facial expressions making you anti social?

pixiestix

Reaction score
HAHAHHAHAHAHA I'm laughing. My neice thinks I'm anti-social because I make faces at people.. I told her I'm sorry but it is part of being deaf and its communication. It is just like having a tone of voice from a hearing person, ya know?

How do I explain this to her? I am telling her that she has zero, zilch, nada, zip knowledge about deaf culture and that is just part of being deaf!! UGH!

Thanks so much in advance for your responses!

You live far from your niece and she is not used to you?

I am by nature expressive. Being around Deaf people and using ASL only makes this trait more pronounced. Plus I often SimCom, and when this irritates a hearie I tend to do it even more.

Even without ASL I tend to mime what I am talking about. I love Gil Eastman's "From Mime to Sign". Great book.

Hearies make things extremely difficult on themselves when describing things. They will use a thousand words when a few gestures will convey the message better. Why they pride themselves on limiting their communication skills to words and tone of voice when they have the tools of face, hand, and body, to communicate so much more fully is beyond me.

I get everything from "You don't have to demonstrate everything you say" to "Nobody here is deaf" all the way to "Do you always have to act like an F'ing idiot?"

Well, I tried to act like an Un F'ing idiot once, but then I discovered girls.

Hearies make things extremely difficult on themselves when describing things. They will use a thousand words when a few gestures will convey the message better. Why they pride themselves on limiting their communication skills to words and tone of voice when they have the tools of face, hand, and body, to communicate so much more fully is beyond me.
I was like that, finding more words and more words to describe things. Now I'm finding myself using actions, gestures more and somehow NOT being able to find the words for it. I can find the sign for a word (ASL studied for 3 semesters) but not the word in French (a language I've been studying for 11 YEARS...) Ironic. But it makes me smile. :D

Well, I tried to act like an Un F'ing idiot once, but then I discovered girls.
:laugh2:

it's a basic thing in any language , making the faces has nothing to do with culture but with communicating, a different expression can change more then one sign .

She's 24, Ms. Know it all and thinks she can play a therapist on me because she took classes in pyschology! Whatever...

Groan.....Psychology students.... the first semester many find they have every described malady, second semester analysts... by the third semester many begin to do better as they drop the rose colored glasses and develop a better bull detector.

Too bad she did not study sociology, she could find out how wrong she is. lol

Maybe she will do better next term or will study some deaf culture, lets hope.

well, why don't you tell her about deaf culture? :)

Judging to OP's first post (Quoted below) I don't think she is receptive, which is a problem I sympathize with as I know a person with a deaf relative who refuses to believe there is a Deaf Culture, telling me, "Hell, she is as American as you or I for crying out loud."

HAHAHHAHAHAHA I'm laughing. My neice thinks I'm anti-social because I make faces at people.. I told her I'm sorry but it is part of being deaf and its communication. It is just like having a tone of voice from a hearing person, ya know?

How do I explain this to her? I am telling her that she has zero, zilch, nada, zip knowledge about deaf culture and that is just part of being deaf!! UGH!

Thanks so much in advance for your responses!

I am a hearie and we use a lot of expressions when we are speaking to each other. When someone is in the middle of a sentence and I disagree strongly to what they are saying, I make a face at them... it is like underlying dialogue. You can speak volumes with a raised eyebrow... Sounds like she is talking out her ass. Tell her to spend a few minutes on this site. I learned a LOT. And I am grateful to all of you for educating me.

Back