First ASL class!

MandyQueue

Reaction score
My first class is tomorrow. I'm a little nervous, since I've never been to one before.
Is there anything I should be doing to prepare? It's a beginner class. I hope everything goes well, I'm excited to be learning with real people instead if books or the Internet.

Is there anything I should bring?

My first class is tomorrow. I'm a little nervous, since I've never been to one before.
Is there anything I should be doing to prepare? It's a beginner class. I hope everything goes well, I'm excited to be learning with real people instead if books or the Internet.

Is there anything I should bring?

Do you know what they will be teaching out of? You might want to bring a 1" binder with a bit of looseleaf and a pencil (not to take notes during class about signs etc, but for hand outs and writing down any resources or that they might suggest)

Other than that, the most important thing you can bring to class is an open mind and willingness to learn (ASL isn't English, it has it's own grammar, structure, idioms etc ... approach it as if you were learning German, Mandarin, French, etc)

All I know is the location-a library and the instructors name-Susie Gershowitz.
The class is two hours long once a week for five weeks.
Thanks, I'll be sure to pack those.

The class was AWESOME! I learned a lot, I wish it was longer. I can't wait until next time. It was so much fun. Being in this forum helped a lot when she talked about deaf culture.

Congrats on getting to your first class! I spent a long time learning Japanese Sign Language with YouTube videos being my only guide. The first time I got a chance to be taught by a Japanese Deaf person and practice my JSL was absolutely amazing. I had no idea if all my studying would actually amount to being able to communicate, but it was actually a lot of fun and I realized that the self-studying paid off because I was able to communicate (not fluently, of course, but I managed). I was also nervous and didn't know how to prepare.

Good luck in the classes! Just out of curiosity, what is the set up of the group? I've been to a sign language circle once in Japan and have been asked if there are groups in America for learning ASL like there are in Japan for learning JSL. I know there are classes, but I don't know if there was something like this. Basically, it's a free group that meets regularly at a location, this one being a social welfare center. Everyone splits up into circles (chairs lined up in a circle) divided by levels (entry level, beginner, intermediate, etc.), and each circle has one or more Deaf person and interpreter to guide everyone in learning JSL. Is it something like this?

Since this is a group that is only meeting for five weeks, I imagine it's a class?

It is a class, yes. We have a bunch of rectangular tables with four people per table, and our teacher teaches is a few signs (7 or eight) then we turn to our partners and sign questions and things from the dialogue on the handouts the instructor provides.
There are two more advanced members, but for now they're getting a review in finger spelling because that's good for everyone. :)

JSL sounds very difficult, do you know Japanese as well?

It is a class, yes. We have a bunch of rectangular tables with four people per table, and our teacher teaches is a few signs (7 or eight) then we turn to our partners and sign questions and things from the dialogue on the handouts the instructor provides.
There are two more advanced members, but for now they're getting a review in finger spelling because that's good for everyone. :)

JSL sounds very difficult, do you know Japanese as well?

Ah, I see. Seems like the typical language class!

I find fingerspelling (in JSL) difficult, especially understanding someone else fingerspelling at a normal pace. So, it's definitely been helpful for me to get practice with that in person. I've been improving ever since I've been practicing in person with others.

Yes, I know Japanese, so that helps! Not fluent, but at an advanced level. My JSL isn't advanced or anything, but ever since I got into JSL, my Japanese really improved since I had to learn it in Japanese. Not much on it in English. Actually, there's a program at university nearby me in which Japanese hearing students come to America, and learn both English and ASL. I heard that the ASL helps them remember English better, because it's visual.

Back