Fighting for the high school regular diploma....

*Starfish87*

Reaction score
I REALLY hated going to IEP meetings and fighting for the regular diploma for four years! These IEP stuffs always wanted me to have a stupid modifined diploma, all because they want money and they didn't think that i can make it through the mainstream classes. Well, I did! When I graduated, I got the regular diploma. I was so glad to get it. I was wondering is there any deaf people who have the same problem as mine such as fighting for the regular diploma...

I graduated with a regular diploma. I wasn't aware that there was a "modified diploma". That's probably what some of the other deaf students got when they graduated my high school. :dunno:

I REALLY hated going to IEP meetings and fighting for the regular diploma for four years! These IEP stuffs always wanted me to have a stupid modifined diploma, all because they want money and they didn't think that i can make it through the mainstream classes. Well, I did! When I graduated, I got the regular diploma. I was so glad to get it. I was wondering is there any deaf people who have the same problem as mine such as fighting for the regular diploma...

Not me but I am very thankful for a certain teacher who told us what subjects and how many of those subjects we need to pass to get a regular diploma when I was a sophomore. That is when I knew I need to buckle down and pass my math classes. If I didn't know of this, I probably won't get a real diploma due to my lousy math skills. I have heard of some students who got really upset when they got a modified diploma. I think a modified diploma is handwritten (student's name) while the real one has calligraphy writing. I think all students should be made aware of the requirements for the diploma when they start high school or transferred to a high school. Perfect example of what parents and teachers often don't tell the students and then the students find themselves in trouble just because they weren't informed of things like that.

This teacher talked about it because a classmate asked him about it. I have never heard any other teachers talk about this. The state requires 4 passed math classes and I had failed Algebra I in my freshman year but in my Senior year I had to take Physics and Geometry so I got one chance to fix what I blew in my freshman year. I am just very lucky.

i got regular dipolma at Deaf School but i have to attended one summer school class because i missed one required extracurrilular class: Service Learning. so, i took a month of summer school, ace it. 2 weeks later, zoom to Rochy.

Didnt have to fight for my diploma..I was never in any special education classes.

The only special education class they put me in in high school was gym class because I had a heart problem. During my freshman year, they'd have me play croquet and stuff like that with the special ed kids. After that, it was either individual classes of swimming or golf or golf and weightlifting with some other people who were in special education just because of physical things like CP.

The rest of my classes were normal, honors and AP classes, so I got a Regents high honors degree.

Yeah... I worked so hard to get a regular diploma for four years. Guess what? I got nothing but this modifined diploma...

My English level is only 6 grade or 7th, yet I got CIM.
Reading level is either 6th or 7th...

They just gave me a modifined diploma! :mad:

Since I thought regular diplomas are above 8th or 9th level until I learned what a real regular dilpoma is about, I got so mad because I worked my ass off to get it but I never could get one. Four years is totally wasted my time!! :mad:

Now, I'm still stuggled to get it right one since I graudated a few years ago. I already dropped my plan for college and doing self-teach instead, due to many plans within a few years. :(:(

EDIT: Oh, yeah - In my high school time, I got many good grades and was so great student but... :shakes head: No good. :(

Last edited:
Yeah... I worked so hard to get a regular diploma for four years. Guess what? I got nothing but this modifined diploma...

My English level is only 6 grade or 7th, yet I got CIM.
Reading level is either 6th or 7th...

They just gave me a modifined diploma! :mad:

Since I thought regular diplomas are above 8th or 9th level until I learned what a real regular dilpoma is about, I got so mad because I worked my ass off to get it but I never could get one. Four years is totally wasted my time!! :mad:

Now, I'm still stuggled to get it right one since I graudated a few years ago. I already dropped my plan for college and doing self-teach instead, due to many plans within a few years. :(:(

EDIT: Oh, yeah - In my high school time, I got many good grades and was so great student but... :shakes head: No good. :(
Was it because they didn't listen to you or they didn't even let you try out the regular classes? I have had a hard time in the mainstream english class in my freshmen year but got an C grade. In that time, my english (reading and writing) level was around 6th or 7th grade. But from what I am saying is that they let me try it out and see if I can do it. Well, I did but funny thing was that they still want me to get mondfied diploma.

What kind of school did you attended? Mainstream? or self-contain class for the deaf in a hearing school?

Please tell me what you have learn what a real regular diploma is all about? I am just curious about the explanation.

I think you still can go to a 2 year college and then transfer to 4 years college after getting your Associates degree.

You know.............I wonder how many mainstreamed kids (kids who are supposodly reaping the "benifits" of mainstreaming) are getting a modified diploma?

You know.............I wonder how many mainstreamed kids (kids who are supposodly reaping the "benifits" of mainstreaming) are getting a modified diploma?

Ooohhh! Good question! How do we collect the data???? Anybody got an idea?

I never heard of high school modified diploma. I had the high school regular certificates. (There's no diploma in New Zealand high schools)

The IEP should listen to you for your option and inputs, because it is going be your future and career if you are planning going to college/university/working.

I got a regular diploma. But it was long ago and I don't think they had a modified diploma.

Back