Eating Disorders

moviestr_20

Reaction score
Umm, Hi guys

My name is Jenny, and I often wonder if there are any others besides me who struggles with an eating disorder? I'm specifically speaking of Anorexia (starving on purpose to lose weight) -or- Bulimia (puking food to not gain weight).

I find it very rare to come across people who happens to be deaf/hard of hearing to have this 'disorder'. I often feel out of place since in the hearing world, this 'disorder' is so dominant.

My question is, " Am I really an odd-ball? Or is there other deaf/hard of hearings that struggles with such disease?".

If you could, would you consider stepping up the plate if you struggle with it? I really don't care if you are 'practicing your disorder' -as one would say a "pro-eating disorder", or are recovering.

I kindly appreciate you guys reading my first post in this forum.

Jenny

Hello Jenny... I see you're not the only one on this forum. I also struggle with eating disorders. It is not quite common to find many deaf people struggling with them. Although I only know quite a few in real life. It'd be nice to meet more deaf people who are in the same situation as I am in. Of course, eating disorders aren't exactly classified in the 'nice' category, but like you said.. I do feel out of place with hearing people who are eating disordered. Anyway, I am at the point where I am admitting about my struggles with anorexia, to friends.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I have a hidden and private group (support group that is not seen by the public or general members except for those interested) that focuses on this area only. If you want to join, let me know. You're always welcome. :) I've had an eating disorder for years with that yo-yo weight tendency, and I have a terrible self-image (how I look at myself).

It's really hard to talk about things like these frankly when others look down at you for having such an addiction that is no better than being hooked on crack. I formed a private group with only members who would understand each other and give unconditional support and encouragement.

PM me if interested!

I hate to say this, but I'm usually disappointed with people who have eating disorders. I know a lot of people who look beautiful and still try to starve themselves. I have struggled with a few friends who were like that. I would do everything I can to make them happy because they are actually beautiful. I've had people coming to me saying that they would date those gals. They even try asking them out. They would turn the guys down then complain to me that guys never ask them out... which would then be their excuse to starve or puke themselves to nothing.

I knew one gal who had long hair. She thought it made her look fat so she got a haircut. Months later, she didn't like it so she cut her hair again on her boyfriend's birthday and it made him upset. In high school, she looked beautiful. She had breasts that guys would go for and an ass that would make guys drool. No, I'm not talking about huge breasts or a fat ass. I'm talking about an hourglass figure that would look great in a playboy magazine. Now, she's thin. Her ass has shrunk and her breasts are "mosquito bites". All she has left is her personality. Those who aren't severely overweight should be happy with themselves. They are beautiful people. People tell them that they are beautiful. If someone says "you're fat" or "ugly", that's only someONE. So what? YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

VamPyroX said:
All she has left is her personality. Those who aren't severely overweight should be happy with themselves. They are beautiful people. People tell them that they are beautiful. If someone says "you're fat" or "ugly", that's only someONE. So what? YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

LOL thanks vampy. The lady would have to gain a more permanent solution - It doesn't necessarily mean that person has to lose weight and and lose ass.. literally! :twisted:

From personal experiences, you can't convince the person that she is beautiful with the shape she has, even though such a comment is great to hear and it does help - she has to convince herself! Kate Moss and sizes 0-7 are "in," if you know what I mean (according to media)! Kids are so-o-o-ooo impressionable. I wish I had better role models, actually. :evil: Right now, I've only got myself to take responsibility for. :doh:

Oh girly.. you know I'm plus sized but I have a great personality to boot... it helps to have a great moral support group to go to in order to lose weight as I do need to lose weight myself for health reasons. I know I am thinking realistically.. I will not look like Kate Moss. I do think Emme is a beautiful model, she is a plus sized model and she has been making waves in the plus sized modelling world. I'd love to be a size 18 as that's my goal and I'm going to accomplish it just for me! :wiggle:

