Epilepsy

GarnetTigerMom

Reaction score
What Is Epilepsy?

It's a strange word, isn't it? Epilepsy comes from a Greek word meaning "to hold or seize," and people who have epilepsy have seizures. You might also hear a seizure called a convulsion, fit, or spell.

These signals tell the muscles to move. During a seizure, a person's muscles tighten and relax rapidly or stop moving completely. Seizures come on suddenly, and people who have them cannot control their muscles while they are having a seizure. If too many brain cells are sending signals at the same time, it causes an overload and a person may pass out and shake all over. People who have epilepsy may have seizures only once in a while or as frequently as every day.

What's a Seizure?
Most seizures occur without warning, although some people have a funny feeling, an upset stomach, or a weird smell or taste right before a seizure. This is called an aura. Others find that certain things may bring on a seizure, like not getting enough sleep or playing video games.

Even though a seizure may look scary, it's not painful. During a seizure, the person may fall down, shake, stiffen, throw up, drool, urinate (pee), or lose control of their bowels. Other seizures are less dramatic. The person may just stare into space or have jerking movements in one part of the body. When the seizure is over, the person may feel sleepy and won't remember what happened.

Who Has Epilepsy?
About 2 million Americans have epilepsy, including boys and girls and people of all races and ages. Seizures can start at any age, but often they begin before age 15 or after age 65. Doctors often cannot explain why a person has epilepsy. They do know that epilepsy is not contagious - you can't catch it from somebody. Epilepsy is not passed down through families (inherited) in the same way that blue eyes or brown hair are. But if somebody's mom or dad or brother or sister has epilepsy, then he or she has a slightly higher risk for epilepsy than somebody whose family has no history of seizures.

How Can Doctors Help?
If a person has a seizure, doctors may do some tests, such as a CAT scan, an MRI, or an electroencephalogram (EEG). A CAT scan or MRI help a doctor look at a person's brain and an EEG records brain waves. Don't worry - these tests don't hurt at all. Blood tests may also be done.

All of these tests can help doctors try to find out what caused the seizure and if a person might have more seizures. But sometimes seizures are a one-time thing for a kid. Half of the kids who have one seizure never have another one.

For people who are diagnosed with epilepsy, most of them can control their seizures by taking medicines. As they get older, many kids with epilepsy get better and can stop taking medicine. For some kids, it may be difficult to get the seizures under control. A special diet or surgery may be needed.

Are Kids With Epilepsy Different?
People who have epilepsy may need to be careful in places where they could get hurt if they have a seizure, like a high place or in the bathtub. And they may not be able to do certain sports, such as boxing or scuba diving.

But other than that, people with epilepsy can live normal lives and do what everyone else does. They can go to school, attend college, and get jobs. They can get married and have children. Epilepsy does not limit a person's ability, but it may make a person feel different. So, if you know someone who has it, you can help a lot by just being a good friend.

So if you see someone or someone you know having a seizure, get someone to call 911 for help.

What Is Epilepsy?

It's a strange word, isn't it? Epilepsy comes from a Greek word meaning "to hold or seize," and people who have epilepsy have seizures. You might also hear a seizure called a convulsion, fit, or spell.

These signals tell the muscles to move. During a seizure, a person's muscles tighten and relax rapidly or stop moving completely. Seizures come on suddenly, and people who have them cannot control their muscles while they are having a seizure. If too many brain cells are sending signals at the same time, it causes an overload and a person may pass out and shake all over. People who have epilepsy may have seizures only once in a while or as frequently as every day.

What's a Seizure?
Most seizures occur without warning, although some people have a funny feeling, an upset stomach, or a weird smell or taste right before a seizure. This is called an aura. Others find that certain things may bring on a seizure, like not getting enough sleep or playing video games.

Even though a seizure may look scary, it's not painful. During a seizure, the person may fall down, shake, stiffen, throw up, drool, urinate (pee), or lose control of their bowels. Other seizures are less dramatic. The person may just stare into space or have jerking movements in one part of the body. When the seizure is over, the person may feel sleepy and won't remember what happened.

Who Has Epilepsy?
About 2 million Americans have epilepsy, including boys and girls and people of all races and ages. Seizures can start at any age, but often they begin before age 15 or after age 65. Doctors often cannot explain why a person has epilepsy. They do know that epilepsy is not contagious - you can't catch it from somebody. Epilepsy is not passed down through families (inherited) in the same way that blue eyes or brown hair are. But if somebody's mom or dad or brother or sister has epilepsy, then he or she has a slightly higher risk for epilepsy than somebody whose family has no history of seizures.

How Can Doctors Help?
If a person has a seizure, doctors may do some tests, such as a CAT scan, an MRI, or an electroencephalogram (EEG). A CAT scan or MRI help a doctor look at a person's brain and an EEG records brain waves. Don't worry - these tests don't hurt at all. Blood tests may also be done.

All of these tests can help doctors try to find out what caused the seizure and if a person might have more seizures. But sometimes seizures are a one-time thing for a kid. Half of the kids who have one seizure never have another one.

For people who are diagnosed with epilepsy, most of them can control their seizures by taking medicines. As they get older, many kids with epilepsy get better and can stop taking medicine. For some kids, it may be difficult to get the seizures under control. A special diet or surgery may be needed.

