Dry Up Ink

rhr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought Brother MFC-820CW two year ago, I use off / on power one year, ink is dry up! I am upset, my friend told me, not use off/on power, stay power and standby, I understand, I keep on power, oh age only 8 month, color ink are gone, but black still 45% left but I never use ink color, fasr dry up!, I hate it, I know I like Laser is better than inkjet because my desk and hatch not perfect for laser, all Multi-Function Laser is big machine than small Multi-function Inkjet. Do you know any small Multi-Function Laser or never dry up inkjet?

I am unhappy and hate Brother Company! Good is Kodak? Epson? Canon?, they can dry up or never?

I don't need color, I want Mono (b/w), if color never dryup, it is okay becuase Brother MFC display "Please replace Ink Cart, but cannot disabled color, I am not idea

who have Multi-function Inkjet and never dry up lifetime, I need know company and model
or
Who have Multi-function Laser small machine same like size as inkjet

and I need Wi-Fi, Copy, Scanner, and Printer, but no need FAX (if Fax have disabled, it is ok)

Any Idea?

It happens to ALL ink printers.

To keep the ink cartridges fresh, they need to be used frequently. Not using them for a long time can cause them to dry up.

I don't think standby and power off makes any difference. I'm told that it's better to turn it off because when it's turned on, the ink cartridge "opens up" as it's ready to print. While it's opened up, it dries up faster.

Also, it's best to use your printer at least once a month.

If you have a printer that you use only once a year, why get it in the first place?

I have a Lexmark ink printer that I use twice a week. My parents have 2 HP printers that they use at least twice a month. So, they don't have problems with the cartridge drying up.

I did have a Canon ink printer that dried up because I didn't use it for a year. :(

I have never experienced dried ink even though I don't use my printer very often. I usually print simple B&W text labels for CDs and DVDs every two months or so. And, my printer is always off unless I need to use it.

If you don't use the printer often, then maybe you should remove the ink cartridges and seal the ink outlet and air holes? And, it is also important to store the ink cartridges ink a cool place.

I also use generic ink refills, which is considerably cheaper than specific branded ink. Generic ink prints good quality text, but I wouldn't use generic ink for printing photos.

If you are going to buy a new printer, I'd buy a Canon, because I think they're easier and cheaper to refill. All new printers have chips on cartridges to stop people from reusing ink cartridges, but it is possible to reset the chip with software.

Another thing about buying ink printers...

Make sure it's the kind of printer where it prints directly from the cartridge, not from the printer itself. If it prints from the printer itself, then the inkhead will dry up rending your whole printer useless. If it prints from the cartridge and the inkhead dries up, then you can simply replace the cartridge. :)

I had a Canon multi fuction printer before but it got stolen. It worked beautifully and didn't have any problems because I use it time to time. I make copies, print out documents, etc. If you don't print for a long time, why bother getting a printer? If you want to print out something, just go to the library LOL.

Laser printers on the other hand are perfect for big printing jobs, not really for someone who doesn't print it for a long time.

I've seen my friend's Parallel Port Lexmark printer inkjet got dried out and gunked up on its own cuz he never use his printer for 6 years which it was brand new at that time he bought it. It was sooo funny when I pulled the cartridge and the dried ink built gunk about 1/4 inch deep. It's no good and he gave me the printer and I didn't want it so I donated his "new" printer to goodwill cuz it's not much value in Ebay anyway.

I agree with you that letting inkjet sitting for long time does dry up. Due to ink liquid that have high evaporation rate. It's best to use it often.

IF you don't use inkjet often, Why don't you invest Laser Printer cuz it use powdered ink in cartridge and last long time. If you didn't use it for long time, You only need to pull out the long cartridge and tap it on table on both side and shake sideway to even the powder inside and put it back in then power on laser printer to warm up then print!! They now do have color laser printer but very $$$$

Catty

yeah, you alrady know problem dry up ink

I need who never dry up ? I need model and company
or
I need small laser same size as inkjet multi-function

becuase I hard find website, nothing
I buy ink for up to six month for dry up, I will look new techology on 2009

yeah, you alrady know problem dry up ink

I need who never dry up ? I need model and company
or
I need small laser same size as inkjet multi-function

becuase I hard find website, nothing
I buy ink for up to six month for dry up, I will look new techology on 2009

Buy Laser printer! it will never dries up!

