fingerspell Y-E-S or sign *S* (Yes)

Which sign you prefer?

• Total voters
Which one you sign?

Fingerspell Y-E-S or Sign nod *S* Yes.

I noticed some prefer fingerspell Y-E-S or some prefer sign nod with *S*, Yes.

I use "S" yes. But noticed some friends spelling yes. I think it look cool, I tried to do that but I kept forgot and use "S" yes instead. Oh well. And they spelling "v-e-r-y"..I tried do that too but kept forgot to fingerspelling, I did signs "V"

I would only say Y-E-S, and have only seen Y-E-S, as there is the lexicalized version, for clarification of the sign yes, (i.e. with a beginning signer) or if for some reason discussing the English word yes in a deep linguistics discussion about word meaning, (i.e. me signing to a Deaf person: the English word Y-E-S is not equivalent to sign YES or fingerspelling Y-S in meaning because...)
Basically, I would only spell Y-E-S, and have only seen it spelled, when talking about the English word yes. (It could maybe, possibly, RARELY be used otherwise, but it would be a one time event and not be repeated)

Also, the lexicalized version-- as all lexicalized signs are-- doesn't have the same movement as our usual "borrowing English words" fingerspelling. The Y to S does a little bit of a jump forward, and often has an upward swinging movement. -- Alas, I don't have a camera, but ask a fluent signer to show you this if you don't know what I mean.

Hope this helps!
(I'm a Linguistics major with a focus in ASL, can ya tell?)

:lol:

thank you for answering my question, signer16.

in the 13 years i've been signing, i've never seen anyone fingerspell "y-e-s." i've only seen people use their "s" hand or fingerspell "y-s."

i understand what you mean about the lexicalized version of "yes" having an upward swinging motion -- kind of similar to the way "job" is fingerspelled "j-b," "dog" is signed with a snap of the fingers, "bbq" is fingerspelled "b-b-q," "ok" is fingerspelled "o-k," "mr." is fingerspelled "m-r," "mrs." is fingerspelled "m-r-s" or "hard of hearing" is fingerspelled "hh."

I sign nod *S* for yes. I have never seen fingerspelling Y-E-S.

I would only say Y-E-S, and have only seen Y-E-S, as there is the lexicalized version, for clarification of the sign yes, (i.e. with a beginning signer) or if for some reason discussing the English word yes in a deep linguistics discussion about word meaning, (i.e. me signing to a Deaf person: the English word Y-E-S is not equivalent to sign YES or fingerspelling Y-S in meaning because...)
Basically, I would only spell Y-E-S, and have only seen it spelled, when talking about the English word yes. (It could maybe, possibly, RARELY be used otherwise, but it would be a one time event and not be repeated)

Also, the lexicalized version-- as all lexicalized signs are-- doesn't have the same movement as our usual "borrowing English words" fingerspelling. The Y to S does a little bit of a jump forward, and often has an upward swinging movement. -- Alas, I don't have a camera, but ask a fluent signer to show you this if you don't know what I mean.

Hope this helps!
(I'm a Linguistics major with a focus in ASL, can ya tell?)

i wonder if part of the reason why i see my tactile terps sign "s" 95% of the time might be due to the fact that it's more easily identifiable in tactile sign compared to "y-s" or "y-e-s?"

i also wonder if the variation between seeing people sign "y-s" as opposed to "y-e-s" is because of a difference in regional signs?

by the way, i've also had tactile terps place one of my hands against their cheek while nodding their head to represent the sign for "yes."

i wonder if part of the reason why i see my tactile terps sign "s" 95% of the time might be due to the fact that it's more easily identifiable in tactile sign compared to "y-s" or "y-e-s?"

That makes sense. I'm not really sure, but that also make sense because movement could show emphasis in tactile sign as opposed to fingerspelling. And considering how tired tactile terps hands become, the sign is probably slightly less of a strain than the fsp.

i also wonder if the variation between seeing people sign "y-s" as opposed to "y-e-s" is because of a difference in regional signs?
I don't think so. At least east/west both do the Y-S... I've never seen the Y-E-S from a NATIVE signer. Age could be one factor though-- the oldest deaf generation that's still alive does have some people who tend to f-i-n-g-e-r-s-p-e-l-l a-l-m-o-st- a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, so they might spell it. ;)

Hear Again;1170910 by the way said:
hmm, I could see why, but that also seems like a lot more work-- unless they wanted to show that the specific speaker was nodding yes.

As was said earlier, this probably varies by region. I have seen both the "S" nodded and "Y-E-S" fingerspelled out. Personally, I like the "Y-E-S" spelled out, it seems to have more emphasis. I have, however, never seen the "Y-S" - don't know if that's just not used around here, or if it is seen as laziness to not bother spelling out the entire word. The difference between "e" and "s" only have just a change of the position of the thumb. And, for fluent signers such as I, the "e" and "s" can evolve so rapidly in "yes" that it becomes hardly noticeable and people may think there's only a "y-s" in there, but I know the difference.

Depend on what you conversation with sign two different way.

Yup with hands nod. If that person ask you question, you fingerspell YES yup Y-E-S (facial expression)

I use "s" nod. Ive only seen fingerspelled Y-E-S when having serious conversation or agressive signing towards your kids :) Just like I'd fingerspell N-O if I was trying to make a point, instead of sign for no.

I use both signs. Normally I used S sign up and down for casual conversation. But if it is a serious conversation or insist that I am asolutely positve for sure about the question, then I used Y-E-S with facial expression like an !!!!! and it is almost like yelling at the top of your voice. :D

I use both signs. Normally I used S sign up and down for casual conversation. But if it is a serious conversation or insist that I am asolutely positve for sure about the question, then I used Y-E-S with facial expression like an !!!!! and it is almost like yelling at the top of your voice. :D

what do you mean by a "facial expression like a !!!!! ?" what does that look like? do you mean that you nod your head in an exaggerated fashion?

what do you mean by a "facial expression like a !!!!! ?" what does that look like? do you mean that you nod your head in an exaggerated fashion?

I'm not exactly how this person means, but in my case it's just that look a parent gets at their kid. It's very hard to describe for a blind person to understand. I'm not very good at explaining myself. My mother describes it as an "eagle eye stare". My brother does it great and neither my kids or his EVER have to have him repeat it again.

Sorry for being late on this. What I mean with facial expression like mouth movement for YES and look like an exclaimption (not sure about the spelling) on the face, but I put like !!!! to mean YES ( yes, nodding goes with the expression) while I spell sign Y-E-S at the same time. It is hard to explain exactly how I make the expression on my face while I spell sign Y-E-S. :cool2:

I have three ways of signing YES.

The third way is to inform the strange hearing lady I pick out from the bars for a nighter that I can't communicate in the dark. They all seem to miss out on this.

I tell them "If I ask for sex in the bed during the dark, tug my (insert word for a male genital) once if it is a yes. Tug it 50 times if it is a no."

I have three ways of signing YES.

The third way is to inform the strange hearing lady I pick out from the bars for a nighter that I can't communicate in the dark. They all seem to miss out on this.

I tell them "If I ask for sex in the bed during the dark, tug my (insert word for a male genital) once if it is a yes. Tug it 50 times if it is a no."

Oh, you are nuts!!!! :roll:

Back