Ever lose a hearing aid?

BradB08

Reaction score
I've lost at least 2 hearing aids in my life. If you're not paying attention to them, they disappear. Heh. I need to replace one and get my other one fixed.

I hate wearing hearing aids and never realized it much until now. I pretty much only wore them when I was younger because of my parents and because of the jobs I work. Nowadays, I feel like I don't even need them.

I remember when I was younger, another Deafie flushed one of my hearing aids down a toilet. My parents were really mad at him for it as well.

Have you ever lost a hearing aid?

No, thank God! They are far too expensive.

I didn't pay anything for the ones I have now. I feel bad about losing one of them though. I think I will save money up and buy a new one. I don't want to keep asking VR to pay if I can't hold onto hearing aids.

i left mine on the table once and fell asleep and my kitten took it and hid it somewhere...thank god i have the one year warranty cuz i couldn't find it (still haven't) and it was replaced for free by phonak.

Happen to the best of people..I always had my HA's on, and had lost them quite a lot of times..once I accidentaly showered with my HA on...forgot to remove them..aaaahhh my mum was so mad..

Another time I had threw at the water from the boat ( I was three to four at the time ) and my mum was chasing me around to wear a hat and I couldn't stand the things..still can't ..she invented on the fly that my HA needs to wear the hat or it would go bad...and I removed it and let it fall in the water..lol..I don't remember it , but it gets recounted a lot of time to my shame..but since then my mother decided to lose the battle with the hat...

another time it was munched by my dog....

lilitalia , you're lucky there...here don't have such flexible rules , and all these losses made a huge hole at my parents' financial accounts , along with other expenses..

I was known as soon i entered my Grandparents villa in sunny Menorca i would go straight into the swimming pool fully clothed and with HA still on! Silly little girl!

As far i remember i never lost my HA because i loved to listen.

My lovely dog many years ago made a nice snack of my HA. I guess I was around 11. Thank goodness it was just the cover and it was replaced.

I did dive into the pool with my right HA on. It took a few days for it to dry out, but no damage.

After all of this, I developed a system and always do the same placement of my HA/CI everyday. I developed a fear of damaging them. Now since I have to play to replace or repair I am very careful. My last hearing aids lasted 14 years without any damage.

From what my parents told me, when I was so young. I used to throw my hearing aids in gardens and toilet. The hearing aids that were lost in the gardens never got found. :giggle:

At least I did get free new hearing aids to replace the lost ones as government funds them. :)

From what my parents told me, when I was so young. I used to throw my hearing aids in gardens and toilet. The hearing aids that were lost in the gardens never got found. :giggle:

At least I did get free new hearing aids to replace the lost ones as government funds them. :)

Boy, does that sound familiar! My son used to take his off and throw them everywhere! I spent a lot of time crawling around on my hands and knees looking for the missing HA, until I started tying a piece of clear fishing line to the aid, then a safety pin to the other end of the fishing line. I would then pin them to the back of his shirt. If he took them off, he couldn't throw them, and they would just dangle on his back. I could hear the feedback, and know I needed to put them back on for him, or take them off and give him a break from sound. When he got a bit older, and I stopped pinning them to his shirt, he would hide them on purpose from time to time. When they tried to make him wear an FM system in k-3rd grade, he would take the batteries out and hide them from his teacher, then sign, "Broke.":giggle:

Boy, does that sound familiar! My son used to take his off and throw them everywhere! I spent a lot of time crawling around on my hands and knees looking for the missing HA, until I started tying a piece of clear fishing line to the aid, then a safety pin to the other end of the fishing line. I would then pin them to the back of his shirt. If he took them off, he couldn't throw them, and they would just dangle on his back. I could hear the feedback, and know I needed to put them back on for him, or take them off and give him a break from sound. When he got a bit older, and I stopped pinning them to his shirt, he would hide them on purpose from time to time. When they tried to make him wear an FM system in k-3rd grade, he would take the batteries out and hide them from his teacher, then sign, "Broke.":giggle:

:lol: Yep very familiar, but lucky my parents didn't thought of safety pin and fishing line idea. As for FM, I do it on purpose from time to time that I forgot to charge up the batteries. :lol:

:lol: Yep very familiar, but lucky my parents didn't thought of safety pin and fishing line idea. As for FM, I do it on purpose from time to time that I forgot to charge up the batteries. :lol:

Naughty girl!:giggle:

I do that sometimes..i dont charge my fm cuz sometimes i just want a break from all the talking...some of my teachers misuse the fm too and make horrible noises which hurt my ear...so ill say i forgot it or its not charged..meanwhile im listening to music via my smartlink but they don't know that:)

I've lost at least 2 hearing aids in my life. If you're not paying attention to them, they disappear. Heh. I need to replace one and get my other one fixed.

I hate wearing hearing aids and never realized it much until now. I pretty much only wore them when I was younger because of my parents and because of the jobs I work. Nowadays, I feel like I don't even need them.

I remember when I was younger, another Deafie flushed one of my hearing aids down a toilet. My parents were really mad at him for it as well.

Have you ever lost a hearing aid?

I did once. One hearing aid next to my purse on bus. How stupid of me!

one time i was on a theme park ride, the kind that has over-the-shoulder restraints, and left my $5000 BAHA on. obviously, anything that hits the side of my head causes the baha to go flying off, and it did when I was on the ride..! spent about 20 minutes running around the ride/amusement park looking for it, then gave up and reported it to lost and found. they phoned us like a week later saying they'd found it in a puddle, and it still works (though i stopped using it like 2 or 3 years ago).

:lol: @ jillio's son's cheekiness....

I used to hide my HAs so often that my family spent a lot time looking for it. :)
In the end, they put a soft form of tape on the inside of my HA and stick it to my skin in an effort to educate me not to get rid of it.

As for FM, my mother made a pocket for it and have the tie in the back where I cannot reach it to unfasten it. I have a pic somewhere.

No wonder, I hated FM to this day. Hehe

ive change 2hearing aids until nkow but i never lost cause they cost me alot of money idont waer them at home just when i get out but my mam is always mad from me cuse she think that wearing them all day will make my hearing get better i depened on reading lips most of the time

My family took a trip to San Diego one summer when I was a kid for a week. All was fine until we were halfway home to Phx after our trip ended when my mom asked me where were my HAs. My memory was vague but I remember my mom getting whoever was driving pull over to do a search in our luggage for it. We were out in the middle of nowhere in 110 degrees weather with our luggage all tossed about and unpacked. Turned out that I left my HAs at the beach house.

My brother just left his HAs at the beach house we were staying at last week.

Talk about deja vu!!!

I have, I lost it once...and I still can't find it. That was four years ago, I know I have put it somewhere in my old bedroom at my parents house (while I was living there) and when I moved out two years ago, It's still no where to be found. LOL

*shrugs* Oh well, I hated Hearing Aids anyway, so it didn't bother me at all that I lost it...but boy my parents were pissed. They told me that they won't buy me a new one...fine with me because honestly, I don't want one and I won't wear it.

CI works perfectly for me, so it's a no biggie...although I do wonder what happened to my hearing aid that's still can not be found.

Back