground. More pain and the muscles will take a LONG time to heal, as well as the wounds....it will cause more trouble than it's worth. It's not a pleasant task to do, but it's easier on the mare or the cow. Also, more often than not, C-sections requires cutting into the uterus, thus destroying the potential future of breeding.

Dogs and cats that go through C-sections (I've assisted in a few since I worked as a Surgical Veterinary Technician), are usually immediately spayed because the uterus and fallopian tubes are cut to get the babies.

Yeah True!

My friend almost lost her horse from colicky. She paid 7 thousand to have her horse surgery and remove Size Grapefruit and few golf of Hard Sand/Rock because Vet believed that Eat too much Pure Alfalfa hays. However, her horse is good recovery! :ugh:

Back