DVD's and TVs W/O CC

Metaphysicist

Reaction score
I have an older tv that doesn't have CC and a very close friend who is deaf. I never messed with DVDs because I'm just not into movies. But she is. She recently got me a DVD player for Father's day. She told the sale person she needed something that would do CC on a tv that doesn't have CC. But what she got did require a tv with CC. We took it back and tried to find one that had what we need, but they wouldn't open the boxes so we could read the manual and see - which I can understand. But they also had no idea which model would do it.

We know such a one exists because I have had CC play on my tv in the past via a DVD player.

So, my question is: Does anyone know a model for this? I plan to get a newer tv as soon as I can. But I live on SocSec so I don't make much.

Oh, also: I've had a couple of people tell me to just use subtitles. They said that even shows that are originally in English also usually have English subtitles. This doesn't make much sense to me.

All new TVs have built-in CC in anywhere by FCC. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page

Your TV need his friend...called closed caption box.

classic_captions.jpg

I understand that you live on SocSec

Think twice before start to shopping on TV

Stay away closed caption box.

Next year on Feb 2009, all older TV, VCR, older DVD recorder and CC Decode Box which does not have built-in ASTC (Digital TV) will no longer over the air. Unless you have to sign up with Cable TV or DirecTV or Network Dish.

They sell lower price HDTV (32" LCD start from $450). Usually they sell $599 or higher. They do not have many Tube TV around in the show room. Due to weight and size.

If, you can't afford. That's sad news for you
But you can find used TV plus buy Digital TV box

I think there's some misunderstanding of what I am looking for.

I'm not concerned about the switch to digital as I have cable and am already covered.

$450 is over a third of my monthly income - and yes it is sad for me. But it is at least livable - the alt is worse.

I'm just looking for a model of DVD player that will show CC on a tv that doesn't have CC. I know they exist because I have used one on my tv a couple of years ago and it showed CC - and it didn't have a tv tuner in it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this before and thanks for the suggestions that you have given me so far.

I'm not concerned about the switch to digital as I have cable and am already covered.

$450 is over a third of my monthly income - and yes it is sad for me. But it is at least livable - the alt is worse.

I'm just looking for a model of DVD player that will show CC on a tv that doesn't have CC. I know they exist because I have used one on my tv a couple of years ago and it showed CC - and it didn't have a tv tuner in it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this before and thanks for the suggestions that you have given me so far.
I've never seen a DVD player with a decoder included.

I've never seen a DVD player with a decoder included.

Actually, there is a model that can. Panasonic DMREZ28, it's an upconverting DVD player with HDMI output.

The reason why they added it is because HDMI strips the CC signal. So they have to decode within the DVD player and overlay it onto the video signal.

I just suggest you get new TV because Gov will shut NTSC network down by February 17, 2009. ALL-DIGITAL TELEVISION IS COMING (AND SOONER THAN YOU THINK!)

Okay here dvd player
Walmart.com : Philips Upconvert DVD Player with DivX, DVP3960/37 : DVD Players & Recorders

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5584897

Just go to menu and enable CC.

I seem that your TV is older model like before 1988 or 1985 which does not have built-in Closed Caption.

If, you get DTV box (Digital TV). It will be very senitive where u live. They will be weak signal then poor to see pictures by over the air.

All DVD players do not have build in Closed Caption. They have many DVD movies offered subtitle in english or spanish or french. Just click remote on menu then your choice to pick english for subtitle.

If, you plan to buy TV. Most important to check built-in ASTC which accept after Feb 2009. I like built-in ASTC because I do not have to buy extra DTV box (Digital TV). My reason, I do not like extra plug electric outlet and too many junk equipments sit near TV.

One day, I read newspaper about people who can't afford. That's sad news for them.

Actually, there is a model that can. Panasonic DMREZ28, it's an upconverting DVD player with HDMI output.

The reason why they added it is because HDMI strips the CC signal. So they have to decode within the DVD player and overlay it onto the video signal.

No reason about HDMI.

I seen dvd players have built-in CC and no HDMI ports.

I have used one on my tv a couple of years ago and it showed CC - and it didn't have a tv tuner in it.

It sound like TV came from TV Station which does not have TV Turner. It must be very expensive. Over 25 years ago, we had TV monitor without TV Turner. So, I use CC Decode Box hook up with TV. It worked fine.

My son has my old TV without TV Turner in his apt at College. He hooked up with cable and use stereo/speaker.

Forget to say.... Some electronic Store like Circuit City, Best Buy, other companies. They do have special offer - payment for 12 or 24 months without interest rate (zero).
Please to make payment on time or earlier. If, you are late payment they will add $39 late fee (you have to read fine print).

