Father Confused on Coclear Implant Decision

Lucia and kayla123, I appreciate the help you're giving. I'm currently on what's called Medi-Cal, which is a similar version of Medicaid in California, with slightly different rules. I will check into it, in the meantime.

Kayla123, don't worry about sounding dumb. I didn't even know there was a large deaf community / deaf culture until I was 18 years old, even though I'm 100% deaf. I've had many hardships growing up in the hearing world and my only close friends were from offshore (Europe, Africa, and South America), and I realize it's a cultural thing, so I try to remain evenhanded towards both deaf and hearing people, realizing that it's often ignorance / prejudices that causes problems, and it's not necessarily the person's fault.

I'm glad you're helping your deaf daughter. Please get back with me as soon as you have found out more information. Thanks.

I never new that I would be facing a decision that seems to be a total crap shoot.

I remember starting my first reply to you telling you my perspective - A very Happy CI Patent so please keep that in mind.

To answer your question to me yes I did try a hearing aid and used it faithfully for 18 months until my CI was activated. The aid was of very little use to me from the point of understanding speech, but it did give me sound and having grown up (well growing older, like I said my wife does not believe I ever grew up) hearing I was willing to do ANYTHING to have some sound even if I could not understand most of it. None of this is really relevant to your son as he is developing without hearing (or reduced ability to hear) so that is his norm, he will adapt and thrive to the best of his ability and your guidance and support will only enhance and improve that development.

My situation and experience really cannot compare to Ivan's situation and as I think I said in my first post I am not qualified to "Recommend" any treatment only my experience and opinion.

I can sense your frustration and reluctance and wish I could offer more but I can't. I would point out that (as I did in my first post) CI surgery is well established and the success rates are extremely good. I would hardly call it a crap shoot, there is risk with any invasive procedure, but this is not one of the higher risk procedures.

You have questions about studies on early vs late implantation, you are correct there are no real Long Term studies yet (at least as far as I know) but everything I have read to date is consistent in finding that children implanted earlier develop language faster. I know everyone can quote a case where this is true or not true, but I will not do that. I am referring to case studies (some ongoing) and the study findings seem to be consistent. I would suggest you consider looking at the Cochlear, Advanced Bionics's, and Med El, web sites, they all publish study findings which support early implantation, then check sites such as PUB MED and look at their studies ( Pub Med publish many Independent studies not funded by Manufacturers or Drug companies) and compare all the sources. That should give you a good basis to understand the Early vs Late (or wait) positions. I have many of these studies, saved and bookmarked on my home computer and if you have problems finding what you want let me know I will point you in the right direction to find many.

Having said all of the above my only other point would be, your decision is not just to implant or not, it is more about what you want for Ivan in terms of his future opportunities. I do not want to debate Deaf vs deaf, vs Hard of hearing vs hearing I am late deafened and my situation is so different. If you feel Ivan will develop and thrive without a CI and achieve his potential with diminished hearing and primarly Visual language as opposed to spoken language then that eliminates the need to decide on a CI. I believe there are more opportunities in the mainstream, but the Deaf community is very close and supportive and there plenty of opportunity in that life style (if that is the right term?).

I do want to congratulate, and encourage you in developing visual language skills for Ivan and your family, it is a fabulous skill and truly a beautiful language, you will all benefit from that knowledge and skill.

I wish you the best with your decision, we all know it is not easy making such a life changing choice for a child. You are doing everything you can so I guess in closing all I can say "Go with your gut" and remember WHY you are doing all of this - For IVAN - he does not know it now, but someday regardless of what you decide he will know you always did it in his best interest and out of Love for him!

Regards,
Mike "Ears Hopin" P.

Teaching Ivan to Read

Cloggy,

Also we are a reading family. Ivan's older brother loves books. Every night we must read three and he is learning how to read and loves to read along.

Ivan we read books however due to the fact that he can not hear as much he seems to rush through the books, only looking at the pictures.

This whole situation is so hard to cope with. How to teach reading skills to a deaf child. Each letter represents a sound for gosh sakes will it ever make sense to him.

Ivan just ran out of his room (he should be sleeping) I let him sit beside me and I typed big words into the computer and then made the sign for each one. He was really paying attention!

I had to point out something more when I read this post, you have just discovered a wonderful tool, if Ivan likes to pay attention to you on the computer and you have success with teaching him words (and even single letters) then signing each one KEEP IT UP! you might even try getting one of HIS books and typing the words from each sentence on the screen and signing it out showing him they are the same by comparing the screen to the book.

I used a simular method when I lost my ability to understand my wife's voice, she would type messages on the computer screen and I would read over her shoulder (she hates that but it worked). You can imagine how difficult it was for me suffereing a sudden loss of my hearing, but keep in mind Ivan has no emmotional baggage to carry around and you are obvously doing everything you can to help him. He has not lost anything, he did not have it so you are creating his normal expectations and IMHO doing a darn fine job of it from what I see in your posts. Ivan is a lucky little man!

Regards,
Mike "Ears Hopin" P.

Back