Fire Alarm System

curiousone

Reaction score
Hello everyone! i'm doing a research paper on the Product design of a Fire Alarm System for Deaf persons.
I would greatly appreciate any participant to take part in a short interview about this alarm system.
thank you for your time :)

I will say that I don't have (or need) one as a hearing impaired person, but as an Engineer, I have thought about things like that. I think that alarms with blinking lights are good, but what about if you are at work or somewhere that does not have sufficient alarms for deaf people? Besides just replacing all fire alarms with blinking ones (the easy answer), I was thinking what about following a similar principal to the phone alarm I have which is to have a vibration?

You could have a portable unit that reacts to the pitch of fire alarms and vibrates. Now, the hard thing about that would be to pick out the specific frequency such that you don't get false alarms, but maybe it is possible?

it actually have alarms that warns but deaf and blind persons. it actually pick up frequency of sound and the chemicals in the environment. it takes the form as a watch.

Bright flash lights. Already exist. The end.

i am aware that type of alarm exist but you don't want any improvements to it? like the use of it?
Would you mind letting me of how you were taught to deal with a fire situation?
your cooperation would be greatly appreciated

i am aware that type of alarm exist but you don't want any improvements to it? like the use of it?
Would you mind letting me of how you were taught to deal with a fire situation?
your cooperation would be greatly appreciated

What improvements would be needed? As far as being taught how to deal with the fire situation, I think every kid in elementary school was taught what to do in case of a fire.

What improvements would be needed? As far as being taught how to deal with the fire situation, I think every kid in elementary school was taught what to do in case of a fire.
Improvements like ease of use, the complexity of the device, reliability, cost of it?

Ok, let me ask you, what do you know already about fire alarms for the deaf? And what makes you think it needs to be improved?

i have several ideas, but not going into details... Actually working on it to see if anything can be done.

Ok, let me ask you, what do you know already about fire alarms for the deaf? And what makes you think it needs to be improved?

I know the fire alarms for the deaf there is the flashing lights which seem to be popular for the home use. Also there are devices that are attached on the person's body that would vibrate if it pick up any sign of chemicals in the air or maybe even the frequency of the fire alarm near by.
then recently i found out that are fire alarms with a smell of wasibi in it that alerts the individuals of an emergency.

I think everything has been done for the fire alarm system but i am working on the improvment of the device so that is why i am looking at these aspect of the device.

i think probably to produce a device that would require low maintenace and it wouldn't cost much to purchase as i notice poeple complain about the price of the fire alarm alot.

i know the target market for the device isnt large so that is why it is pricy to obtain.

I know the fire alarms for the deaf there is the flashing lights which seem to be popular for the home use. Also there are devices that are attached on the person's body that would vibrate if it pick up any sign of chemicals in the air or maybe even the frequency of the fire alarm near by.
then recently i found out that are fire alarms with a smell of wasibi in it that alerts the individuals of an emergency.

I think everything has been done for the fire alarm system but i am working on the improvment of the device so that is why i am looking at these aspect of the device.

i think probably to produce a device that would require low maintenace and it wouldn't cost much to purchase as i notice poeple complain about the price of the fire alarm alot.

i know the target market for the device isnt large so that is why it is pricy to obtain.

You just gave me an idea.

I think if you really want to know how it can be improved, you have to get one and use it to get a realistic idea.

I wouldn't know about prices - we get them for free in Canada from the government. All of my needs from hearing aids to doorbells to waking up to crying babies to fire alarms to FM systems, all taken care of for free.

This is all well and good but I don't see how lower cost at retail could be achieved cuz these things aren't exactly mass produced at "a dime a dozen".....

This is all well and good but I don't see how lower cost at retail could be achieved cuz these things aren't exactly mass produced at "a dime a dozen".....

They are. Think of all the hospitals, restaurants, hotels, etc etc that has them in the halls, etc.

you might be able to find a manufacturer in China that will make them for $10/each shipped.

I think if you really want to know how it can be improved, you have to get one and use it to get a realistic idea.

I wouldn't know about prices - we get them for free in Canada from the government. All of my needs from hearing aids to doorbells to waking up to crying babies to fire alarms to FM systems, all taken care of for free.

thats so cool where i live the government dont even do that. i know in most homes dont even have fire alarms.

Well... If you have the networking.. I do have a few ideas to be honest.

honestly i'm not really going to make this product, its actually a project i have to do in a course i am doing which is Product Design and development.
i have been assign to gather what the customers are interested in and how to make it to their liking. so that the product would have the potential of being sold

Back