Are Kids With Epilepsy Different?
People who have epilepsy may need to be careful in places where they could get hurt if they have a seizure, like a high place or in the bathtub. And they may not be able to do certain sports, such as boxing or scuba diving.

But other than that, people with epilepsy can live normal lives and do what everyone else does. They can go to school, attend college, and get jobs. They can get married and have children. Epilepsy does not limit a person's ability, but it may make a person feel different. So, if you know someone who has it, you can help a lot by just being a good friend.

So if you see someone or someone you know having a seizure, get someone to call 911 for help.

Yeah... few friends of mine has it... some of them were born that way and others ususally had accident such as brain damages... it can be controlled with medicines and right diets...

Yeah... few friends of mine has it... some of them were born that way and others ususally had accident such as brain damages... it can be controlled with medicines and right diets...

Yep same as some of my hearing friends are also suffer from that too. It scary to watch few of them I know go in to seizure when they have no control over their body expect call for help and give them medication if you know what to do for that person. People think they will get epilepsy pass to them, so really a person can't get epilepsy to other people jump wrong picture. :)

Yes, I had some experiences with somebody who had seizures. One of my hearing college classmate sat beside me and she had a seizure. I told classmates to spread the objects away from her and did not touch her, but somebody held her and put something on her mouth to prevent bite injury. That scared me. I just found out that my best friend who had epilepsy. She didn't tell me after few weeks because she didn't want me to worry too much. I understood and told her no matter what happened to her in some future. No one knows how to cause this symptoms. God only knows. (The scientists and doctors are still working and studying in new ways to cure any diseases.)

Luvsd, you did better for your classmate than the ones who did potentially harmful, out-dated, or "urban legend" first aid.

Here is a URL for current first aid for an epileptic episode:

http://www.epilepsy.com/pdfs/seizure_first_aid.pdf

If victims' motions may harm them, first-aiders may gently cushion the exposed part with soft articles of clothing.

If victims vomit, they should be placed on their sides and their airways kept open as gently as possible.

As you knew better, NEVER try to insert anything into victims' mouths!!!

Chase, thanks for the info. Yes, I knew better, but no one listened to me. I was only deaf in the classroom. Sigh!

Fit and spell is offensive to some people with epilepsy. Its like calling a deafie dumb.

My son had what is known as "febrile seizures" until he was 10. They were grand mal seizures. If he had a fever, or if he played outside on a hot day and didn't stay dehydrated and take time to cool down every so often, he would have a seizure. Thank goodness he outgrew them....they are very frightening to watch.

I had seizures when I was fourteen and in 8th grade. Luckily they were controlled, and I haven't had any for 14 years YAY!

Luvsd, you did better for your classmate than the ones who did potentially harmful, out-dated, or "urban legend" first aid.

Here is a URL for current first aid for an epileptic episode:

http://www.epilepsy.com/pdfs/seizure_first_aid.pdf

If victims' motions may harm them, first-aiders may gently cushion the exposed part with soft articles of clothing.

If victims vomit, they should be placed on their sides and their airways kept open as gently as possible.

As you knew better, NEVER try to insert anything into victims' mouths!!!

Yep, I forgot about that first aid informations about putting the victims on their side and keeping their airways open. It been a long time to remeber that rule. Thanks for posting that informations. It useful and helpful. :)

Fit and spell is offensive to some people with epilepsy. Its like calling a deafie dumb.

I think too many people get scare of the reaction when a person go in to epilepsy sizures. I seen that happen at work. It was scarry but we have to help the person. It not really calling them deafie dumb. It more like they scare and don't know how to handle that situation. People just need to be educated about that and it could do a lot of good to he helpful to spread the word around to help people not to be afarid.

My son had what is known as "febrile seizures" until he was 10. They were grand mal seizures. If he had a fever, or if he played outside on a hot day and didn't stay dehydrated and take time to cool down every so often, he would have a seizure. Thank goodness he outgrew them....they are very frightening to watch.

AH, I bet it was so frighting to watch. Glad your son is doing so much better. Hugs. :wiggle:

I suffered for Epilepsy for a couple of years when I was a kid. I had the seizures on a daily basis- my head would jerk around (usually forward) and it scared the hell out the folks that witnessed it. Luckily after some time the attacks ceased and I haven't had a single episode of Epilepsy since my childhood.

When I was first diagnosed with Depression (prior to my Bipolar classification) I was told by two doctors that there may be a link between Epilepsy and Depression. Since that stunning declaration (by two physicians mind you) I had seen many doctors and each told me, included one of the best Neurologist in Miami, that what those two doctors told was a bunch of crap.

They were trying to milk my insurance provider dry because I was leaving their care. What ton of bullshit! That's why one must ALWAYS seek a second opinion- some doctors (if not most) do not give a rat's ass about your well-being/health...they just want to get paid, period. It makes me soooooo angry!

I have a friend that have it...she was born with it. I dunno how she is doing since then. It can be cured by having surgery but not 100%. And other friend of our have one also. She had it since she was 19 I think and controlled by medication for life.

:ty:GTM. It is very frightening to watch your child stop breathing and turn blue!

Yes, I can imagine since I am a mother myself and it's always scary to watch your child life to go into any type of health dangers. But I hear ya girl. :)

Back