I know that we can't always convince others of their beauty. But everyone knows that whatever happens... HAPPENS. They can't assume that they're always ugly. If people are severely overweight, then I would have to say that they do have a problem. If they are too thin, they also have a problem. If being thin is something that is normal, then fine. I have a few friends who are very thin and that's normal for them. They aren't anorexic. They don't starve themselves. Even if she eats a lot, she's still that way. That's fine. However, there are gals who are very thin and you can actually see their bones through their skin. Even I'm afraid to hug them with a little fear that I might crush them. Those people should understand that not only are they hurting themselves... they are hurting other people. They hurt their families, friends, even boyfriends. If a gal's boyfriend isn't happy, then he isn't the right one. What if he prefers think chicks? Well, suppose they hit it off and eventually get married. Suddenly, she gets pregnant... could that be a turn-off for him? If not, what if she doesn't get her figure back right away? Will that turn him off either? If it does, then there's a problem... an unhappy marriage. Both should be happy with each other, no matter what. One can't be completely happy unless one is happy with oneself AND happy with others.

VampyroX- I understand where you're coming from, however you have to understand that when a person has an eating disorder- it affects their mind. Their whole world gets distorted and they can not think about everyone's feelings except their own. There is a reason for practicing an eating disorder (s) and usually it does not have anything to do with food/weight. It has to do with how one feels about oneself, and what happened to that person that caused them to use the eating disorder behavior as a 'coping mechanism'. Granted it isn't a good way to cope, but it might be the only thing they can think of that can be 'controlled' i.e., what goes in/out their mouth.

Your friends that complain that guys don't ask them out when they do, could be because they blocked that part. It can happen while they are in a 'self-hating' mode. They may acknowledge it may happen, but their feelings aren't there. So, they either put the 'no one likes me' feeling sheild up as the guys ask them...which makes them only remember later-- that feeling, not the actual occurrance of the guys asking them.

Whether you realize it or not, the eating disorder actually rules our mind, feelings and action. We can not control it if it gets out of control, we need professional help. However, if we reject help...then the real process of recovery can not work without an open mind.

All I can say is, yes...hate the eating disorder disease itself, but do NOT hate your friends or even put them in the 'god you're a loser' catagory. For we (friends and people) are not the EATING DISORDER, we're just in a mental bind. As hard as it may seem to understand, no one can actually try to even comprehend it without actually going thru this tormoil. JUST be there for your friends, also...***don't fall into the traps of #'numbers' game or mental games they may try on you to get them to validate their negative thinking.***

FREAKY- You go girl, do what you feel is right for you. If you feel size 18 is a perfect size, then go for it. Remember DO NOT lose weight for other people for that will fall back on you later on and can possibly re-gain the weight. Keep up the positive attitude!! Also, this is a good resource... Cals in verses Cals out--- remember, what you take in, you need to expend the calories in order to lose the weight ex: exercise. Another good tip is to DRINK lots of Water, and start getting in the habit of reading up on calories per serving...
GOOD LUCK!

LIZA- I'll pm you, for I'm pretty interested in joining the group, as is Burnt 5tar (know her). We're also involved in other groups (not the positive ones but we support one another's decisions).

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, and I'm byfar interested in hearing more from people in time to come.

Jenny

moviestr_20 said:
For we (friends and people) are not the EATING DISORDER, we're just in a mental bind. As hard as it may seem to understand, no one can actually try to even comprehend it without actually going thru this tormoil.

Very much true about the part up above. One of my friends who is also battling anorexia has been belittled by so many friends just because of the eating disorder itself. She chose to isolate herself. It's really sad, actually. I have not yet had this kind of experience, but I can understand how it would feel and such. Some people don't realize that it is a mindset.. it doesn't TAKE OVER our life, except for a few. In most cases, it is very difficult to overcome the disorder. It is up to the person to receive help or not.

People with eating disorders are overly-obsessed with calories & food, such as myself but that doesn't prevent me from doing anything I enjoy, i.e. hanging out with friends... going to places... etc.

