Experiences of University

ems

Reaction score
Hi all,

what experiences have people had in mainstream universities?? so far i've seen on this forum experiences of school have been discussed but i havent seen much on experiences at university, either positive or negative?

great! :cool2:

I graduated from mainstream state college and then I got a career just a few months later.

Hi all,

what experiences have people had in mainstream universities?? so far i've seen on this forum experiences of school have been discussed but i havent seen much on experiences at university, either positive or negative?

As long as they have a deaf programs so the deaf students can understand better in the classrooms with ASL interpreters. Also they should provide good notetakers, even if we have CART that will make copies for the deaf students. I had attended two community colleges with deaf programs and it worked wonderful for me and love it very much. Lipreading suck big time. :ugh:

Hi all,

Mine has been positive when I was a grad student at Univ. of Idaho. I really enjoyed my time there. Really missed the university life as a busy grad student and meeting new people all the time. I enjoyed it more as a grad than I did as an undergrad. For me, I just attended classes like everybody else. No interpreting. No CART. Just me and my hearing aid.

I had the wonderful opportunity to experience both..

I went to Arizona State University as an undergrad..when I started, I didnt know ASL so I had oral terps and CART while taking ASL classes. As I became fluent enough in ASL and got tired of lipreading and reading the CART, I requested an ASL terp and boy, everything improved for me in the classroom. I also had hired notetakers which was ok because some students' had sloppy handwriting but better than nothing. I got along with my hearing peers at ASU. I loved the nightlife and the football games.

Then I went to grad school at Gallaudet University..by then I had accepted myself as a deaf person rather than a broken hearing person. I was flooooorrrred with how much access I had to everything in the classroom. It changed my life for the better. I was a mom by then so I didnt do much of the partying thing but I met so many people who became life-long friends. I graduated 8 years ago and several of them are still my good friends while my friends at ASU have lost touch with me.

I was happy to get to experience both. I dont have any complaints.

That's the problem, RR, when comes to assumptions.

*shrugs*

That's the problem, RR, when comes to assumptions.

*shrugs*

Ahhh...sorry koko...I didn't mean anything by that...Jiro just cracks me up sometimes!...Feel sure he was just joking too! Ur an awesome guy, very intelligent too.

I'll remember to be more sensitive next time.

Ahhh...sorry koko...I didn't mean anything by that...Jiro just cracks me up sometimes!...Feel sure he was just joking too! Ur an awesome guy, very intelligent too.

108h9q9.gif

just joking. just joking.

I attended Columbus State Community college for three quarters (part time) this year. I think with mainstream it really depends on the student. I have an oral/aural background and only learned ASL five years ago (still learning). I felt my interpreters were very competent and skilled. For someone with limited English though? I don't know about the interpreters' ASL skills - I use PSE.

Back