Dvd Recorder

SoccerGuy89

Reaction score
I want to buy new dvd recorder, but few years ago i buy dvd recorder but it won't copy the captioning. Do you have any suggest for me to buy what kind of dvd recorder that had the closed captioning for record the dvd for some tv shows.

Im sorry if my grammer's little mess up i was so tired i couldn't think striaght.

We have same issue but we found another way...you'll need buy different DVD player and play it. I know it take up space but it does work. Try test it before you decide to buy a new one. We are planning buy one since our one of DVD recorder won't cooperate for some reason. :ugh3: (we have 2)

What exactly do you mean when you say it won't copy the captioning.

If you're referring to making the show captioned without the use of the decoder, you would have to have something sent through a decoder before being sent to the DVD recorder in order for the captioning to be included. If it's from the source straight to the DVD recorder without a decoder in between, then the captions won't be recorded.

If you're talking about the captioning showing up on television later from the DVD you recorded, then that should work if you turn on the captioning on the television. However, if your DVD recorder isn't doing that... it's probably cuz the DVD recorder doesn't record the captioning layer from the source. It's either that or the show isn't captioned in the first place. :dunno:

dvd

I mean when i want record one show on tv with captioning on but when i record it with dvd and it won't show up on the dvd but it show up on tv but not on dvd when it record.

I have one made by Zenith - don't know the model #, sorry, but it's a dual DVD/VHS player - that records the captions. (Cable plugs into the DVD player and the DVD player acts as a cable box, so it's not filtered through the TV first.)

I will have to check if my DVD recorder does captions, I will let you know. The only movies I have recorded on it so far were not captioned on the original VHS.

buy a closed caption decoder and hook it up to your DVD recorder.

they won't be "closed" captions any more but I doubt you'd ever want to turn the captions off :)

---

I should specify, hook it up to the input of the DVD recorder.

Last edited:
I mean when i want record one show on tv with captioning on but when i record it with dvd and it won't show up on the dvd but it show up on tv but not on dvd when it record.
It's like I said, it depends on how it's all set up.

In your case, it seems that it's the television that is captioned and you aren't using a decoder. So, whatever you record won't be permanently put on the DVD... but show up captioned when shown back on television again.

Here's what most people do for their television...

wall -> cable box -> DVD (VCR) -> television

or

wall -> DVD (VCR) -> television

Since the television is what's doing the captioning, the DVD recorder is only getting what the wall gives them. However, if you had a decoder separate from the television, then the layout would be different...

wall -> cable box -> decoder -> DVD (VCR) -> television

or

wall -> decoder -> DVD (VCR) -> television

Now that there's a decoder before the DVD recorder, the captions are included before being recorded. Now, the DVDs you burn will include captions permanently.

Whoa...does that really work to create open captions? I never heard of that method before. Too bad I gave away my old CC decoder many years ago!

Whoa...does that really work to create open captions? I never heard of that method before. Too bad I gave away my old CC decoder many years ago!
Yep, the captioning is a video output. The recorder will record whatever comes from the last video output.

The cable company gives you the cable. Out of the wall is the video and audio output into the television. The television translates that to what you see and hear. The television has captioning included, so it adds the captioning to whatever you're watching.

Oh, wait... what if you have a DVD (VCR) in between? That would make since since the video and audio output comes from the DVD into the television and the television translate that again... by giving you something to see and hear.

Oh, you want to add captions? It's like I said about video output. Since captioning is a video output, it needs to be from a device that adds captioning before it goes into the recorder. In this case, you would have the video and audio output coming from the wall into your decoder. Now, the decoder takes that video and audio input and adds captioning to it. Now that captioning is added when it goes back out as output, the recorder will record what it gets as input... a fully-functioning video and audio show plus captioning. :)

I have DVD/VHS combo recorder, it works with CC after record the tv program from DVD recorder.

I have DVD/VHS combo recorder, it works with CC after record the tv program from DVD recorder.
If you didn't have a decoder before the DVD/VCR, it will still be captioned cuz it's the television doing the captioning. But, if the captioning on the television was turned off... the captioning won't appear.

If you followed the method I mentioned recently with the decoder before the recorder, then the captioning will appear on television whether the captioning on the television is on or off.

don't know if it helps but i use my computer to do this.

Leadtek winfast card - AUS$45

Plug into your pc

Then using a SD Set Top Box i get the subtitles as the subs on the Leadtek are horrible. STB was $100 from Dick Smith.

Press record on the computer. How easy!

If you are using a dvd recorder. Ie straight to disc. I say do away with it and buy a hard drive based one. The topfields get rated the best. however i've never seem them work or how they subtitles work.

Back