feet running shoes.

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Anyone have this feet running shoes?

Vibram FiveFingers Bikila LS Running Shoes - Women's - Free Shipping at REI.com

Last sat. While I was running and the guy has passed me when we got close to the finish line. I was struggling to run, and spotted at his feet that got me smile. I am in the back and tiny in the picture. Im in black short. Look at his feet. LOL I didn't ask him about his feet shoes but talked shortly, about the run,
"what a run today." That was it.

In the pic he doesnt look like this but hes a nice looking when he isn't running. He has a nice smile. LOL

dsc04500x.jpg

You have a crush on the guy, don't you? ;)

As for the feet shoe thing.... I doubt I'd ever wear those. I have low arches so I need support. I did try something like it once (for walking only) and it actually felt okay. But ehh...

I have a fetish for wacko's feet. ;)
j/k!
I would like to try the fetish shoes to see if i like it. I thought they look so funny on peoples feet.

Running on the California's sandy beach with barefoot is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!

two? how do you like those funky shoes so far? do you think they are good to go for running?

I love them
I had alot of feet and back problems until I started using vibrams.
you need to learn how to run and walk with a different stride and landing position to avoid hurting your feet but once you have that down it's all good.
I found I have less pain and my posture has improved greatly.

you need to make sure you get real ones and not the knockoffs though. Alot of the knock offs are not sized or made properly and can do serious damage to your feet. So I order straight from the companies website.

They get me a lot of attention and almost everyday someone asks me where I get them and how they work.

My only complaints are the price (comparable to well made running shoes) ~$90 and the smell that can build up from them but they can go into the washing machine easily just not the drier and they dry very quickly when hung to dry.

you need to measure your feet well though because the measurements are to an 1/8 of an inch difference and that 1/8 inch can means a lot. But the company website explains it all step by step.

The company site is Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes It's pretty easy to navigate.

I like the ones with thinner soles better. They hold up just as long (a few years) and I can feel the ground better.

I just got the sprints in the mail and love them as well. (I needed to replace my bilkas because my cat ate them.)

They have kids sizes as well which I thought was awesome.

Yes The price is nuts. Oh is that funky feet shoes smell bad compares with regular shoes?

Yes The price is nuts. Oh is that funky feet shoes smell bad compares with regular shoes?

They are easier to clean but yeah you notice the smell sooner. The smell is roughly the same as the inside of normal shoes but there is less of a barrier so the smell is noticeable faster.
But the same ways to deodorize regular shoes work as well. Sprays and I love baby powder.

I have vibram KSOs, although I like to barefoot it whenever I get the chance as the KSOs aren't quite as natural as the real deal.

Getting my VFFs and running in them has been part of a huge turning point in my life. I had no idea that humans, normal humans, could enjoy running before. But then I got caught onto barefoot running, and all the really good reasons why you should do it, and never looked back.

Running in cushions (running shoes) gives you temporary relief from your mistakes, but long term suffering in the form of injuries. Running barefoot gives you immediate feedback about how you're screwing up, and long-term protection against the injuries caused by wearing casts around your feet ("running shoes").

You have a crush on the guy, don't you? ;)

As for the feet shoe thing.... I doubt I'd ever wear those. I have low arches so I need support. I did try something like it once (for walking only) and it actually felt okay. But ehh...

The idea that a rubber bump can take on the thousands of pounds of force you plunge down on your feet when you run is absurd. What's more absurd is expecting the rubber bump to actually support your arches, which tighten and strengthen as your weight presses down, not as an "arch support" presses up. On the evolution train, running with rubber lumps to support our arches under our feet came basically yesterday: which is around the time more people started injuring themselves running, less people started doing it, and people started getting out of shape and lazy because running is hard.

Running shoes are a bandaid for any foot problems you actually have. Strengthening your feet, legs, form, and awareness by running barefoot (or minimalist) is often the solution.

I like the ones with thinner soles better. They hold up just as long (a few years) and I can feel the ground better.

I tried the "jaya" model in store, and it was like walking on two huge disks of rubber padding, and I was actually heel striking in them because of the amount of rubber. A definite and bad departure from the KSO's design, which is only a little reinforced at the balls of the feet and heels.