I am becoming more open with my eating disorder, but still fear of what certain people would think. I mean, I don't want to be known as the 'anorexic girl.' I'm sure many people don't like to be labeled that way, as we are normal just like everybody. It really depends on the eating-disordered person, if they choose to isolate themselves or not. If you know or meet somebody who is in the same situation... keep in mind, we are just like YOU. :)

All I am asking for is respect, not pity or discrimination. Yet I have received none so far, which is good. I also have an abundance of respect for people with high self-esteem.. who are comfortable with their bodies. It is just amazing, I mean.. that would be NICE to just be able to eat whatever I wanted and still be comfortable with the way I look.

Whoever is in the same situation... don't hesistate to contribute your story to this.... or PM me, if you'd rather.

I know this person who has absolutely no weight problem. I think she's kinda depressed but she still hangs out with friends and stuff. She seemed doesn't care if she's hungry or not, she wouldn't eat. Sometimes she said I'm hungry and then I asked her let's go get foods and she was like no thanks. I rarely see her touch the foods.. She doesn't look THAT healthy. So, what should I do if next time I see her rejecting my offer for lunch/dinner? Should I bring up issue about her avoiding foods and stuff? She never complains about weight nor anything relate to it. Not once.

moviestr_20 said:
VampyroX- I understand where you're coming from, however you have to understand that when a person has an eating disorder- it affects their mind. Their whole world gets distorted and they can not think about everyone's feelings except their own. There is a reason for practicing an eating disorder (s) and usually it does not have anything to do with food/weight. It has to do with how one feels about oneself, and what happened to that person that caused them to use the eating disorder behavior as a 'coping mechanism'. Granted it isn't a good way to cope, but it might be the only thing they can think of that can be 'controlled' i.e., what goes in/out their mouth.

Your friends that complain that guys don't ask them out when they do, could be because they blocked that part. It can happen while they are in a 'self-hating' mode. They may acknowledge it may happen, but their feelings aren't there. So, they either put the 'no one likes me' feeling sheild up as the guys ask them...which makes them only remember later-- that feeling, not the actual occurrance of the guys asking them.

Whether you realize it or not, the eating disorder actually rules our mind, feelings and action. We can not control it if it gets out of control, we need professional help. However, if we reject help...then the real process of recovery can not work without an open mind.

Exactly!! For some reason, I am seen as a crack addict anyway. The kind that wears a size 18. That's fine and probably accurate if you are thinking of the psychological side. people are entitled to their opinions and *urk* normal ways of looking at things. If you want to call that normal. Usually, I am very tolerant and accepting of people's opinions even if I disagree with them. On some days, I just want to cry and kick the shit out of something (nonliving, that is). Even though my husband supports me warmly, he constantly looks for "magic" pills - diet pills.. CLA, Wellex, etc, as a way to help me achieve my desired weight. I would hate myself more everytime I ask my husband why and if he still finds me attractive. That's really an ugly thing to ask of him, when consciously I know that he is speaking the truth. Why can't I just trust it?

I have just seen a couple of old friends recently in person, and I know they were horrified at the sudden weight gain. They didn't talk much about it, but made me worse instead by giving me patronizing glances and a few comments. My family was no better either. My father has always made comments about my weight since I was in high school, and that was not easy to bear. I could tell you about the things I would do to lose the weight, and sometimes I was successful at a personal cost. See what I mean about having that yo-yo inclindation? (((no pity allowed, I am responsible for myself- but I would love a hug))) :thumb:

All I can say is, yes...hate the eating disorder disease itself, but do NOT hate your friends or even put them in the 'god you're a loser' catagory. For we (friends and people) are not the EATING DISORDER, we're just in a mental bind. As hard as it may seem to understand, no one can actually try to even comprehend it without actually going thru this tormoil. JUST be there for your friends, also...***don't fall into the traps of #'numbers' game or mental games they may try on you to get them to validate their negative thinking.***

Yeah, I think it would be cool if you tell them straight out "Missy, I care about you and you are beautiful - but it bothers me that you want to think negative about yourself. How can I help you?" I would bet Missy wouldn't know how to help herself either, too, and be upset at the realization. So, a hug might be in order... if she is receiving it. You can't do anything about it. If you know of good resources, just ask her if she is open to help first. She gotta want to quit, first.