If, you buy "Opened box sale" Sony 32" LCD HDTV for $550 plus tax. You will make payment $60 every month. You wil pay off with in 10 to 12 months.

I understand that you live on SocSec

Think twice before start to shopping on TV

Stay away closed caption box.

Next year on Feb 2009, all older TV, VCR, older DVD recorder and CC Decode Box which does not have built-in ASTC (Digital TV) will no longer over the air. Unless you have to sign up with Cable TV or DirecTV or Network Dish.

They sell lower price HDTV (32" LCD start from $450). Usually they sell $599 or higher. They do not have many Tube TV around in the show room. Due to weight and size.

If, you can't afford. That's sad news for you
But you can find used TV plus buy Digital TV box

It does NOT have to be a HDTV. There are plenty of digital TVs for under $300. They do not have widescreen and mostly are 25 inches or smaller. Of course, digital TV cannot display 720p resolution....only 480p maximum.

Darkage, I mean no offense, but I am having trouble understanding you. I take it English isn't your first language. Don't get me wrong, you are doing a lot better at English than I ever did in any other language.

My income is only around $800 a month, which is why I say buying a new tv - even a used one - is not an option now.

I can't do a payment plan either as my credit suck big time [ my grandkids ain't gonna get credit because of me.,..].

Someone above mentioned a CC decoder box. I looked at eBAy and found these two:

CLOSED CAPTION DECODER "CCD" BOX BY UNIVERSAL - eBay (item 150261367244 end time Jun-24-08 15:51:57 PDT)

CLOSED CAPTION DECODER "CCD" BOX BY UNIVERSAL - eBay (item 150261367244 end time Jun-24-08 15:51:57 PDT)

Am I correct in assuming that these two thingsa would take care of my problem?

I looked at ebay. I am not familiar with this brand.
Checked other items at ebay. They have price range from $5 to 145.

I found Telecaption at ebay. Long time ago, most deaf people used to have TeleCaption Decoder Box.
TeleCaption 3000 Closed Caption Decoder - eBay (item 380037888997 end time Jun-22-08 16:59:36 PDT)

I am very afraid to say good to buy CC Decoder Box. You should know what happen after Feb 17, 2009.

Gov will shut NTSC network down by February 17, 2009. ALL-DIGITAL TELEVISION IS COMING (AND SOONER THAN YOU THINK!)

They sell DTV box... I think that they should have built-in CC in DTV Box. You can set up color text and font styles. It cost you under $60. However, you can apply for $40 coupon. You will pay $20 plus tax.
https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Good luck for your shopping

Metaphysicist, the "captions" that you saw from a previous DVD may actually have been English subtitles that were turned on from the DVD's menu (software). Most new DVDs now offer English subtitles, or Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, as an alternative to closed captioning. However, many DVDs do not have subtitles and only have closed captions. Unfortunately, most DVD players do not decode captions.

A CC decoder box may indeed not be a very good investment just to get captions off a DVD player. Usually caption decoder boxes are used for broadcast television, but analog broadcasts will be stopped after June 12, 2009.

Another way of getting captions from a DVD is to play the DVD from your computer, assuming it has a DVD drive in it. Use software like Windows Media Player and turn on the captions from the software.

The DVD recorders with built-in digital tuners will usually decode captions, but they cost over $200, and that would be too expensive for someone on a very limited budget.

Many people are throwing out their analog TVs because they're switching to digital TVs. It may be possible to get a free, good analog TV with built-in caption decoding by signing up for a Freecycle email list in your area. It might also be possible to pick one up very cheaply at Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

Dana

I have an older tv that doesn't have CC and a very close friend who is deaf. I never messed with DVDs because I'm just not into movies. But she is. She recently got me a DVD player for Father's day. She told the sale person she needed something that would do CC on a tv that doesn't have CC. But what she got did require a tv with CC. We took it back and tried to find one that had what we need, but they wouldn't open the boxes so we could read the manual and see - which I can understand. But they also had no idea which model would do it.

We know such a one exists because I have had CC play on my tv in the past via a DVD player.

So, my question is: Does anyone know a model for this? I plan to get a newer tv as soon as I can. But I live on SocSec so I don't make much.

Oh, also: I've had a couple of people tell me to just use subtitles. They said that even shows that are originally in English also usually have English subtitles. This doesn't make much sense to me.

Bad news: they decide to eliminate the CC signal from brand new DVD player cause newer Disc movie have subtitle and thought that is good enough which is BS because I have several disc only provider CC and now it is worthless.

Back