Final Finished my asl paper :]

ok here it is let me know what you guys think :]

o and please dont steal it :]

Deaf Art Project
Deaf art is traditionally defined as an artistic piece created by a deaf or hard-of-hearing person. These creations are based on deaf topics or difficulties they face in every day life. This can include anything from hand signs to discrimination in the work force. In most deaf communities, deaf- themed artwork is referred to as De’Via (Deaf View Image Art). In the time I spent researching these pieces I found that they represent so much more than a traditional painting or poem. They go into more depth and give off much more emotion.
Betty Miller is a famous De’Via artist that bases her work on anti-oralism. One of her well known pieces is a drawing of two hands handcuffed with the fingers removed. This is an excellent example of the discouragement some deaf people are feel within today’s society. Chuck Baird and Ann Silver are two other famous artists who make their statement in the world by showing people of all hearing ability what it is like to be deaf.
The piece I chose to analyze is entitled “Thoughts of a deaf child”. This is a De’Via poem written by Stephen J. Bellitz, and although not much can be found about him, his poetry still makes a huge statement. Not only is this a great
Kaiser 2
poem, but from a hearing persons perspective it makes you sympathize for the deaf child. Children have a hard enough time growing up and learning to properly communicate. When you add to that a parent in denial, unwilling, or unable to learn the mess just becomes bigger and unnecessary.
The poem states that the artist is currently near the age of eighteen and explains the struggles of growing up as aD.O.H.A. (Deaf of Hearing Adult). Reading the poem makes me think, what if my parents spoke a different language? I’m not sure I could handle it.
The poem finishes with; “I never cared about the sound of radios and bands; what hurts the most is I never heard my parents signing hands.” With such a powerful ending it is sure to touch many hearts.
My project is called Love. It is a ceramic hand in the shape of the hand-sign meaning I love you. Some famous deaf artists who work specifically with clay as I did are Lee Ivey and Eiichi Mitsui who were both born deaf. The two share a passion for ceramics but work in different ways. Ivey has a variety of pieces including those to be considered De’Via such as that of a young school girl handcuffed and wearing ear muffs. Mitsui’s work differs as it is more of a symbol towards his Japanese background or heritage rather than his hearing or lack there of.
Overall, this was one of my favorite projects this year because I learned so much. I combined my love of American Sign Language with ceramics and explored a little further into the world of De’Via in the process.

Good job on paper! I would post mine but it ended up being 5 pages instead of 2. We had to go to a deaf event and write a reaction paper. I went to 4 this semester, had a total blast (sometimes literally), and I wanted to write on all 4 so I did LOL.

ya we have to do that for my class too. i usually go to six flags on deaf day :] so much fun!!

Back