Do's and Don't's in the Dead community?

AllIsEqual1

Reaction score
Hi everybody. im Robyn. im 17 and HOH but i was brought up in the hearing world as my hearing was temporarily restored as a young child but gradually lost again which i now have hearing aids as a result.

I've always had a fascination for Deaf culture and found sign language so beautiful but i didn't know anybody who was Deaf or HOH or who was fluent. So anyway im trying to become more involved in the community where i live (im in the UK)

i was wondering if there's anything i should note what to do, what not to do, anything somebody might take offence to...im pretty hopeless when it comes to things like this, i also have autism so social rules etc are lost on me.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read. i hope this question doesn't offend as it certainly isnt meant that way.

Robyn :)

You mean "Deaf" not "Dead" :P

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

Hi everybody. im Robyn. im 17 and HOH but i was brought up in the hearing world as my hearing was temporarily restored as a young child but gradually lost again which i now have hearing aids as a result.

I've always had a fascination for Deaf culture and found sign language so beautiful but i didn't know anybody who was Deaf or HOH or who was fluent. So anyway im trying to become more involved in the community where i live (im in the UK)

i was wondering if there's anything i should note what to do, what not to do, anything somebody might take offence to...im pretty hopeless when it comes to things like this, i also have autism so social rules etc are lost on me.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read. i hope this question doesn't offend as it certainly isnt meant that way.

Robyn :)

You mean "Deaf" not "Dead" :P

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

This is a good illustration of what a difference proofreading can make as on the keyboard, used in the US among others, the D and F are next to each other.

Maybe it wasn't a typo. Maybe this thread is for Deaf vampires or zombies only. :eek:

This is a good illustration of what a difference proofreading can make as on the keyboard, used in the US among others, the D and F are next to each other.

Agreed! It is also why I have a disclaimer for spelling and grammatical errors when using the iPhone app for AllDeaf. I would have sworn that I typed in the correct word, only to discover shortly afterwards that autocorrect changed the word.

Hence the well-known DYAC! website, where texts with autocorrected words are sent in for a couple of laughs. (DYAC! stands for Damn You Autocorrect!)

For those using voice input, speech recognition isn't exactly accurate.
I get lazy myself, but, the fact is, you have to proof read your stuff.

And, this is a good thing because it helps to improve your writing skills.

For those using voice input, speech recognition isn't exactly accurate.
I get lazy myself, but, the fact is, you have to proof read your stuff.

And, this is a good thing because it helps to improve your writing skills.

Exactly. I proof read my texts, e-mails, instant messages, and even AllDeaf posts (I will self-edit some posts quite a few times until it reads just the way I want it to).

As the saying goes, "If you don't use it, you lose it." I try to uphold myself to high levels of competency in reading comprehension and written composition for English outside of school at all times. I read frequently and draft writing entries on my free time.

Some of my friends think I'm an anal grammar nazi, and I'm aware of that. It's just that I have always known that my level of reading comprehension and written composition in English was my connection and my lifeline to the world all around me. I'd hate nothing more than to see my literacy decline as I depend on it for success and productivity in academic, professional and other aspects of my life.

Maybe it wasn't a typo. Maybe this thread is for Deaf vampires or zombies only. :eek:

granfandango.jpg

I have a T shirt with this on it, it's my favorite one.

Well I can see I'm off to a fantastic start in this community. Running on two hours sleep I guess I should have proof-read more than once. At least I generated some laughs :)

Well I can see I'm off to a fantastic start in this community. Running on two hours sleep I guess I should have proof-read more than once. At least I generated some laughs :)

You are off to a good start!

Welcome from the deaf Vampire faction! :wave:

I remember someone introduced me once, describing me as a "bit death"...I thought, this is why I have no friends....who wants to be friends with Death?

Laura

In general, the undead should avoid decapitation. Depending on type (vampire, zombie, frankenstein's monster type reanimations,…) other hazards apply including but not limited to
-fire
-religious symbols
-garlic
-silver
-sharp objects in heart
-daylight
-other undead (the politics are horrible even within your own group)

As for the do's, they all seem to prefer virgins.

giphy.gif

I just hate it when hearing people always come up with the "dead" word instead of "deaf" word. Even I caught someone like my nephews saying the word "death" when they talked about my hearing loss. I was upset and had to correct my nephews not to say the word "death". I am deaf and I am not dead. Gotta use the letter "F", not "th", if that is what hearing people think. :roll:

In general, the undead should avoid decapitation. Depending on type (vampire, zombie, frankenstein's monster type reanimations,…) other hazards apply including but not limited to
-fire
-religious symbols
-garlic
-silver
-sharp objects in heart
-daylight
-other undead (the politics are horrible even within your own group)

As for the do's, they all seem to prefer virgins.

giphy.gif

Ooops, you meant Deaf Do's and Don'ts. Sorry. Deaf people should also avoid decapitation, sharp objects in the heart, and the undead. And always, be safe when around fire.

well dead has it own culture (coffin and cemetery) but no languages at all. maybe silent for life......

Back