Ex-priest off to prison with a grin

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Former priest Gary Mercure smiles after he is sentenced to 20 to 25 years for the rape of two altar boys in the 1980s

PITTSFIELD, Mass. -- Former priest Gary Mercure had nothing to say and only smiled Wednesday after a Berkshire County judge sentenced him to more than two decades behind bars for raping two altar boys in the 1980s.

"You are no more than a common thug," Berkshire County Judge John A. Agostini told Mercure, 62, before sentencing him to 20 to 25 years in prison on three counts of forcible rape. Mercure also was sentenced to three to five years, to be served concurrently, on one count of indecent assault and battery on a child under age 14.

"My memories are dark and destroyed. My trust in humanity has been severely harmed. I will never shed the disgust and filthiness," one of the victims told Mercure during a victim impact statement read in court by First Assistant District Attorney Paul Caccaviello.

Mercure, in handcuffs and leg irons, sat looking straight ahead as victim impact statements were delivered to a packed courtroom. The victims and their friends and families took up nearly half the court's seats.

Mercure's other victim said, "I hope the dark cloud may finally be lifted from me so I can live a normal life."

The man's father called the victims heroes for coming forward. His statement was read to the court.

"If you were a dog, I'd take you outside and shoot you," the father said about Mercure.

A former Catholic priest with a long history of sexually assaulting young altar boys, Mercure was found guilty Feb. 10 of bringing two boys to the Berkshires in the 1980s and raping them. He will serve his sentence at Cedar Junction prison in Walpole, Mass.

During a poignant moment Wednesday, the mother of one of Mercure's victims turned to face her grown son and apologized for failing to discover the abuse.

"I am so sorry I did not recognize your abuse until it was too late," she said.

The woman had testified that she found five pairs of her son's bloodied underwear stuffed inside a wall in his bedroom. The victim said he hid the underwear after Mercure raped him when he was about 11 or 12 years old.

In court Wednesday, victims could be heard sobbing as the mother pleaded with her son to forgive her.

"Father Gary, it is time for you to have remorse and apologize to your victims," she said.

As he did after his conviction, Mercure smiled broadly when he stood up and turned to face the crowd in court as he was led away.

A few hours before the sentencing, Albany Bishop Howard Hubbard announced he is asking the Vatican to defrock Mercure.

"Now that a conviction has been rendered by the jury in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I will be forwarding to the Vatican, specifically to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the matter of the sexual abuse of minors by Gary Mercure," Hubbard wrote in a statement issued by the diocese.

"I am recommending to the Vatican, through the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, that Gary Mercure, already permanently removed in 2008 from all ministry in the church and forbidden to present himself as a priest in any way whatsoever, now be dismissed formally from the clerical state."

Mercure last served in Sacred Heart and St. William parishes in Troy before he was suspended from the ministry amid child rape accusations in January 2008.

Caccaviello told jurors during the trial that Mercure used a variety of threats to keep the boys from telling their families or authorities. "To a young boy, his threats were like a knife to their throats," Caccaviello said.

Several jurors cried while listening to five victims' disturbing and emotional testimony during the trial. All were former altar boys at Our Lady of the Annunciation Parish in Queensbury.

The statute of limitations to charge Mercure in New York had expired, but was still in effect in Massachusetts.

The victims said in some cases the abuse started when they were 8 and continued until they were 15 or 16. One victim said Mercure sexually assaulted him multiple times in one day. The attacks occurred in the rectory after Mass, in the altar boys' dressing room in the church, after Mercure gave the boys wine, in the back seat of the priest's car, and in their homes. A couple of victims said Mercure attacked them while their parents were occupied in another room.

One victim testified that Mercure had him close his eyes and pray as a way to relax him while he was sexually abused.

Mercure's lawyer, Michael O. Jennings, had asked the judge for a sentence of eight years. He suggested during trial that the two accusers conspired with advocates for victims of sex abuse by priests and made up their assertion that Mercure attacked them in Massachusetts as well as New York.

Jennings has said Mercure will appeal the conviction.

Mercure's two Berkshire County victims testified they were abused in separate incidents in the parking lot at the former Brodie Mountain ski area and in the parking lot of an Appalachian trail head in 1986 and 1989.

