EVIDENCE of being deaf with Hearing Aid device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweetmind said:
I DISAGREE with this comment. You need to open your eyes. One of my friend who used orally speaking that she ordered.. She did not getting what she wants. I just pointed my finger on the picture that MC Donald has the demo chart. I got everything what I want. It saves my trouble than using orally speaking because some hearing people panicked with d/Deaf people as far as I witnessed that all the time. I had to laugh because they are the one who couldnt handle with d/Deaf people. or I ll say please listen to me then I spoke it out whatever I want to order. It works for me.

Remember you are stereotyping deaf with other deaf. You can see things differently and I'm seeing things differently here. Deaf people in here has NO exposure to the deaf culture, not knowing how they can handle the communication issues. I do agree that there are some deaf people out there that CAN handle by themselves, but that is within minority of deaf population that you see out there. I also agree that deaf people in "clustered" approximity of deaf people tend to have more feedback than those who are "isolated" out there. There are more "isolated" deaf population than what you might think. They are dispersed amongst the land, "behind the closet" thing and most are not aware of others, or are aware of "proper conduct" that normal deaf culture establish for living.

What you see is what you saw, What *I* see is what I SAW. The same is true with hearing people, they DO vary.

Sweetmind said:
Also you need to read what I gave the url about ASL educational in other pages in this topic. ;) Asl is having a lot of usages in our life. There is always other way around to communicate with hearing people who is willing to open up with us. Thats why I was impressed a Deaf person with ASL who can communicate with them while I couldnt do it at that time in the past. People do not realize that they did use ASL as body language or facial expression in anywhere place or watch it from TV that you will notice it if you pay more attention.

Look here, I, too, USE ASL and am IMPRESSED by it. Linking ASL to education is *ALWAYS* debatable and turned into moot. Look, I was RIT student, socialized like crazy in deaf parties, discussion groups and attend Gallaudet every year for various reasons, I'm COMPLETELY exposed to deaf community, so I've BEEN paying close attention to the DEAF culture, NOT on TV because people tend to become more controlled when in FRONT of TV.

Sweetmind said:
If you really understand ASL itself more deeply then you will change your mind about what you just had said it recently.

I'm ASL user by heart, change what mind about it? I'm also for "Deaf Pride" as well. REMEMBER, there is NOT one spice of Deaf Culture -- There are SOOOO many seasons out there that you can use to spice up your life. Hearing people are the same way -- preppy, bum, red neck, conservative, liberals, hilly billy, low life scums, rich bitches, friendly rich people and so on, they ALL talk DIFFERENTLY!

Sweetmind said:
Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Thank you too!

Scott

gnulinuxman said:
True, so why do so many people say deaf children can't learn both English and ASL very well? :dunno: Why educate these children in English only if their best time for learning both is childhood?

PS: Yes, I realize I am not like most people, and I do plan on learning more languages.

I'm not sure of the reason behind one language only at an early age, perhaps if you talked to someone who does ST for early implanted children you could find out the answer. I know it's possible for toddlers and pre school age children to learn both with ease, since my co workers daughter switches between english and spanish quite easily and she just turned 4.

Perhaps the big problem is the child needs a good grounding in just 1 language first as someone already mentioned? I do know my co worker had to contact the school to see if they had some type of program that could help her daughters language skills since the child was so comfortable with both that she mixed them together and basically was hard to understand. She wasn't getting the concept of speaking using only one language at a time. It could be one reason for the delay in introducing so sort of visual language/cues for children with CI learning spoken language. Not a very good reason really but the only thing I can come up with.

jag said:
I'm not sure of the reason behind one language only at an early age, perhaps if you talked to someone who does ST for early implanted children you could find out the answer. I know it's possible for toddlers and pre school age children to learn both with ease, since my co workers daughter switches between english and spanish quite easily and she just turned 4.

