Emotional Pain VS Physical Pain; Which is worse?

Well, if both sides occur to the maximum possible, I would point out that emotional pain can overwhelm the ability to feel the physical pain. I've seen someone in INTENSE emotional distress to a point that external senses i.e. feeling, sight, hearing and all that became numb. That victim, at times, will not realize that he or she was injured until they try to control their emotional state. I would say that emotional pain is worse than physical pain ONLY at their MAXIMUM possibilities.

sometimes an individual's emotional state cannot be controlled by that person alone.

for example, in my case, i take meds for my bipolar. while they help keep my bipolar mania and depression under control, they do NOT eliminate them completely.

as for what i can do to minimize my symptoms, i try to avoid habits, situations and environments that trigger mania and/or depression.

I think in this thread - the physical pain caused by medical illness is not covered. I think physical pain is more of trauma. For ie - cutting, car accident, fighting, getting shot, etc.

Jolie - am I right?

Actually, This thread is all about including all types of pain whether it's physical, social, emotional, mentally, spiritually, medical illness, so and on as a whole.

Physical pain can also be caused by various reasons. I suppose, it is all about how one can view at it differently.

Emotional Pain can lead to physical pain just as much as Physical Pain can lead to Emotional Pain.

I wanted to throw this in the mix;

Let's say - You're being shot in the leg by your friend that you've known for all of your life and you're stunned to know that your friend did this to you. Now, You have both emotional and physical pain due to this incident. How do you get to reel this in?

Another scenario would be - If you're running and you accidentally trip over on the sidewalk. You're ending up getting a scrape on your knee while your friend is laughing his/her head off at you for falling. It's no big deal, right? Do you get angry at your friend for not helping you getting up or you just get up on your own and brush it off knowing that this type of emotional/physical pain can simply be mended?

ah-ha.... excellent point, Jolie. :ty: for clarification. As for scenarios you described, now that's something to ponder on... :hmm:

I'll take physical pain over emotional pain any day. You can "slap a bandage" on physical pain but if you're hurting emotionally... that's a whole 'nother kind of problem.

Just my :2c:.

Granted. Physical pain is generally self limiting. Emotional pain has the potential to affect every single area of one's functioning. Emotional pain, as in the scenario Jolie described, can also cause physical pain to be much, much more debilitating.

ah-ha.... excellent point, Jolie. :ty: for clarification. As for scenarios you described, now that's something to ponder on... :hmm:

You're welcome.

Well, Ponder away and I'd like to see what your input are on this. ;)

Depends which damage will persist longer. Either physical pain that is chronic, especially as a result from injury, or emotional distress that is capable of sinking one into further depression can have a stronger sense, that if the other was experienced, it will be felt much worse.

sometimes an individual's emotional state cannot be controlled by that person alone.

That is correct.

for example, in my case, i take meds for my bipolar. while they help keep my bipolar mania and depression under control, they do NOT eliminate them completely.

I agree, I have seen that happen with someone that I know. Sometimes meds for that type can really escalate their mentality into the next level, even to a point where senses are lost.

as for what i can do to minimize my symptoms, i try to avoid habits, situations and environments that trigger mania and/or depression.

It is hard to minimize someone's problem even with 9 months still born, with *TINY* deaf culture telling her to "don't worry and move on", "You can always have other baby" and so on which kept inflicting her fresh wound constantly.

Watch "First Do No Harm" movie -- I think that movie truly demonstrate the evilness of medicine, even can create emotional pain exceed the physical pain in some aspect, maybe even more than thought?

It varies on the individual.

I know some people who make personal issues an obsession. The refuse to let it go and move on. They just sit around complaining over and over about the same thing.

It varies on the individual.

I know some people who make personal issues an obsession. The refuse to let it go and move on. They just sit around complaining over and over about the same thing.

True, but with this individual, medicine really numbed her nerves to a point that when I tapped her for attention, she didn't feel it at all. You know how it is when you woke up from bed, your arm under your head, stopped the blood flow leaving your arm in "sleep mode"? The same is true with her when she took medicine prescribed to by doctors.