I saw someone in the store shopping with those feet shoes. I went up to him and asked him about it and all he has to say is that he loves them. I asked if they feel wierd or uncomfortable between toes? He says it took him awhile to get used to it but he loves it now. I am Not convince tho- I cant stand the thought of having my toes seperated like that by rubber. the old style flip flops that held by toes is more then enough for me which is why I went open toes style and love it.

I saw someone in the store shopping with those feet shoes. I went up to him and asked him about it and all he has to say is that he loves them. I asked if they feel wierd or uncomfortable between toes? He says it took him awhile to get used to it but he loves it now. I am Not convince tho- I cant stand the thought of having my toes seperated like that by rubber. the old style flip flops that held by toes is more then enough for me which is why I went open toes style and love it.

I know what you mean about toes separated between toes. ummm Hey when will you join 10k run again? :cool2:

The idea that a rubber bump can take on the thousands of pounds of force you plunge down on your feet when you run is absurd. What's more absurd is expecting the rubber bump to actually support your arches, which tighten and strengthen as your weight presses down, not as an "arch support" presses up. On the evolution train, running with rubber lumps to support our arches under our feet came basically yesterday: which is around the time more people started injuring themselves running, less people started doing it, and people started getting out of shape and lazy because running is hard.

Running shoes are a bandaid for any foot problems you actually have. Strengthening your feet, legs, form, and awareness by running barefoot (or minimalist) is often the solution.

Are you sure about that? Because when I walk for a long time in sneakers, I don't get certain pains in my arches, but when I walk a long time in casual shoes that are just flat, I get pain in my arches.

This is just from walking, unless I'm walking "wrong"..........

Frisky, im not sure if you're being honest, but Vibram really doesnt sounds like a shoe...it reads more like viberating rammers...shouldnt that be in your confession?:lol:

my running shoes is an ASICS GEL-Kayano bloody expensive - $300 a pair
but its an excellent shoe, although I now prefer Saucony ProGrid Hurricane, i really like this one...bit cheaper too, as does the cheaper Omni which id get next...dont need to spend Lots but at least i know Saucony is an excellent brand, with excellent shape and feel

The fabric and sides of rubber between each toe (on the KSOs) is all of 1mm, maybe two. It isn't too different from how your toes would be if you were barefoot.

Some runners who don't like their pinkies being separate from the toe next to it (because the pinky is bad at responding to threats by moving individually, but works fine when linked to another toe) sew the two packets together.

They definitely take a while to get used to, because people's feet have been crippled by years of walking and running around in what amounts to soft walking casts. A radical change like barefooting or very-minimalist footwear takes work and dedication, but ultimately pays off.

Flip flops that are only secured by your toes are not a great idea. When you walk in them, you have to unconsciously "grip" them with your toes, which forces you to walk abnormally. If you wear sandals, I suggest a pair that secures in the back, like http://www.borntorun.com/collections/luna-sandals/products/original-luna-with-leather-top-mens or Born to Run — VIVOBAREFOOT Achilles - Men's The first pair is listed as "mens" sizes only, so only works for women with bigger feet, but you can select the "custom" option and have them make it smaller for the same price.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Because when I walk for a long time in sneakers, I don't get certain pains in my arches, but when I walk a long time in casual shoes that are just flat, I get pain in my arches.

This is just from walking, unless I'm walking "wrong"..........

Running shoes temporarily mask the pain of what you're doing, but they don't prevent the damage nor the force, especially if you're heel striking. Because you don't get the right feedback (pain), you keep doing these negative things (like pounding the ground harder instinctively because your feet are seeking out solid ground underneath your gel-filled shoes), and don't have the feedback to fully correct your form.

Casual shoes can cause pain for a number of reasons... many of them have thick soles, they may be ill fitting, etc. They are incomparable to the experience of going truly barefoot or minimalist.

Ultimately, though, going barefoot or minimalist after years in running shoes is going to hurt like hell for a while. Muscles you were pretty sure you never had will scream at you for weeks. You're basically recovering from a lifetime of feet and legs spent atrophying in casts.

After that, though, is the fun stuff. Those first few weeks of pain mean stronger calves, stronger legs, an acute awareness of how and where you land your feet (on the forefoot or midfoot, and lightly, because you've now learned to run and walk to avoid pain), and the ability to run as you were designed to.

Back