Evelyn Glennie to learn sign language at age of 42

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Evelyn Glennie to learn sign language at age of 42 - Times Online

DAME EVELYN GLENNIE, the world-famous Scots percussionist who was diagnosed as profoundly deaf as a child, has revealed that she is learning sign language at the age of 42.

Glennie previously refused to learn the technique, which she claimed ghettoised deaf people.

The Aberdeen-born musician, who lip-reads, had been criticised by some members of the deaf establishment for her reluctance to adopt this form of communication, which is used by 70,000 people in Britain.

Now, however, Glennie has revealed she had been curious about the technique and had started learning it with her office staff.

“I’ve only now thought about what sign language really means, what it is, and what I feel it can bring to my particular situation,” said Glennie.

“Like any language, it takes time and consistency and that’s our challenge at the moment because we don’t have consistent time.”

Last week, Glennie’s decision was praised by the deaf establishment.

“She’s not popular in the deaf community because she failed to learn sign language,” said Nicola Noon of the Scottish Council on Deafness. “People felt she had shunned the deaf community, but she will be congratulated for this.”

I heard about that! I too am learning ASL at a later age. I never got around to learning ASL as I did not go to a school for the deaf and while growing up because 99.9% of the time I am communicating with non-deaf people. I am learning ASL so it can be my third language (French is my second language). Kudos to Evelyn for changing her mind and understanding ASL does not "ghettoize" deaf people, but that it is a true second, third, or fourth language for people that do not use ASL as their main mode of communication.

I just want to make a comment on this quote, "She’s not popular in the deaf community because she failed to learn sign language,” said Nicola Noon of the Scottish Council on Deafness. “People felt she had shunned the deaf community, but she will be congratulated for this.”

Isn't that kind of the pot calling the kettle black? If the deaf community says they are being discriminated against by the hearing community for not speaking, then why do they discriminate against deaf people that do not use or learn sign language?

It's like that myth... "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." ;)

Must be a blow for the lip-reader as she is virtually the only real 'role model' they have besides Jack Ashley.... There is a war waged against lip-reading in the UK, we wish it would stop, funds are being withdrawn all over, as it isn't a 'Language' like sign, so what the hell ? it's communication we need....

I have always loved Evelyn Glennie, regardless of whether she used sign or not. She's an outstanding percussionist, and she has never denied her deafness. She just took a different road...

I think that evelyn should be congratulated for wanting to learn sign language because not many people at 42 want nor bother to learn another language, and just because she waited this long to learn ............ well thats her choice.

There is concern in the UK, that funding for lip-reading is being taken away, and millions thrown at sign language with no real, or tangible increase in communication support workers for the deaf, they are dropping out and not attaining the higher level skills they need to qualify as interpreters, mostly because it costs many thousands of pounds (sterling)< to take the exams, thenm selves a lottery because judging of skills is a lottery too,by virtue of regional variations in sign........

In the UK it is important to understand, that lip-reading is a system that DIRECTLY assists people losing hearing, students/pupils all need help, and there is no other system for the deaf adult in the UK.

By comparison BSL classes are the domain of HEARING people, (there are no deaf at BSL classes !), and BSL classeswork and it's teachers are NOT trained or qualified, to assist a student or pupil who has lost or losing hearing, as BSL is a 'language' option not a 'care' or 'support' or vocational option. So perversly they are dropping vital supportive options for people going deaf, who have nowhere else to go, in favour of training up people for those who already deaf.

Are they waiting for them all to go deaf first, so they can teach them sign ? How awful.....

Back