(((E))) thanks for caring about your friend. You're very aware, and I commend you! I suggest if you are open to suggestions: ask your friend if there is a problem, and you can tell her that you feel something is bothering her. Let her identify the problem herself and open the lines of communication. It does take a brave soul to ask. I have a feeling she will thank you! Ultimately, just follow your instincts in what feels right to you.

FREAKY- You go girl, do what you feel is right for you. If you feel size 18 is a perfect size, then go for it. Remember DO NOT lose weight for other people for that will fall back on you later on and can possibly re-gain the weight. Keep up the positive attitude!! Also, this is a good resource... Cals in verses Cals out--- remember, what you take in, you need to expend the calories in order to lose the weight ex: exercise. Another good tip is to DRINK lots of Water, and start getting in the habit of reading up on calories per serving...
GOOD LUCK!

(((((((Freakygirl))))))) I have seen your pictures and vid, you are one gorgeous mama! Emme has nothing on you. And by gawd, I'll never forget that "pencil test!" Like Jenny said, just do what you feels right for you! It matters how you think of yourself, and I am destroying the old shitty template that has been looping those self destructive thoughts of myself - and in the process, wrecking those ugly standards society has held over our heads for so long... wanna do it together?

LIZA- I'll pm you, for I'm pretty interested in joining the group, as is Burnt 5tar (know her). We're also involved in other groups (not the positive ones but we support one another's decisions).

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, and I'm byfar interested in hearing more from people in time to come.

Jenny

Thank you Jenny. You're a gift!
What do you mean, not positive groups?? I haven't joined other groups..... I mean, I checked out the sites but didn't feel right for some reason about them... and I already had the resources to create a new group, why not do it on my own? You and burn5tar are always welcome! We are just starting.. and the group will be there to stay permanently! I am still figuring if it should be private or hidden or not. I welcome input on this! There'll be no moderators, only we will do it ourselves. I feel like I'd like to leave that up to the members of that private group!

I think the key is to dissolve fears that are floating around eating disorders... dissolve the power the fears have over us. But how??
:thumb: I have no idea, and I am hoping we can discover that together.

As of now - I told myself to JUST DO IT for me, and be more interested in my process - eat to live, not live to eat. I have lost 6kg/12 lbs so far without having to starve. But GAWD, I am tired of "doing it alone." I do think I have issues abt my self-image and insecurity, still. It wouldnt matter even if I were a size 7 or 12. There's this something I need to deal with, the final monster to conquer.

I hope this sheds some light for you guys who haven't had much exposure with people with real eating disorders..... I mean, it sucks and we know it. LOL
:applause:

burnt 5tar said:
Very much true about the part up above. One of my friends who is also battling anorexia has been belittled by so many friends just because of the eating disorder itself. She chose to isolate herself. It's really sad, actually. I have not yet had this kind of experience, but I can understand how it would feel and such. Some people don't realize that it is a mindset.. it doesn't TAKE OVER our life, except for a few. In most cases, it is very difficult to overcome the disorder. It is up to the person to receive help or not.

People with eating disorders are overly-obsessed with calories & food, such as myself but that doesn't prevent me from doing anything I enjoy, i.e. hanging out with friends... going to places... etc.

I am becoming more open with my eating disorder, but still fear of what certain people would think. I mean, I don't want to be known as the 'anorexic girl.' I'm sure many people don't like to be labeled that way, as we are normal just like everybody. It really depends on the eating-disordered person, if they choose to isolate themselves or not. If you know or meet somebody who is in the same situation... keep in mind, we are just like YOU. :)

All I am asking for is respect, not pity or discrimination. Yet I have received none so far, which is good. I also have an abundance of respect for people with high self-esteem.. who are comfortable with their bodies. It is just amazing, I mean.. that would be NICE to just be able to eat whatever I wanted and still be comfortable with the way I look.

Whoever is in the same situation... don't hesistate to contribute your story to this.... or PM me, if you'd rather.

Despite what you think, you ARE a gift! (((b5star))) Thank you for reaching out.

Back