Don't you hate it when hearies think we are spoiled brats?

When I was little my brother called me "plastic ears." Never bothered me; I could remove my hearing aids but he was stuck with freckles.....:D

Laura

being deafie bothered because my father was aways hitting me for being HOH as I did not hear him calling for me . I really hated being HOH as child as is cause me nothing but verbally and physically abuse from my family.

"Spoiled rotten" or a "Spoiled Brat"?....Never....School of Hard Knocks here....Learned the hard way.

Well, they need give us a chance to get a job. If they don't. Then we're spoiled. Pffty.

Well, they need give us a chance to get a job. If they don't. Then we're spoiled. Pffty.

The only people I have heard bitch about deaf people collecting disability are other deaf people. Of that group, it's mostly women who think men should have a job. Other than that, I've never heard it.

My 2 sisters and ex brother called me deafie when I was a little girl . I would rather been called a spoil brat than deafie. And one of my sister was younger than me.

I like being called a deafie.

Spoiled brat implies that you are self centered and the world revolves around you.

Being called a deafie just implies that I am deaf...which I am.

If I was called a spoiled brat as a replacement for "deafie", it would be wrong because I am not self centered and I dont think the world revolves around me.

Yep, I like "deafie".

Spoiled brat implies that you are self centered and the world revolves around you.

If I was called a spoiled brat as a replacement for "deafie", it would be wrong because I am not self centered and I dont think the world revolves around me.

Yep, I like "deafie".

I don't think it was the term itself bothering whatdidyousay!, but the intent behind it. It sounds like it was used as a name-calling type label in that case. :hmm:

Then again, I wasn't there so I don't know. Just what it sounds like to me.

Yep, I like "deafie".

Ditto. well said.

Being called a defie does not bother me anymore than being called a whitie, I am what I am. What bothers me is being treated like I am stupid because I do not speak.

My daughter, who is hearing, has been called a spoiled brat because after being told constantly that she is beautiful, her ego grew to the size of Manhatten. Her attitude does definitely warrant being called a "spoiled brat".

Deaf people have been called names from low functioning, stupid, deaf and dumb, mute, and so forth but spoiled brat is definitely a new and strange term for deaf people. With all the negative labels on us, why not just add another one?

Yep...and how about "mentally retarded" or "retards"?...A family member even told me that...."most deaf people are mentally retarded!"...No need to say what I blasted her with...and never spoke to her again!

I have had a hearing loss since age 5 (one side following infection after measles in 1947) and then problems on other side to the point of that now being profound. I am still in the hearing world and had NEVER run across the terms "deafie" and "hearie" until I came to the forum. They BOTH seem stupid to me and make me want to scream!!!!!!! How did either ever become acceptable anywhere?

I have had a hearing loss since age 5 (one side following infection after measles in 1947) and then problems on other side to the point of that now being profound. I am still in the hearing world and had NEVER run across the terms "deafie" and "hearie" until I came to the forum. They BOTH seem stupid to me and make me want to scream!!!!!!! How did either ever become acceptable anywhere?

They are just little slang terms of affection. :)

You may notice I never use "hearie" and "hearing" will do just fine, as I don't feel any of that affection.

Of course you don't like that either.. Or dogs..

:hmm: Now I am wondering what you do like???

Deaf or hearing, who you are doesn't matter. Keep in mind the hearing world is not aware of issues concerning the deaf, so with that said, it matters more how you come across with your expression. Realistically, everyone can't be expected to know about everyone's condition, so you got to help them understand on how best to accomodate you. If they are truly jerks, do what you will, just don't stoop to their low standards.

Last edited:

Yep, I like "deafie".

You would not had like it the way I was called deafie , it was done in a very mean way. Maybe you like it now because you're older , but if you where called four letter words by your father too you would feel difference about it

I don't think it was the term itself bothering whatdidyousay!, but the intent behind it. It sounds like it was used as a name-calling type label in that case. :hmm:

Then again, I wasn't there so I don't know. Just what it sounds like to me.

It was done by 2 sisters and ex brother they called me deafie to be mean . A child should feel safe in their own home , I have no idea what that feel like. Needsleep, I can only hope you had a better childhood than I had.
If I was child today my dad would be in jail and I would had been removed from my family. I am glad you where not there.

Well, my friends and I went to Applebees two weeks ago after basketball tournament and we supposed to wait about 35 minutes for our turn to get a table. Somehow, host lead us to the table right away and I saw some hearing people looking at us in disgust. :giggle:

Well, my friends and I went to Applebees two weeks ago after basketball tournament and we supposed to wait about 35 minutes for our turn to get a table. Somehow, host lead us to the table right away and I saw some hearing people looking at us in disgust. :giggle:

I am not sure why you given a table sooner for being deaf or hoh unless one of you where an older person . When my daughter took me out for motherday
and Finlay ,my hearing dog was with us with we got a table quickly , I think it was because my dog was so big they wanted get out of the way.

I am not sure why you given a table sooner for being deaf or hoh unless one of you where an older person . When my daughter took me out for motherday
and Finlay ,my hearing dog was with us with we got a table quickly , I think it was because my dog was so big they wanted get out of the way.
Sometimes it also depends on the size of your party, and which tables become available. They don't go strictly by the list order.

Back