Eee PCs?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
What do you think of those ASUS Eee PCs?

I'm referring to those tiny 8" to 10" laptops that they sell at some stores, especially Target.

My roommate and I saw one at Target and at Best Buy. We were wondering how good those were compared to regular laptops.

Of course, we know they're not ideal for hardcore use for gaming and heavy software use like Photoshop, etc. We just wondered how good it was with regular use like MS Office, internet, YouTube, movies, etc.

Half of the people we talk to don't understand the product enough to explain in helpful manners.

The other half say that those Eee PCs are good for MS Office, internet (recommended to use Firefox), YouTube, movies. If you had an USB DVD drive, you could watch DVDs or install MS Office. If you downloaded movies from online, you could watch it on those laptops as well.

I have a few friends who aren't into gaming or Photoshop, but they've wondered if this kind of PC was good for them.

With the price being very low (between $300 and $400), is it really worth getting?

Just thought I'd throw this new product on the table for discussion. :)

Yeah, I've been noticing those prices are in the 300-400's lately off dealnews.com

The common downside with "SFF" (small form factor) hardware is that you lose power for compactness, which ya already knew.

There's also one major downside though. It's not just so much gaming or photoshop or any intensive programs.

Multitasking!

It's all about how they plan to use it.. I have seen people who love to keep 15 applications open on their taskbar, 10+ firefox tabs open at the same time, running like over 10 autostart icons next to their clock.

If they can put their pc down to simplicity and work on one application at a time, then they will have no problems with Asus EEE/netbooks/SFF pc'ing.

To me it's really like asking about buying a car. When those uninformed people go to best buy and ask about buying a netbook for the first time, they don't realize what they're really asking is "Can I replace my SUV with a Geo Metro?".

Yeah, I've been noticing those prices are in the 300-400's lately off dealnews.com

The common downside with "SFF" (small form factor) hardware is that you lose power for compactness, which ya already knew.

There's also one major downside though. It's not just so much gaming or photoshop or any intensive programs.

Multitasking!

It's all about how they plan to use it.. I have seen people who love to keep 15 applications open on their taskbar, 10+ firefox tabs open at the same time, running like over 10 autostart icons next to their clock.

If they can put their pc down to simplicity and work on one application at a time, then they will have no problems with Asus EEE/netbooks/SFF pc'ing.

To me it's really like asking about buying a car. When those uninformed people go to best buy and ask about buying a netbook for the first time, they don't realize what they're really asking is "Can I replace my SUV with a Geo Metro?".
Yeah, I know what you mean.

I like to multi-task. Sometimes, I'll have 10 tabs open in my Firefox window.

I'll even have a spreadsheet, a text editor, a calculator, and a video running at the same time while I quickly switch between them to work on them.

Most of my friends never use the tabs feature because they aren't aware of it or don't see the purpose of using it. I've taught a few of them to take advantage of it and they have slowly started using it, but the rest don't really use the tabs feature. They also don't multi-task as I do.

Would probably be great for traveling - could replace the mini dvd players that people take with them on flights, and being able to do other stuff as well ..

I'm referring to those tiny 8" to 10" laptops that they sell at some stores, especially Target.

My roommate and I saw one at Target and at Best Buy. We were wondering how good those were compared to regular laptops.

Of course, we know they're not ideal for hardcore use for gaming and heavy software use like Photoshop, etc. We just wondered how good it was with regular use like MS Office, internet, YouTube, movies, etc.

Half of the people we talk to don't understand the product enough to explain in helpful manners.

The other half say that those Eee PCs are good for MS Office, internet (recommended to use Firefox), YouTube, movies. If you had an USB DVD drive, you could watch DVDs or install MS Office. If you downloaded movies from online, you could watch it on those laptops as well.

I have a few friends who aren't into gaming or Photoshop, but they've wondered if this kind of PC was good for them.

With the price being very low (between $300 and $400), is it really worth getting?

You don't buy it now till Purple will announce about new things very soon.

Would probably be great for traveling - could replace the mini dvd players that people take with them on flights, and being able to do other stuff as well ..

Eee PC don't have internal DVD drive but you can use DVD drive via USB.

You don't buy it now till Purple will announce about new things very soon.

No matter what Purple does, with that little netbook, you could Skype any family from a wifi location whether deaf or not.

Plus they have way bigger hard drive and more RAM than my first computer.

The netbooks are "lite" version of PC.. It is great for travelling, school, or in WiFi area. I personally like MSI and Acer Aspire One. Asus EEE, I would pick 10 inch screen rather than 8 inch. Linux, Windoz of your choice.

I would suggest you to go to computer store that carry Live Asus Eee netbook and see how it can handle heavy load. Like you have 10 tabs on Firefox, Try that and see how Asus Eee handle (you just simply abuse it cuz it's a display model for this purpose). If it can handle pretty well. Then it's worth a $$$

Remember that it' have Intel Atom processor which can be 1.2 Ghz to 1.6 Ghz. You'll want to check to be sure that memory is upgradeable to 2 GB. It also have Intel 950 graphic adapter. It'll work with Ubuntu with Compiz. You might want to check out Youtube.com on Asus Eee with Compiz and games ect..

I would recommend you to get external slim DVDrw drive cuz it's easier to carry in bag and is small.. Also you can use DVD converter software to convert DVD movie to smaller AVI or MP4 format to fit your Netbook. Just transfer to USB flashdrive and plug it to netbook and enjoy movie. Or transfer via File sharing between your desktop to netbook so you don't have to carry USB flash drive and DVD drive.... Don't forget to add subtitle before dubbing it to smaller format.

If it's running on Windoz XP or Vista, It would be able to run SafeCracker game.

1.6Ghz processor is pretty average. I have 1.6Ghz Althon XP system and it's still fast as my AMD 64 2.2Ghz system. You still get around net quickly with no issue.

MSI Wind netbook allow you to overclock Atom processor to 1.8Ghz and RAM is upgradeable. So you might want to check it out for comparsion.

Catty

Some of the links are out-of-date. Enjoy!

http://regmedia.co.uk/2008/09/12/scc_table_2.png (chart of netbook features)
13 netbooks for $399 or less (13 netbooks for $399 or less)
http://www.bmighty.com/... (7 Netbooks For Your Business; warning: some are window OS)
http://translate.... (Comparison of net book)

If you want to see more about the eee, go to my website

Linux Documentation Links

and scroll 5/6 to

ASUS laptop (everything you wanted to know; sorry, no news/reviews)

Sheng-Chieh

p.s. I have the 701 4G linux eee (brought one month after the eee hits USA). The
focus of my website is linux OS, so if you want window OS, you're on your own.

Multitasking!

Don't you know some netbook already have dual cores? It's perfect for multitasking.

Back