FCC threatens to destroy VRS by mismanagement

He was speaking for Obama cutting several spending. I am not sure if this is true but I am getting this information as possible real. I was told by one of VRS customer that works for government, that customer's VRS speed was cut in half due to not enough money.... Mind you, this was Federal office!

That's Tea Party for you because they don't like government spending, more taxes and free money.

Wirelessly posted

Better take your own advice.

PowerON is not in the wrong. Goverments around the world around the world are slashing programs all over to pay off the deficits built up over the last half century.

FCC is not immune to budget cuts. It's entirely possible the Deaf population will have to go back to TTY. That's not really a problem because late-deaf, oral deaf and poverty-striken Deaf are still dependent on TTY/IP relay/CapTel, so those services will still *mostly* in place. So the TTY isn't as *dead* as some of you guys are making it out to be.

It sucks that VRS will be reduced, hopefully not too severely, but when a government is trying to pay off the debt, programs like disability, arts, cultural preservation, low income housings and welfare for the elderly are usually the first to go. And far as the American government is concerned, VRS probably fall under "disability."

Chew on that for a bit and think about the dominio effect of the deficit.

Souggy has a good point. In the meantime, relay services are not being cut off completely (if at all), so there's no need for panic just yet. They may have to cut back on services and volume, (i.e. number of operators, etc. if they feel they're spending more than they're being reimbursed by the FCC), but relay services will not likely die out anytime soon.

#1...STFU about Obama. He didn't do this, FCC did.

#2...almost nobody has a TTY anymore. My old one died. I can't afford another one. They go for about $700, too expensive. It is not fair that we have to pay $700 for a "phone" just to talk to other people, if hearing people only have to pay $30 for their phone. That's not fair. Besides, we would be more likely to be hung up on if we still used TTYs and old fashioned relay. Sorenson VP-200 is the best thing that has ever happened since sliced bread, seriously.

Stop spewing crap. Doesn't your hands and fingers ever smell nasty to you?
In South Carolina (and other states), TTY equipment is provided for free by state agencies.

sorenson is telling me that FCC is going to kill them and many other businesses soon, because of possibly adopted policy....... STOP FCC! I use VP 200 myself and i never want to go back to tty again cause another provider picks up my calls and charges me 3$ a minute on my TTY.

Welcome back to AD. :)

I'm former Pacman/TrippLA if you remember me in 4 years ago.

yes i do hello.....i hope the FCC shuts up
cause i wrote a comment that reads: I use VP 200 and it really helps me out better than the old TTY. I think FCC needs to add a fair policy cause deaf people need fairness and all .....i rely on VRS services and they have saved my life be4 so why drop them or lower rates....its unfair and its time to understand that deaf need equal understanding to everything...otherwise deaf people like me and my deaf friends are considered terrorists cause we cant hear. Fix the way community help is and keep deaf vrs services where they are.

This has better make FCC take an idea that they cant break the ADA Law without breaking us with implanting us with CIs (no offenses to those with them) cause it wont help every single one of us.

It's B.S.

FCC is NOT going to close VRS companies. SVRS is bullshitting, it wants to get MORE money for itself. It's that simple. It's pure greed.

It has NOTHING to do with tax cuts. We pay "tax" for relay when we pay phone bills. Don't you see that line?!?! It's how VRS get money. Millions of us pay phone bills and that includes paying for relay services.

When you go to wholesale store, you always get MORE for LESS. That's the way it is. A gallon of milk is always cheaper than half gallon of milk, even though half gallon may be cheaper at first but when you calculate the cost of milk per ounce, you pay MUCH less for more milk. So, why should SVRS, the biggest VRS with so many minutes, should get MORE money?

Because of what SVRS is doing with its fear tactics, I will no longer use SVRS. It doesn't deserve my business at all.

It's B.S.

FCC is NOT going to close VRS companies. SVRS is bullshitting, it wants to get MORE money for itself. It's that simple. It's pure greed.

It has NOTHING to do with tax cuts. We pay "tax" for relay when we pay phone bills. Don't you see that line?!?! It's how VRS get money. Millions of us pay phone bills and that includes paying for relay services.

When you go to wholesale store, you always get MORE for LESS. That's the way it is. A gallon of milk is always cheaper than half gallon of milk, even though half gallon may be cheaper at first but when you calculate the cost of milk per ounce, you pay MUCH less for more milk. So, why should SVRS, the biggest VRS with so many minutes, should get MORE money?

Because of what SVRS is doing with its fear tactics, I will no longer use SVRS. It doesn't deserve my business at all.

Thats your opinion and its actually more expensive for a gallon as it half a gallon of milk here.... yeah i am saying like 3.49 + for a gallon and 2.69 for a half. Many of us have accustomed to VP 200 and VRS and if we like the service then we will fight to bbe sure its still the way it is.... and remind me to tell relay companies that their fear tactic is making you think they are rhetoric.....and nothing like this is BS just ask any deaf that loves their VP-200.

Making a lot of accusations here. Care to provide some kind of links or news articles? A "Joe Schmoe" V-log is not gonna convince me.

I saw no reason NOT to email the FCC on this. I feel it shows the people affected by VRS service. BTW, I do not have a love affair with any relay company. I just enjoy the services.

Not only Sorenson. It goes for Convo too! ConvoRelay is worry the same thing! You guys think about it.

I spoke with my mother's father who work for account office. He was figure it out with budget, he was like geez. That rate will cause all VRS GONE out of buiness! Wanna proof, i can give you phone number and call my grandpa!

Not only Sorenson. It goes for Convo too! ConvoRelay is worry the same thing! You guys think about it.

I spoke with my mother's father who work for account office. He was figure it out with budget, he was like geez. That rate will cause all VRS GONE out of buiness! Wanna proof, i can give you phone number and call my grandpa!

Please share that proof with us and Deaf people need see that!

EXACTLY WHAT IMMA TALKIN ABOUT! *excuse for my lock cap* but i have to since Sorenson/Crovo and these deafs are being very exaggerated and greedy, of course... thats why Im on FCC's side. :] VRS dont need that too much money for themselves, we need these taxes to pay off debit and such to help us improvising the economic, at least...

Sorengreedson needs to grow up, just saying.

EXACTLY WHAT IMMA TALKIN ABOUT! *excuse for my lock cap* but i have to since Sorenson/Crovo and these deafs are being very exaggerated and greedy, of course... thats why Im on FCC's side. :] VRS dont need that too much money for themselves, we need these taxes to pay off debit and such to help us improvising the economic, at least...

Sorengreedson needs to grow up, just saying.

I guess you are very excited to see deaf workers LOST their JOB! How shame of you.

Back