Flea market and negative net result....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
If you've done flea market in the past, you probably know that it may cost anywhere from $5-40 to reserve a space to sell your goods. I've few random thoughts here.

1. Sometimes, I wonder if any dealers have lost money at flea markets. I often see nothing good being offered and no crowds at some particular tables. It makes me wonder if any sales have been made. A dealer may pay $20 to reserve a space at flea market. They make maybe $5 worth of sale. Net result: $-15.

I'm betting that there are something more than just selling at flea market. Such as if you're a dealer, you get early entry and most likely first dib on other sellers' goods. It makes me wonder if some dealer simply pay entry fee, get first dibs and not worry about not making sales. You know, get good deals are more important than making sales to some people.

2. Few years ago, I went to a bazaar sponsored by a deaf organization with an old girlfriend. I'm guessing that they still do it. I've not heard of flea markets sponsored by deaf organization and wonder if there is one? It would be nice if there was one.

3. I'm willing to teach ASL to people that needs it. I hope to talk to people who have experience with flea market. Like, if someone needs a deaf person to interview for their school project, I can do it. I would expect the person to share some insights about flea market. That way, we both help each other.

some vendors have a website and give out business cards, therefore people walk by , look, get a card and leave undetected, then later makes a sale online... one possible solution?

some vendors have a website and give out business cards, therefore people walk by , look, get a card and leave undetected, then later makes a sale online... one possible solution?

True, I see some vendors with business cards. Few of them had it on their table.

One of them wrote price on back of business card when I inquired on price. I ended up buying the item. The vendor told me to keep that card. Look at front. Name of store is on front.

I saw one vendor today from whom I bought from in the past. He chose to not have a table today. He chose to go as a spectator. We crossed path today and he remembered me. He gave me his business card.

Flea markets use to be really big around here (Charleston, SC) and antique stores.

In the past few years, people seem to have slacked off at the flea markets.

I am commenting as a shopper only... I would say over the years, I have seen the quality of items decrease as the prices have increased.

Now, we are a yard saling family.

If you do some sort of craft that you want to sell at the flea market, you might consider one of the small kiosk booths at a mall.

We have craft fairs that are super popular around the holidays. again, pricey, though.

Sorry, that I don't have any great insight for you. I have gone to the markets in the past years and been disappointed.

The only suggestion I might have, is a booth close to the parking lot. I always hit thebooths closest to my car. Those on the far side, and even inside get missed...just because you get tired.

Flea markets use to be really big around here (Charleston, SC) and antique stores.

In the past few years, people seem to have slacked off at the flea markets.

I am commenting as a shopper only... I would say over the years, I have seen the quality of items decrease as the prices have increased.

Now, we are a yard saling family.

If you do some sort of craft that you want to sell at the flea market, you might consider one of the small kiosk booths at a mall.

We have craft fairs that are super popular around the holidays. again, pricey, though.

Sorry, that I don't have any great insight for you. I have gone to the markets in the past years and been disappointed.

The only suggestion I might have, is a booth close to the parking lot. I always hit thebooths closest to my car. Those on the far side, and even inside get missed...just because you get tired.

Like you, I'm a shopper. I'm too cheap to pay for a space at flea market. I would rather sell online where I don't have to pay dealer fees.

I really appreciate your insight as a shopper. I alway feel that I can learn a thing or 2 from other people.

there were 3 flea markets in our area, BIG PEVELY FLEA MARKET, BARNHART FLEA MARKET and another I cant remember the name. All are gone now, they were poplar here and people hated to see them go... supposed to be new strip malls built in the locations now. There is another flea market about 50 miles from here in St. Charles on the rock road... never been to it.

My dad used to run a business at a flea market selling pranks and gag items but with the internet and eBay it makes more sense to do business online especially if you sell an uncommon item. I stopped by the flea market a year ago and compared to 10 years ago they have a lot more souvenir and service type of stands that you can't sell online.

there were 3 flea markets in our area, BIG PEVELY FLEA MARKET, BARNHART FLEA MARKET and another I cant remember the name. All are gone now, they were poplar here and people hated to see them go... supposed to be new strip malls built in the locations now. There is another flea market about 50 miles from here in St. Charles on the rock road... never been to it.