It is hard to minimize someone's problem even with 9 months still born, with *TINY* deaf culture telling her to "don't worry and move on", "You can always have other baby" and so on which kept inflicting her fresh wound constantly.

Watch "First Do No Harm" movie -- I think that movie truly demonstrate the evilness of medicine, even can create emotional pain exceed the physical pain in some aspect, maybe even more than thought?

wow. i can't believe members of the deaf community (or even hearies for that matter) can be so insensitive. :mad:

thanks for the movie recommendation. i will definitely check it out. as for medicine, i think it has its' good points and bad. i do know that if it were not for meds, i would be in far worse shape emotionally due to my bipolar.
i

i've always send condolences and let them know that they are parents of an angel.....

Actually, This thread is all about including all types of pain whether it's physical, social, emotional, mentally, spiritually, medical illness, so and on as a whole.

Physical pain can also be caused by various reasons. I suppose, it is all about how one can view at it differently.

Emotional Pain can lead to physical pain just as much as Physical Pain can lead to Emotional Pain.

I wanted to throw this in the mix;

Let's say - You're being shot in the leg by your friend that you've known for all of your life and you're stunned to know that your friend did this to you. Now, You have both emotional and physical pain due to this incident. How do you get to reel this in?

Another scenario would be - If you're running and you accidentally trip over on the sidewalk. You're ending up getting a scrape on your knee while your friend is laughing his/her head off at you for falling. It's no big deal, right? Do you get angry at your friend for not helping you getting up or you just get up on your own and brush it off knowing that this type of emotional/physical pain can simply be mended?

i know what it's like to have emotional pain cause physical pain. since i'm prone to depressive episodes due to my bipolar, i experience migraines on a regular basis and the pain can be debilitating if i don't take my imitrex.

I think it also it depends what kind of physical pain one is enduring.

Sometimes physical pain/injuries last longer than the emotional pain.

Then again--it depends on the individual.

Currently at this moment--the only pain I been suffering is physical--and it's starting to get on my nerves........

it's because you've had some emotional scars in the past that led you to be numb... which is why you're being an AD jester.

Or my past was that boring.

It could be anything, right?

Me being AD jester can be from something else. From the past? Nay. From the present? Nay. From boredom? Yay.

i know what it's like to have emotional pain cause physical pain. since i'm prone to depressive episodes due to my bipolar, i experience migraines on a regular basis and the pain can be debilitating if i don't take my imitrex.

Yeah. That is why I wanted to create this thread to see where the core of the issue lies at. While both types of pain goes hand in hand, it is kind of hard to separate these two - depending on the given situation. Some situations can be easily dealt with but unfortunately, for some situations, it is the latter.

Yeah. That is why I wanted to create this thread to see where the core of the issue lies at. While both types of pain goes hand in hand, it is kind of hard to separate these two - depending on the given situation. Some situations can be easily dealt with but unfortunately, for some situations, it is the latter.

i agree.

For me, neither is worse nor better than the other. :dunno:

There's also been a vagus stimulator used for treatment resistent depression as well. Lobotomies are still used in some parts of the world, but I don't think the lobotomy is done here in the US anymore.

No it isn't. And the vagus stimulator is rarely used.

Agreed, Jolie. It is very difficult to separate the two issues. Emotional pain can cause physical pain, and physical pain can cause emotional pain. There are widereaching consequences to both. When treating pain of any type, we need to look not just at the source of the pain, but how it affects the individual on all levels and in all areas of their life.

Agreed, Jolie. It is very difficult to separate the two issues. Emotional pain can cause physical pain, and physical pain can cause emotional pain. There are widereaching consequences to both. When treating pain of any type, we need to look not just at the source of the pain, but how it affects the individual on all levels and in all areas of their life.

I agree.

When a person is in so much physical pain it can cause a person to be disabled temporary or permanently.

Then it can lead to depression. Due to the person can not do or enjoy the things they used to.

I injured my back a few years back. That was the worst pain I have ever experienced. I could not walk or move due to the pain was severe. Talking about hitting a nerve. I often suffer from back pain but never to that extent.
I was bed ridden for two weeks and I cried a lot. Not because of the pain. But due to I could not get up and do the things I wanted to do and the feeling of being helpless overcame me. I got really depressed.

Back