Perhaps the big problem is the child needs a good grounding in just 1 language first as someone already mentioned? I do know my co worker had to contact the school to see if they had some type of program that could help her daughters language skills since the child was so comfortable with both that she mixed them together and basically was hard to understand. She wasn't getting the concept of speaking using only one language at a time. It could be one reason for the delay in introducing so sort of visual language/cues for children with CI learning spoken language. Not a very good reason really but the only thing I can come up with.
Yeah I have seen (and posted a link to that) research that whichever a child learn a language earlier can learn 2nd language later on. So it does not matter which language, spoken or signed.

Boult said:
Yeah I have seen (and posted a link to that) research that whichever a child learn a language earlier can learn 2nd language later on. So it does not matter which language, spoken or signed.

Interesting approach. Usage of language to a certain need, whether it be educational, social or whatever it might be.

LinuxGold said:
Interesting approach. Usage of language to a certain need, whether it be educational, social or whatever it might be.
The research was done at RIT/NTID I think.. let me find that link in AD
**scratch that***

I was wrong about the location but here's the link;

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27911

(need a code to make a "strike" ) like [st]blah[/st] for example to put line right on the word. not "underline"
bummer.

Boult said:
The research was done at RIT/NTID I think.. let me find that link in AD
**scratch that***

I was wrong about the location but here's the link;

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27911

(need a code to make a "strike" ) like [st]blah[/st] for example to put line right on the word. not "underline"
bummer.

Hmm... not only ASL, PSE or CI. Anything will do. hmm... I guess reading books and writing will help with education, not only with spoken language (ASL).

Oh well, works for my life and few others.

volcomskatz said:
Well, I can hear so well with HA on left ear, but right ear is used good until got implanted.
I'm confused.
It sounds as if you can hear well with the HA and that your right ear got implanted.
When you hearn well, you're not a candidate for CI. And if you were, they wouldn't implant the good ear when your HA is on the other.

Again, you need to clarify this..

Are you wearing HA's, do you have CI?

Cloggy said:
I'm confused.
It sounds as if you can hear well with the HA and that your right ear got implanted.
When you hearn well, you're not a candidate for CI. And if you were, they wouldn't implant the good ear when your HA is on the other.

Wasn't he originally TripplA (I know I spelled that wrong) and he had said something about going through some kind of catscan or mri without removing something and the CI got ruined? I know I've read something like that in one of the threads a while back. :dunno:
Volcumskatz (again I am sure I spelled it wrong too) -- is that right?

Cloggy said:
I'm confused.

what he was trying to say is that currently he has HA now in his left ear. and has a damaged ci in his right rear (remember?) before that CI it was a good ear for HA till used it for CI.

greema said:
Wasn't he originally TripplA (I know I spelled that wrong) and he had said something about going through some kind of catscan or mri without removing something and the CI got ruined? I know I've read something like that in one of the threads a while back. :dunno:
Volcumskatz (again I am sure I spelled it wrong too) -- is that right?
Don't think so. Same signature but at times different grammar.

Cloggy said:

I have explain again...

1) Before get CI on right ear, I used hear so well with HA in right ear then it wasn't work after got CI.

2) My left ear is no CI then I can hear so well with HA.

Cloggy said:
greema is correct. TrippLA is now volcumskatz. He was the one who told his story about how his CI got ruined while he was getting his MRI.

Last edited:
ButterflyGirl said:
greema is correct. TrippLA is now volcumskatz. He was the one who told his story about how his CI got ruined while he was getting his MRI.
Yeh, remember him... explains the signature.
Didn't know you could just change the name... confusing..

volcomskatz said:
I have explain again...

1) Before get CI on right ear, I used hear so well with HA in right ear then it wasn't work after got CI.

2) My left ear is no CI then I can hear so well with HA.

While I heard ok with HA's I had to get the insurance to approve based on hearing reception above their threshold. They usually do not place a ci in the better ear, so mine was placed in the left.

Since there is a criteria of hearing less then 60% on the HINT tests where were you on that? I actually thought a 60% level was fairly inadequet, and for me noise made hearing speech impossible in noise, dropped to 11%, the HA's do amplyfy alot and my brain had problems suppressing what I didn't want to hear.