Catty

I have one HP laser printer and Canon ink printer. I almost use laser printer to print lots. Laser toner cartridge is longer to print about one year. Save money than Canon printer ink.

I used to be a copier technician and even tho it costs alot more to buy a laser printer upfront. It is alot, and I mean alot cheaper to use laser printer than inkjet. Over the course of 5 year, you would have spent less buying and using laser printer over inkjet printer.

I used to be a copier technician and even tho it costs alot more to buy a laser printer upfront. It is alot, and I mean alot cheaper to use laser printer than inkjet. Over the course of 5 year, you would have spent less buying and using laser printer over inkjet printer.

Yup, that's exactly right. So given idea how many time you buy inkjet cartridge per year or total of 5 years equal one laser printer cartridge, It's cheaper in a long run. It may seem expensive at first sight but by comparsion to Inkjet, it's cheap. If I don't use color often, I would go for laser printer.

Catty

Yup, that's exactly right. So given idea how many time you buy inkjet cartridge per year or total of 5 years equal one laser printer cartridge, It's cheaper in a long run. It may seem expensive at first sight but by comparsion to Inkjet, it's cheap. If I don't use color often, I would go for laser printer.

Catty

It's the same for color. Color printer is far much cheaper than inkjet over time.

Color laser printer will cost you around $300 to replace all toners. Black, and the 3 colors. I hope you got $300 to replace it, if you print a lot of color photos. :lol: I think typical monochorme laser printer's toner lasts for around anywhere between 3,000 to 10,000 prints, depending on make and model of the printer and toner size.

Color printer? it still use inkjet? Or are you talking 'bout new Laser Color printer???

Catty

I am talking about color laser printer. I had one before I moved here. I plan to buy me another one eventually.

Color laser printer will cost you around $300 to replace all toners. Black, and the 3 colors. I hope you got $300 to replace it, if you print a lot of color photos. :lol: I think typical monochorme laser printer's toner lasts for around anywhere between 3,000 to 10,000 prints, depending on make and model of the printer and toner size.

They are expensive upfront. However, they are cheaper in the long run. Just gotta pay more money at one time when buying something like the printer when new and the cartridges. The cost per print when compared to inkjet is alot cheaper. Do have to keep in mind, do have to buy new drums and belt after so many copies ( depends on model and make). However for most people, by the time those are needed. It would be better if not cheaper to get new printer instead of buying components.

I am talking about color laser printer. I had one before I moved here. I plan to buy me another one eventually.

They are expensive upfront. However, they are cheaper in the long run. Just gotta pay more money at one time when buying something like the printer when new and the cartridges. The cost per print when compared to inkjet is alot cheaper. Do have to keep in mind, do have to buy new drums and belt after so many copies ( depends on model and make). However for most people, by the time those are needed. It would be better if not cheaper to get new printer instead of buying components.

Yeah, that's true. I am aware that laser printers need drums and belt replaced, etc. I am thinking about buying a laser printer because I'm tired of spending money on inkjet cartridges, smearing on paper, etc. If I want to print photos, I can simply go to the store to get prints.

Yeah, that's true. I am aware that laser printers need drums and belt replaced, etc. I am thinking about buying a laser printer because I'm tired of spending money on inkjet cartridges, smearing on paper, etc. If I want to print photos, I can simply go to the store to get prints.

Sounds like a plan! :)

What brand and model are you thinking about getting?

I haven't researched on that yet. I think HP makes good laser printers. I don't want a huge one, just a small light duty model good for home. I'm not in a rush to buy one...maybe sometime in 2009.

Back