Extreme Home Makeover: Transforming the house of a Deaf couple with children

T

Toonces

An Extreme Humanitarian Act

HITEC Group International, Burr Ridge, Ill, a distributor of assistive listening devices, was recently asked to be part of ABC-TV's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (EMHE) team for a special show that will air on October 24, 2004.

In the episode, the EMHE team will take 7 days to transform the home of a Detroit couple who are deaf and the parents of two children, a 12-year-old blind/autistic son, and a 14-year-old son, who has learned at a very young age to communicate for and take care of his parents and brother. As the 14-year-old prepares to enter high school and then move to college, he has concerns about his family and their ability to communicate over the phone, since their primary method of communication is American Sign Language (they do not communicate verbally).

For this episode, the mission of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and that of the team they assembled was to give this family every high-tech communication and safety solution that is available to individuals who live with hearing loss.

According to Michele Ahlman, vice president of HITEC and president of ClearSounds (the manufacturer of HITEC's new signature line of ALD products), "This project presents us with a great opportunity to use our knowledge and expertise and to find innovative ways in which to deal with this family's special needs in order to make a difference in their life. We are proud to offer our unique product solutions, designed to make their everyday living much easier, safer, and more enjoyable, as well as to enable them to be more connected to and involved with the outside world."

Ahlman continues, "HITEC's tech team includes such high-profile names in communication as SBC Communications Inc, NXI, and MCI, which recognize the importance that technology plays in the lives of people with special needs. Our plan is to create a unique system that will allow the parents to communicate with each other using sign language, even when they are in different rooms. In addition, this system will enable them to communicate with friends and family outside the home. We will install a communications system with video capability, which will allow the family to make high-speed, real-time (TTY) phone calls using their natural ASL language; in addition, the universal design will allow their 14-year-old son to use the computers to do homework and surf the Net. Our tech team will also install a variety of signaling devices for the convenience and safety of the family."

.....Kewl! I'm gotta watch this episode on Oct. 24th! :thumb:

I'm getting a fixer upper house within 6 months and I'm sure It'll need an extreme makeover too.

Richard Roehm

I am so gonna watch it. I love that show!

I am thinking about putting my mom on extreme makeover. Get her new look. :)

I just was told that the show will be aired on November 7th instead, from a close friend of the deaf family.

Meg said:
I just was told that the show will be aired on November 7th instead, from a close friend of the deaf family.
Yes, I got that info too.

So it's gonna be aired on Nov. 7th instead? :confused:

Hmm...well, I'll watch the show next month then. ^^

Toonces said:
So it's gonna be aired on Nov. 7th instead? :confused:

Hmm...well, I'll watch the show next month then. ^^

If I was you, I would watch it on Oct. 24th to MAKE SURE that it is not showing on TV, but if it won't show then watch it on Nov. 7th. Because we will never know that we will miss it if it is on Oct. 24th :D

BabyAngel said:
If I was you, I would watch it on Oct. 24th to MAKE SURE that it is not showing on TV, but if it won't show then watch it on Nov. 7th. Because we will never know that we will miss it if it is on Oct. 24th :D

yeah me too Extreme Home Makeover is one of my favorite tv show :thumb:

I rather double check anyway and I have checked that on their official home page

http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/

it say they are revamp a house in california tomorrow night (oct 24) so dont look like they are gonna do that michigan family tomorrow night.

Boy, I thought that I missed this event!! Thank God it's not Sunday yet! LOL...well, actually....it is because of the time LOL.

I agree that you should watch this Sunday just in case it is that Sunday.

I watched yesterday's show and.... :doh:....I see that the episode about the deaf family in Detriot will definitely be aired on Nov. 7th.

Okaaay....I'm putting up a reminder for myself to watch it on that day, lol.

I see that the episode about the deaf family in Detriot

They are not from Detroit but they live in Oak Park which is not far from here. I live about 30 mins away from their brandnew designed home.

eternity said:
They are not from Detroit but they live in Oak Park which is not far from here. I live about 30 mins away from their brandnew designed home.
Can you drive over there and look at it? I mean, the outside of the house.

Reba said:
Can you drive over there and look at it? I mean, the outside of the house.

*gasp*
really.gif
you are giving her a bad influence being stalker.
idontwanna.gif

Sabrina said:
*gasp*
really.gif
you are giving her a bad influence being stalker.
idontwanna.gif
How is that stalking? Stalking means to trail a person for the intention of harressment or endangerment. The house was shown on TV to the general public with thousands of people standing around. I don't think they expect that to stay private. When someone volunteers their life story and house for a TV program, they know that people will want to see it.

I don't mean for her to ring their doorbell, or park in front of the house all night with night vision binoculars. I just thought it would be neat to see if the house looks the same in reality with the way it looks on TV.

Just to let you know, on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is a replaying of the Vardon family this evening (January 2).

Hope this helps.

Sarah

I just watched that episode tonight (my first time)! :) It is soooo good! :)

Back