So you've explained that you got a CI while HA's were working. How old were you and why did you got through the surgery if you were old enough to decide that HA was helping you hear enough? Just curious so you don't have to answer if you choose not to.

Since I've used both my short experience with the CI is the clarity issue of speech and the noise suppression technology to help suppress excess noise is far superior to a HA. So I've been wondering what it was about the CI that you didn't like? I am aware that everyone has different reactions to different medical procedures so was just wondering why you feel the CI wasn't the right thing for you?

Also were you not informed that an implant would/could damage the residule hearing? The new freedom is designed to hopefully preserve hearing, plus when removeing the device they do try to not do further damage, I can still hear sounds in my implanted ear, even some speech if it's spoken right into the ear and loudly. :)

Volcomskatz,
it's take it or leave advice.

If i were you, since HA does not work anymore on you implanted ear, I would try to get new CI and keep HA on the other ear.
You will always be culturally deaf, signing with or without CI.
But having new CI would help you in hearing enviroment- store, bus, restaurant etc.

Fuzzy

jag said:
While I heard ok with HA's I had to get the insurance to approve based on hearing reception above their threshold. They usually do not place a ci in the better ear, so mine was placed in the left.

Since there is a criteria of hearing less then 60% on the HINT tests where were you on that? I actually thought a 60% level was fairly inadequet, and for me noise made hearing speech impossible in noise, dropped to 11%, the HA's do amplyfy alot and my brain had problems suppressing what I didn't want to hear.

So you've explained that you got a CI while HA's were working. How old were you and why did you got through the surgery if you were old enough to decide that HA was helping you hear enough? Just curious so you don't have to answer if you choose not to.

Since I've used both my short experience with the CI is the clarity issue of speech and the noise suppression technology to help suppress excess noise is far superior to a HA. So I've been wondering what it was about the CI that you didn't like? I am aware that everyone has different reactions to different medical procedures so was just wondering why you feel the CI wasn't the right thing for you?

Also were you not informed that an implant would/could damage the residule hearing? The new freedom is designed to hopefully preserve hearing, plus when removeing the device they do try to not do further damage, I can still hear sounds in my implanted ear, even some speech if it's spoken right into the ear and loudly. :)

Well, I got CI in 1999 because my parent forced me to got CI for no reason and they believe that I would become hearing and start talking on oral language itself. My parent said gave words to use oral then I told them that I don't know how to use oral, CI is nothing to make me understand with speech but I believe CI seems almost as HA and HA has less noise than CI does. My parent was big gulped that I'm still deaf and CI isn't cure my deafness and they had no idea to fix it. Yea, I went to Hearing Center and took test with both of ears and one woman said that my right ear is permanent residule hearing loss and HA isn't work on right ear after got CI surgery because stings were conflict with cochlea. My CI is Nucleus 22 but haven't hear about Freedom, I just quit to wear CI when I was in 2002 before transfer to high school.

I like HA at overall and works on left ear is enough but I love to have low noise.

volcomskatz said:
........... because stings were conflict with cochlea.........
Stings are on the outside - skin level, cochlea is behind the middle ear, no stings are used in that area.....
I'm sure you mean something else..
Can you explain some more?

Cloggy said:
Stings are on the outside - skin level, cochlea is behind the middle ear, no stings are used in that area.....
I'm sure you mean something else..
Can you explain some more?

cicfigure1.jpg

I have said stings or tube that digs into cochlea.

cochlearimplant.jpg

Residule hearing has been damaged after implanted in one ear.

Cloggy, I hope you would like it. Snoopy is good show. :)
Snoopy.jpg

This thread is growing more CI infested but it seems awesome, also I don't care about Sweetmind's feeling.

volcomskatz said:
I have said stings or tube that digs into cochlea.
Residule hearing has been damaged after implanted in one ear.
I see, you mean the electrode! I thought you meant some problem with the stitches. :)

Yeh, residual hearing is lost when the electrode is inserted. (*)
But then, the reason for the CI would have been that there was hardly anything left.
(* most of the times - someone here can still hear with the imlanted ear)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back