In 1980s, I would go from Chicago to Arkansas with my family every Spring Break. We often stopped in St. Louis area and hit one of the flea market spots. I cannot remember the name of it. I wonder if it was one of the 3 that you mentioned above.

I believe it was off highway. Most likely I 270, that is.

My dad used to run a business at a flea market selling pranks and gag items but with the internet and eBay it makes more sense to do business online especially if you sell an uncommon item. I stopped by the flea market a year ago and compared to 10 years ago they have a lot more souvenir and service type of stands that you can't sell online.

Depends on the area. I hope that flea market you went to is successful. I would personally not go to flea market for souvenirs, but if they're successful on selling souvenirs, the more power to them.

For many items, it's easier to buy at flea market than to deal with cost of shipping such a paying $3 to ship a $2 item. That is one reason flea market is good.

In 1980s, I would go from Chicago to Arkansas with my family every Spring Break. We often stopped in St. Louis area and hit one of the flea market spots. I cannot remember the name of it. I wonder if it was one of the 3 that you mentioned above.

I believe it was off highway. Most likely I 270, that is.

The rock road was off 70 near 270 in North st. Louis county.

The ones I mentioned were all off south bound 55 the barnhart market was at the barnhart exit, Pevely at the next exit Pevely and there was one in between on the outter service road 61/67

The rock road was off 70 near 270 in North st. Louis county.

The ones I mentioned were all off south bound 55 the barnhart market was at the barnhart exit, Pevely at the next exit Pevely and there was one in between on the outter service road 61/67

I would ask if my Mom remembers which one. I don't know if anyone in my family remember which one. It would have been off 55 since you mentioned it. It's probably 55 and not 270 that I went to. I'll have to check them out someday.

I do remember going on 55 a lot. I didn't hit my teenager years back then. I was just a kid and enjoyed road trips including flea markets. I do remember seeing a lot of Cardinals stuffs there which I passed on since I'm Cubs fan. Other than that, I hardly remember those flea markets.

The BIG PEVELY FLEA MARKET was hughe, do you remember if it was set up at an old drive in ? still had the screen way in back and all the poles where cars would park for the speakers. There were also 2 giant indoor pole barns, one was just an indoor flea market (air conditioned ) and the other was an antique mall. Harley Davidson vendors right inside the main gates ( sunglasses, leather biker jackets and chaps...ect... ) Next to that was new furniture and produce stands.

The BIG PEVELY FLEA MARKET was hughe, do you remember if it was set up at an old drive in ? still had the screen way in back and all the poles where cars would park for the speakers. There were also 2 giant indoor pole barns, one was just an indoor flea market (air conditioned ) and the other was an antique mall. Harley Davidson vendors right inside the main gates ( sunglasses, leather biker jackets and chaps...ect... ) Next to that was new furniture and produce stands.

Good question. I only remember going outdoor. I didn't think I went inside nor did I see a big screen. I do remember going to an antique mall not too far away. I know that I didn't go to an antique store right by flea market. I may have seen motorcycle stuffs being sold there. I wish I would see 1 of the 3 flea markets in person and see if I would remember. I'm sure if I see them in person, I would remember.

i go to regular flea market or boot sales and jumble sales i guess all the same thing...all time dealers then at big boot sales cops known to rade them 90% pinched stuff

I use to got to a flea market and I notice some people made more money at end of the day when they mark things down so they'll not have pack it up and take it home. Some people do bring a lot of junk to sell and I wonder if only have space to meet people.

2. I've not heard of flea markets sponsored by deaf organization and wonder if there is one? It would be nice if there was one.

I wish there is such events and clubs for deaf. Maybe one day I will set up various large events for deaf from all over the place to go to, once or two year, something similar to Deaf Expos. We'll see.

A thought for you...how about selling bicycles at Chicago Deaf Expo?

I wish there is such events and clubs for deaf. Maybe one day I will set up various large events for deaf from all over the place to go to, once or two year, something similar to Deaf Expos. We'll see.

A thought for you...how about selling bicycles at Chicago Deaf Expo?

If you can set up something like that, great. I'm not kind of person who set up stuffs.

I did entertain the idea of selling bikes at Deaf Expo. Maybe I will some day.

Back