The three other New York victims said they never traveled to Massachusetts with the priest.

The diocese does not pay Mercure but he gets pension payments for his 34 years as a priest. He is not provided housing by the church and no diocesan funds went to his defense, diocese spokesman Ken Goldfarb said.

Goldfarb said the church first heard about Mercure's sexual activities in 1994 when a Queensbury man came forward, saying he was in an adult sexual relationship with Mercure.

"Mercure was disciplined at that time,'' Goldfarb said.

Mark Lyman, Capital Region director of SNAP -- Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests -- alleged that the diocese knew for years about Mercure's activities but moved him from church to church to cover it up.

Goldfarb has said those allegations are false and Mercure was not moved anymore than is typical for the priesthood.

Ex-priest off to prison with a grin - Times Union

Ugh, that Mercure is disgusting!

I'm glad that he's convicted and sentenced but it's waaaay overdue. :mad:

Ugh, that Mercure is disgusting!

I'm glad that he's convicted and sentenced but it's waaaay overdue. :mad:

Agreed. I don't think there's anything more damaging to one's faith than to suffer abuse at the hands of those who work in the faith.

wow,great, we keep seeing news like this popping up everywhere and I find it's usually the Roman Catholic priests doing the abuse? News like this seem to give the Papacy and Roman Catholics a bad name =/

It's not only the Catholic Church. Other churches, teachers, coaches, boys scout leaders, trusted "family friends" and relatives, etc. It's a societal problem that doesn't discriminate.

It's not only the Catholic Church. Other churches, teachers, coaches, boys scout leaders, trusted "family friends" and relatives, etc. It's a societal problem that doesn't discriminate.

Exactly. Unfortunately, when it is a religious organization it makes better news, so those are the cases everyone hears about. To be honest, more abuse occurs at the hands of relatives or close friends of the family than by those in charge of organizations that have children as members. People get the wrong idea and forget to keep a close watch on those that are close to the family, always looking to leaders of children's organizations.

True that most perpetrators are relatives or close friends. Unfortunately, some pedophiles seek out positions of trust with children for their own purposes. That can be in an organization or as a friend of the family. If a man wants to spend time alone with your child, be wary. There's no reason for a man to be alone with your kid. I use the "everyone's a pervert" strategy.

True that most perpetrators are relatives or close friends. Unfortunately, some pedophiles seek out positions of trust with children for their own purposes. That can be in an organization or as a friend of the family. If a man wants to spend time alone with your child, be wary. There's no reason for a man to be alone with your kid. I use the "everyone's a pervert" strategy.

Absolutely.

Forgot to mention that some women are perpetrators, too. Just less common. Women are more likely to assault a child than sexually abuse them.

Forgot to mention that some women are perpetrators, too. Just less common. Women are more likely to assault a child than sexually abuse them.

This is quite true, as well. And when sexual abuse occurs with a female perpetrator, it is generally with an adolescent, and the result of a personality disorder in the offender.

law is very strict to serious horrible that is not joke!

When it is a female perpetrator with an adolescent male, it is usually underreported believing the male instigated it or that the male can 'handle himself'. This actually happened rather openly at my high school. A senior football player was openly dating a faculty member. Instead of firing the faculty member, they chose to allow her to remain at the school with no report to authorities but at the end of the year, her contract was not renewed for obvious reasons. They had one child together but the faculty member eventually went to prison on drug charges 4 or 5 years later. I believe she has been released and the boy is divorced from her and has custody of their son. It was a :dizzy: situation.

While all perpetrators should be punished, it is the Catholic Church that is the real problem. Rome knows of these priest and just moves them around to where they continue to rape. Getting the truth out of the Catholic Church is much worst than pulling teeth. Everyone knows the Church is guilty but, for the life of me, why do people continue to attend????

While all perpetrators should be punished, it is the Catholic Church that is the real problem. Rome knows of these priest and just moves them around to where they continue to rape. Getting the truth out of the Catholic Church is much worst than pulling teeth. Everyone knows the Church is guilty but, for the life of me, why do people continue to attend????

Because people are still searching for God. On top of that there are people that will stand by their church/faith no matter what people inside have done.

Good luck and happy hunting to anyone trying to find god in the Catholic Church. One is more sure to see an Unicorn inside the churches but not god.

Back